Erwin Puts' newest Compendium nearing completion

ho_co

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is not the point. The point is: the seller is not telling me whether or not I should send payment. Reason for not sending would be: books are sold out. I didn't put in a reservation last year.

I've bought a copy on the same premise as you would: that if it was sold out then my payment would be refunded. Erwin Puts is well enough respected that I have no concern about a refund being made. YMMV.

Pete.

This is not the point. The point is: the seller is not telling me whether or not I should send payment. Reason for not sending would be: books are sold out. I didn't put in a reservation last year.

I mailed my reservation last year, but Puts is both a scientific-minded an an honest man : so I think that he valued the reservations just to plot a reasonable batch of printings (of course higher than the reservations received), and also that he will surely refund, in case, the people who paid and can't get the book... after all, WE (as forun members) are probably the biggest single group of "customers" for him... impossible he thinks to gain a bad reputation hereby.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

... The point is: the seller is not telling me whether or not I should send payment...

:confused:

The paypal link he provides at the Blog entry will take your money. I'm sure he would disable the link if he knew he couldn't supply.

Edited by ho_co

:confused:

The paypal link he provides at the Blog entry will take your money. I'm sure he would disable the link if he knew he couldn't supply.

Okay, first of all I did not say or imply that Erwin Puts is not legitimate or anything like that.

I don't personally know Erwin Puts. All I know is that he authored a book I bought on Amazon, that he runs a very good website frequently linked to by others and that his articles helped me buy Leica equipment and lenses.

I said I was unclear about the purchasing process and I reacted on somebody else's post about Erwin not being very active in his emailing.

Then somebody outlined the process: send payment, get book or get refund if no book is left. This was good information, that by the way is not on the website. I haven't spent centuries in the Leica world and I do not have years of business relationship with Mr. Puts to be able to form an opinion in any way.

But please do not imply that I am too dumb to read his website, because that "Paypal" link you quote in his blog post is not at all a Paypal link. It's a mailto link and it will pop up your email application - nothing else. Frankly, this is the very link I used to query about availability of a copy of the new book.

But please do not imply that I am too dumb to read his website, because that "Paypal" link you quote in his blog post is not at all a Paypal link. It's a mailto link and it will pop up your email application - nothing else. Frankly, this is the very link I used to query about availability of a copy of the new book.

The email address is what you use in Paypal as recipient for your transfer.

Ian

Advertisement (gone after registration)

... But please do not imply that I am too dumb to read his website...

I didn't imply that you were dumb, though you might have inferred that. It wasn't my intention to annoy, and I don't know how you could have been were annoyed by my post.

You seemed to be having trouble understanding. Others posted different attempts to help you, and I did the same.

As Ian pointed out, the paypal link is not the communication link to Dr Puts, but the link to initiate paypal transfer. Mr Puts' email address is different from the paypal link, is included in the "contact me" link at the bottom of each page of his site, and is the way to initiate conversation with him.

Whether you've had centuries of experience dealing with Erwin, or whether you know him personally is completely beside the point. I've never met him and this is the only time I've had financial dealings with him. I did so by clicking the paypal link, which opened an order page in my email client. I stated the number of copies of the book I wanted, and in a day or so received acknowledgment from paypal, in a month acknowledgment from Mr Puts.

I'm sorry if you find my attempt to assist you in your confusion demeaning. Everyone needs help at some time; some people benefit more from one type than others.

It's really not worth your or others' time to try to decide whether anyone thought you were dumb. Have you now placed the order for the book, or not? Either way, the problem is solved and you needn't feel compelled to continue explaining your understanding of the process, though of course, you're welcome to do so. :rolleyes:

I'm glad my initial post helped you on the way to ordering the book. :)

Edited by ho_co

Thanks. I am really looking forward to the book.

May I suggest to also issue the book electronically for Kindle, iBook, etc.

I don't think I will ever read the book cover to cover.

But digitally looking up important information would be a great time saver for me.

Best, K-H.

• Like 1

Some update on Erwin's blog: shipping week will be week 16.

Hmm. For me, that link currently brings up the February 2 posting and the same January 21 information we've had.

At any rate, the expectation mounts! :)

EDIT, subsequent to K-H's post below:

Now that's strange! The sixth time I reloaded the page, the update appeared. I wonder if it's cached somewhere, or maybe I do live in a timewarp. Sorry to have doubted. :o

Thanks, K-H and mby.

And bravo, Dr Puts!

Edited by ho_co

Please refer to posts #56 and #57 of this thread.

To answer your questions: Yes, No, but go to his web site Blog.

He writes, quote:

"Update on Leica Compendium

16/03/11 16:04

There is finally a firm date from the printing company for the delivery of the book. Week 16 is the delivery week That is just for Easter! The reason that it took so long is the expanded size of the book. The final and definitive size is now 604 pages (!!) with 1000+ illustrations. I am really happy with the result and I am sure the content will compensate the delay. To give an example: the lens review chapter in the book has more pages than the total for the previous Leica Lens Compendium. Every lens entry has at least four images (the picture of the lens, the lens diagram and the MTF graphs). The history chapter is a book in itself: more than 140 pages.

I am also very grateful to all my friends who ordered and/or prepaid the book. The expanded size of the book has its affect on the printing costs. But teh price as quoted will not change. I am not a real businessman as you have already discovered. But I am happy to share my knowledge about Leica with all of you. As far as I know this is the largest and most comprehensive book about Leica. "

Best, K-H.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...