The Lightroom 3 thread [including "Does my free SN work with LR3?"] [Merged]

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good work, Chris!

Let us know if this gives you the full app, or whether it allows an upgrade path.

Cheers,

John

Hmm - unfortunately the code sent by Leica was rejected by the version of LR3 that I downloaded from the Adobe website (downloading a trial and then inserting the registration code).

I've written back to software support at Leica - now waiting for a reply...

BTW - if anyone's in a hurry to buy - don't forget that if you're involved in education (as I am) Adobe's educational prices are REALLY good (GBP 65 for LR3)

I find the white border around the image when using the 'lights out' feature rather distracting. Has anyone found a way to turn this off?

There is a thread on the Adobe LR forum on this annoyance, including a plea to Adobe to add the option to remove it in LR3. But it looks like it can't be removed. I sure can't find a way.

John

I think he's talking about the LR3 upgrade serial number and the process of upgrading for those who already had LR2.

And I think he's also doing this on the basis of buying the upgrade. IMHO it's perfectly reasonable to be expected to do this - I don't see why Leica should be expected to do this for us. My own interest is to see when LR3 becomes available for first time registrations of the M9 (or deferred downloads for those of us who bought M9's earlier and didn't take up the LR offer as we already had a copy...)

I recommend "AppCleaner" to you.

It is a free application, very effective for uninstalling.

Make sure it doesn't catch the Library.

Again, when upgrading to a newer version (of just about any s/w, not just Lightroom), DO NOT use this type of software! There´s nothing wrong in itself with it, but there are folders and files in e.g. ~/Library/Application Support and in ~/Library/Preferences that you do need to leave in their place for your settings and presets to carry over to the new version. "Application deletion" software specifically sniffs out such files and deletes them, and so they should ONLY be used when you want to stop using an application altogether, and therefore want to purge your system of all remnants.

In this case the only thing you do want to get rid of is the old LR 2 package in the Applications folder, so just drag it to the trash, and that´s it! You´ll need an admin password to do so, but you would have to enter that password even when using deletion software.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The download process is a nightmare.

You have to download and install a set of extensions from Akamai.

Then, I selected the English version of LR 3 (Trial), but the version installed is the Spanish version (the language of my computer).

The Spanish version has a HORRIBLE translation. It is so bad that I cannot understand at all the meaning of several presets, menus or tools.

I cannot believe Adobe may sell this for $299. If they cannot manage a proper translation, sell it in English!

I am tempted to go for Aperture 3.

Edited by rosuna

Well, I have found you can change the language by going to Preferences > Language & Text and setting the English as the first option.

Then LR 3 appears in English.

The bad news is that many other applications of the operative system (like Address Book, Disk Utility or the Preferences itself) will be in English too.

Therefore, if you have an OS in a non-English language you will be forced to use the translated version of LR 3.

I don't know how it is in German or French, but the Spanish version is a disaster. Sometimes there are differences among Spanish versions because the Spanish language have minor expression and vocabulary differences (Spain, Mexico, etc.). This is not the problem. The problem is an awful translation.

For instance, I read "lente" everywhere. In Spanish the correct word is "objetivo". "Lens" is translated as "Lente", but "Lente" in Spanish is "Lens element", the small glass parts of which an objective is made. "Vignetting" is translated as "Viñeta", but the correct translation is "Viñeteo". Many other words are translated from English literally... and that is wrong and ridiculous.

Therefore, if you have an OS in a non-English language you will be forced to use the translated version of LR 3.

I don't know how it is in German or French, but the Spanish version is a disaster. .....

. Many other words are translated from English literally... and that is wrong and ridiculous.

Well, I´m in Sweden, and I´ve got many a laugh from the "Swedish" used in Lightroom....

However, there is a rather simple way to get rid of an offending language version and get English as the language used, without changing the system language.

First, quit Lightroom. Then go to the Applications folder and find the Lightroom icon. Right-click (or control-click) on it, and from the resulting contextual menu, select "Show package contents".

Now, you´ll get a new Finder window with the "innards" of Lightroom exposed. Don´t mess around too much, but open the folder "Resources", and therein find another folder with the short designation for your language (in your case es.lproj; for myself sv.lproj).

