Inspired to S2

Dougg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Partly due to this forum, and side trips to resources mentioned here, I recently got an S2 with 70mm lens. I’d had the opportunity last May to use one briefly at a Leica Roadshow event, and I’d been thinking about it since.

One thing that delayed me was the pending Pentax 645D, as my 645NII kit could be a good start on making the 645D useful. Different commenters had contrary views on the very different user interfaces of the Pentax vs Leica. And I noted the very different pricing.

I was always more attracted by the S2 form factor. I have never been fond of the boxy body shapes of typical MF SLRs... including even the Pentax 645. I had bought into the Pentax 6x7 long years before, partly because I liked the handling, and this same issue steered me toward the Leica. The S2 is also smaller and more discreetly “ordinary dSLR” in appearance than the 645D.

Though admiring the S system optical quality, I got from Dale Photo an adapter that allows me to fit any of my many Pentax 67 lenses. Missing AF and auto-diaphragm, but it’ll be interesting to see what comes out of this combination.

So, thank you for the inspiration, and I hope to see here ever more useful and interesting views.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I also second what has been said in this thread. I am really very happy with this camera, as I found the real pleasure I had with the R9/DMR combo. To me, the S2 is the real continuity after the R9/DMR's death, and the need for many focal lenses is less important. I have never been fond of "standard" focal lengths, so I choose to have the 35 mm and the 120 mm. Both optics are incredibly sharp. Longer focal lengths will certainly need to be used on a tripod because the sharpness of these new lenses requires very steady hands...

On the S2, the mirror damping system is also wonderful.

You won't regret !

Gérard

gdb

I agree with your choice of 35mm and 120mm as that's what I use myself. But any lens can give great results.

I find 35 and 120 allow me a range of what I need for my work, but I was happy with just the 35 for 6 months while waiting for the 120. As more lenses are made, more people will come into the fold.

Here are some proof samples of the range of work I need to handle, from landscape, architecture, and portrait. All done with 35 and 120. Shot on a two day trip. The Salvation Mountain was quite colorful. Walked though it with just the 120 and then went back and shot it with the 35. Only changed lenses twice. For the two days less than one card, one battery 600 shots, no problems just worked.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/173870-mountain-man.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/architecture/173863-salvation-mountain.html

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/landscape-travel/173858-joshua-tree-national-park.html

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Doug:

How are the Pentax 67 lenses working on your S2? I too have a collection of 67 glass including the 300, 400 and 800nn ED lenses. I am looking at a S2 with one of David's adapters as well as a Pentax 645D Pentax 67 to 645 adapter. I have heard of shutter bounce problems from several P645D users when using long lenses and slow shutter speeds? Do you have any experience with the S2 with long lenses and slow shutter speeds?

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil -- The P67->P645 adapter from Pentax is nice in that it retains communication between body and lens; auto diaphragm etc. The P67->S2 adapter does not, so one needs to use the Auto/Manual switch on the lens to stop down manually for the shot.

Also, the S2 adapter from Dale Photo has inner-bayonet only, so any long P67 lenses that mount with the outer bayonet will not fit it.

So far, the illustrated 100mm Macro is the only P67 lens I've used on the S2, and only on one outing. I need to shove paperwork aside and get out there and shoot! I'll also try the 45, 55, 105, 165... The 300 f/4 non-ED is my longest lens, not sure how well it would do.

As the shutter of S2 is smaller than the P67 and P645 I expect there would be less shutter shake. Likely for the P645D too...

Sounds like you are considering the P645D as an attractive option... The reviews don't dwell much on interface issues, but this was very important for my decision. These two cameras have very different styles - direct opposites - in the interface controls. See what you prefer... and enjoy the shopping!

Edited by Dougg

Hi Doug:

How does the S2 - P67 adapter decided the max aperture of the P67 lens? I have been told that in order to use the adapter in stop down metering mode, the camera must first be fit with an S lens and the camera then set to the max aperture of the P67 lens. The S lens can then be removed from the S2 camera and the P67 lens mounted. I was told that this procedure is necessary to insure proper metering. Obviously this approach requires the purchase of a S lens.- something I hoped to defer until later. Does this procedure match what you do or is there a way to trick the camera? I have used stop down metering on many other cameras (but not Lecia S2 cameras) with electronic controlled aperturesand have never had to mount a factory lens first.

Thanks

Phil