Unusual Leica Lens information request (w/pics)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I read the stickies here but I am a new user here so I hope I am not violating rules. If so pardon my ignorance. I recently purchased a couple of Great lenses that don't seem to match commonly known information widely available on the net and was hoping someone could set me straight if they are true rarities.

The first is a chrome M mount 90mm 2.8 fat Tele Elmarit serial # 16840xx manufactured in 1959. Information I have found is that these did not start production until 1964.

Second is a chrome M mount 135mm 4.5 Hektor fat serial # 15833xx manufactured in 1958. I have done extensive searching and cannot find any info about lens like it anywhere, I was told that only 1900 of these were ever made s/n from 1583101-158500 in 58. I got both of them from the grandson of the Original Owner who is from Nova Scotia if that helps at all. That is all the info he had other than they had the original receipts but that his wife said they weren't important so they were tossed. I have read that the Hektor has a reputation as a poor performer, but it seems above average to my eyes. Bokah is gorgeous. The extra photo is a test shot from it at f4.5 to check how it renders bokah. Old Kodak Gold 100 I found laying around dated from the 90's eek...

I have attached pictures of both the lenses. If anyone has knowledge about these any info would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for valuation just wanted to know if they might be rarities worth further investigation or appraisal. I do not want to go to that expense unless it is warranted.

Thank you!

Hello,

The first item is not a ‘Fat Tele Elmarit ‘ at all – it is the lens head of the Elmarit 2.8/90mm mounted in a 'short focusing mount' 16464 (OTZFO). This combination is used on the Visoflex II or III reflex housing and as such will provide focusing from about 50cm to infinity.

The second photo depicts a Hektor 4.5/135mm lens head in a short focusing mount 16495 (ZOOAN), which can be used on the Visoflex I reflex housing and provide focusing from 1.5m to infinity.

Both items on their own, cannot be used on a Leica body directly and have to be used with the appropriate Visoflex reflex housings. It is quite possible that the ‘grandson of the original owner’ still has the original focusing mounts that will allow these lenses to be used on a Leica rangefinder body.

This is a common problem when somebody purchases Leica items assuming that they are valuable, only to find out later that both the seller and the buyer should have done a little bit more research before selling or buying…..

Nevertheless – both items seem to be in excellent condition cosmetically and can be useful to somebody who is already well versed it the Visoflex system……

Best,

Jan

• Like 2