The Lightroom 3 thread [including "Does my free SN work with LR3?"] [Merged]

I've been using LR3 Beta for months and it is most definitely worth the $99 upgrade cost. Noise reduction, lens correction, improved vignette, slideshow improvements, printing improvements, actually too many improvements to list.

I'm never the first on the block to upgrade just because a new version is introduced. In fact, I skipped CS4 entirely and just recently picked up CS5. I would suggest you actually review the new and improved features and decide if they are useful to you.

What are the (REAL BENEFITS) of upgrading Lightroom 3? I haven't seen any discussion about this. Does it improve upon reading and generating a better RAW file than LR 2.7? No I think not, does it offer better speed in opening raw files?, maybe a little bit faster? But is it really going to make a substantial difference in someones work flow? not really, because I would think? that a pro would be using its big brother? wouldn't you? So who cares?, I certainly don't. What about the current adjustment features? have those change dramatically? I don't think so? maybe a little bit faster in speed? My point is this I personally am only interested in a better algorithm that is written specifically for opening up X1 files that do not over process as discussed in another thread, concerning blown highlights. I hope I said that rite?

chris m

Guest Chris M

So thank you to all that posted< but is or shall I say are all these improvements really improvements for specifically the Leica X1? or are these improvements across the board for all raw file camera's listed in LR3? I know that I am biased to Capture One 5, however the X1 is not listed (yet), hopefully in there next update too 5.0.3, I'm just not feeling LR3 at all, I've just finished playing with the free trial version and I'm unimpressed at this point. and BTW I am not a big fan of Adobe anything anyways.:D But will have to do exaustive research and testing with my files too see if I can achieve the final out come I'm looking for without having to spend alot of time trying to get their?:eek:

ps.... I will continue to sample the complete trial for the next several weeks;)

Pss........Capture One 5.1.3 just came out, so I'll check it out and get back too you all on that soon.

chris m.

Edited by Chris M
Cap One 5.1.3 just releasd!!!

Chris M seriously old chap let your brake off try a positive gear and move forward.

Heres a thought, download the FREE trial of Lightroom 3 and you tell us in a month were we have all gone wrong. In a word its better, but only you should be the judge of that for yourself. Try it. No risk no cost.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lightroom was not specifically written for the X1

This is a major update to Lightroom that caters for most RAW users.

Andy, DNG is a standard Adobe raw format, used by Leica digital cameras and others, so should benefit from all LR3 offers in raw conversion performance improvements. I presume this matches your understanding. That just leaves the individual optical corrections in LR3 which are lens specific. I have not yet upgraded so await news of any Leica-specific 'goodies' in this area. Does anyone yet have any information on this aspect?

I also contacted leica, here is the reply....

Dear Mr. David.

Thank you for your interest in the Leica system.

Recently Adobe has introduced the new Lightroom version LR3. We are still in the process of communicating with Adobe regarding the deployment and availability of LR3 for Leica. We kindly ask you for patience as we are certain to be in the position to offer an adequate solution as soon as possible.

Please note that the licence numbers issued for Lei ca S2, M9 and X1 are currently valid for Adobe Lightroom 2 only! These licence numbers cannot be used to download any Lightroom 3 versions from the Adobe website!

We kindly ask for your understanding.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards

I've read a lot about LR in the last couple days, including all posts to this thread Here is my understanding of conversion (sorry if it was covered earlier here, but I forget where I read stuff).

LR 2 (and probably LR1) used what Adobe is now calling the 2003 Processing Engine. LR3 uses what Adobe is now calling the 2010 Processing Engine.

When you bring new pictures into LR3, they will automatically be processed with the 2010 Engine. Old photos (ones in your catalogues before LR3 was installed and used) will continue to be processed using the LR2 engine. You do have the ability to convert those photos to 2010 processing.

For the gentleman that raised all sorts of negative questions--little improvement to software--Adobe is making one fact clear: The basic LR3 interface may look similar to LR2, but the processing engine has been improved significantly. I watched an excellent video on Adobe's web site showing comparisons. LR3 addresses the gentleman's specific and pointed concern--"no new algorithm for processing photos." Actually, just the opposite is true. There is a very new algorithm under the hood.

They have about ten videos up and I will be working my way through them.

Official word, from the Leica blog/Facebook page:

The users who regsiter a S2, X1 or M9 will now get LightRoom 2 from our owners area. For those who want LightRoom 3, it is worth waiting a bit before they start the process to obtain LightRoom in our owners area. That is all we can say for now...

I have downloaded and installed LR3 and its terrific.

One question however...

Can someone tell me the proper way to uninstall LR2 on a Mac?

I'm not sure if just dragging it to the trash is the right way to go!

Get yourself AppZapper works wonders. It shows you everything related to the app that it will remove.

Does anyone know if LR 3 requires more RAM than LR2.xx? With ever more functions software gets heavier all the time. I am thinking about the upgrade but I am limited to 2GB RAM :(

Wolfgang, I don't know if LR3 actually requires more RAM, but my experience with the beta on a 4GB Windows XP system is that it runs significantly slower than 2.7. This applies mainly to generating previews. The SilverEfex plug-in is also particularly slow. Sounds like we're both due for hardware upgrades.

Get yourself AppZapper works wonders. It shows you everything related to the app that it will remove.

PHEW....

This seems to be difficult....

Look here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1352690-post24.html

and here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/1352939-post46.html

Doesn´t anyone read the entire thread? :rolleyes:

Sorry Per but that is not my experience. Everything was exactly the same after I installed LR3 and deleted LR2. The .plist files are named for the version after updating. The caches are transient anyway and cleared every night when Cocktail runs.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest Chris M
David

I know that, but Chris above seems to think that LR3 was (or should have been) written specifically for X1 users. Which it plainly was not.

Andy, what I said or what I am trying to say is: Capture One 5 has a (list of cameras) that are specifically listed for and (a fine tuned) with algorithms of which are put in place for unraveling the raw data, as I mentioned in my post, (I am not big on Adobe Anything) period, I don't like big box company's and will avoid them at (almost) all costs. I am patiently HOPING Cap One will include the X1 in a latter update? In the mean time I have no other choice but too play around with LR3, I have not used this software ever so I will be on a learning binge once again, and that also goes for Elements 8 that came with the VLUX 20 I got for the wife.

chris m.

Am getting impatient here and really want to upgrade to LR3. what I wanted to know is if I download the trial version can I transfer all my LR2 catalogues to it and then wait for leica to hopefully arrange for us to be able to activate it with a new TAN code (have not used it yet as I already had LR2)

Am getting impatient here and really want to upgrade to LR3. what I wanted to know is if I download the trial version can I transfer all my LR2 catalogues to it and then wait for leica to hopefully arrange for us to be able to activate it with a new TAN code (have not used it yet as I already had LR2)

LR3 will convert any LR2 catalogue you open with it to a LR3 catalogue. I does so by creating a copy of it in the new format. The original catalogues will remain untouched. If Leica will provide the unregistered users with a TAN to activate the new LR3 isn't clear yet. We'll still have to wait a little bit.

The trial version is effectively the full version which ony shows the nag screen on startup, apart from that there is no difference.