This folder contains a text file with all the strings in the user interface, purportedly translated into your language. In theory, you might edit it, but I advise against it...

Instead, just delete the entire folder for your language (not just the text file within it). You´ll need to enter an admin password to do so.

Now, start Lightroom again. The beautiful result is that now, since it cannot find your language, it reverts to English. Simple but effective....

I've been a Lightroom user since the first Beta. I like Adobe, Steve Jobs' problem with Flash notwithstanding. But I have just had the most miserable experience. I upgraded, and paid my $99. However, they failed to give me a serial number so I can't actually install it (or, it's installed, but I can't activate on my Mac.) I called customer service, as an email instructed me to. Now I have to wait 24 hours for them to email me my serial number. Very, very frustrating.

Guest WPalank
But I have just had the most miserable experience. I upgraded, and paid my $99. However, they failed to give me a serial number so I can't actually install it (or, it's installed, but I can't activate on my Mac.) I called customer service, as an email instructed me to. Now I have to wait 24 hours for them to email me my serial number. Very, very frustrating.

John,

I haven't upgraded to LR3 yet (still waiting to hear from Leica) but I recently upgraded to CS5 through the Adobe site. For some strange reason Adobe sends out two emails. One is your order number and receipt and the other is the serial number. So you might check your SPAM folder if you haven't already.

I've been a Lightroom user since the first Beta. I like Adobe, Steve Jobs' problem with Flash notwithstanding. But I have just had the most miserable experience. I upgraded, and paid my $99. However, they failed to give me a serial number so I can't actually install it (or, it's installed, but I can't activate on my Mac.) I called customer service, as an email instructed me to. Now I have to wait 24 hours for them to email me my serial number. Very, very frustrating.

I just had the same exact experience and I DID get both emails without a serial number, only "contact customer service" who gave me the same 24 hour answer. Since I'm using the beta which is still active, I've got a few days for them to sort themselves out. I'm beginning to Steve Jobs' point!

Kent

I just had the same exact experience and I DID get both emails without a serial number, only "contact customer service" who gave me the same 24 hour answer. Since I'm using the beta which is still active, I've got a few days for them to sort themselves out. I'm beginning to Steve Jobs' point!

Kent

Strange. I bought the Upgrade as well but it was a perfectly smooth process -- I received the email with the Serial Number, but also had it on the browser right after the purchase (which is actually what I used for the installation).

I'm very pleased with LR3.

Well, I´m in Sweden, and I´ve got many a laugh from the "Swedish" used in Lightroom....

However, there is a rather simple way to get rid of an offending language version and get English as the language used, without changing the system language.

First, quit Lightroom. Then go to the Applications folder and find the Lightroom icon. Right-click (or control-click) on it, and from the resulting contextual menu, select "Show package contents".

Now, you´ll get a new Finder window with the "innards" of Lightroom exposed. Don´t mess around too much, but open the folder "Resources", and therein find another folder with the short designation for your language (in your case es.lproj; for myself sv.lproj).

This folder contains a text file with all the strings in the user interface, purportedly translated into your language. In theory, you might edit it, but I advise against it...

Instead, just delete the entire folder for your language (not just the text file within it). You´ll need to enter an admin password to do so.

Now, start Lightroom again. The beautiful result is that now, since it cannot find your language, it reverts to English. Simple but effective....

Per - have sent a "private" message to you in the ibox of this Forum - have you seen this?

Regards

/Anders

Strange. I bought the Upgrade as well but it was a perfectly smooth process -- I received the email with the Serial Number, but also had it on the browser right after the purchase (which is actually what I used for the installation).

I'm very pleased with LR3.

+1 as they seem to use as shorthand on this Forum!. Took about 10min for the email to arrive with the upgrade code number; as posted earlier the old one was recognised by the software as well (did not have to enter original coding with M9 for v2.)

Viramati/Sakthorp: sorry microview but what do you mean by 'new code sent by adobe'?

When you pay on line they email a code to activate LR3.

+1 as they seem to use as shorthand on this Forum!. Took about 10min for the email to arrive with the upgrade code number; as posted earlier the old one was recognised by the software as well (did not have to enter original coding with M9 for v2.)...

+1: exactly my experience