Does IBIS work using Voightlander or Zeiss M Mount lenses

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone confirm to me if IBIS on SL3 works using Voightlander or Zeiss M Mount lenses using the genuine Leica adapter. Is there any communication to the camera either in terms of exif data.

thanks 8n advance folks 

Posted (edited)

I have the SL3, genuine Leica adapter, and a Voigtlander 35mm APO Lanthar and a Voigtlander 90mm APO.

There is no communication for uncoded lenses.  There is limited communication for coded lenses.

When I mount the Voigtlanders I am presented with a menu to select the focal length of the lens.  I read in the manual that selection does affect IBIS.  I have also verified that it comes through in the exif data.

As an FYI, when I mount a Leica coded lens, I am presented with a confirmation of the specific lens.

Edited by LanceR
  • Like 1

I really enjoy the 35mm Lanthar.  I have been less smitten with the 90mm.  I honestly struggled with the 90mm on the M11.  I should work with it more on the SL3.

I am a single camera / single lens kind of person when I travel.  The 35mm Lanthar with my M11 constituted my goto travel kit for the last year or so.

I have taken thousands of photos with it across multiple continents.  It has been rock solid.  Image quality is outstanding.  Candidly, I zoom by crop because of the resolving power of that lens with a 60mp sensor.

Now it is clinically sharp with minimal distortion, but that is what I want from my travel kit.  If I am taking of photos of people, I reach for the 50mm M Summilux.

Personally, I enjoy using M lenses on the SL cameras.

• Like 1

Just in addition to the top.

when choosing a lens it will activate IBIS with any adapter, M-R-PL... does not have to be from Leica. Important for Cinema lenses.

the SL2 didn't have a correct IBIS for anamorphic lenses, I don't know if the SL3 can get it to work.

The only benefit of using the M-L adapter from Leica is that the 6Bit coding from the lens tells the camera the correct lens and adds in-camera lens correction. It only applies to Leica lenses with 6bit. Vintage lenses or other brands only give you IBIS and no corrections.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Photoworks said:

The only benefit of using the M-L adapter from Leica is that the 6Bit coding from the lens tells the camera the correct lens and adds in-camera lens correction. It only applies to Leica lenses with 6bit. Vintage lenses or other brands only give you IBIS and no corrections.

And only with the adapter the EXIF info is saved properly. With third party adapters you can chose a lens profile manually, but the EXIF info will stay empty. I think the lens profile is used properly in camera. I bought the M-L adapter just for the EXIF info when I choose a lens profile for my mostly uncoded M lenses.

Mind you that when you stack a R-M adapter it needs to be coded, otherwise the SL will only present M-Lens profiles to choose from. It sees an uncoded R-M adapter as just an other unknown M lens.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Photoworks said:

the SL2 didn't have a correct IBIS for anamorphic lenses, I don't know if the SL3 can get it to work.

Anamorphic lenses have different effective focal lengths in the vertical and horizontal directions, so I'm not sure that's even possible. In addition, "non-perfect" anamorphics vary across the field. I'm not sure that anyone has ever made a "perfect" anamorphic. I'm not even sure that anyone would want one, since it would look like a regular lens.

23 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Anamorphic lenses have different effective focal lengths in the vertical and horizontal directions, so I'm not sure that's even possible. In addition, "non-perfect" anamorphics vary across the field. I'm not sure that anyone has ever made a "perfect" anamorphic. I'm not even sure that anyone would want one, since it would look like a regular lens.

Panasonic supports it in S5II

13 minutes ago, frame-it said:

They just used the nominal focal length, which you can also do on any SL with IBIS. My concern is that anamorphic ratios aren't really constant throughout the frame, so you'll end-up with parts of the image that are under-corrected or over-corrected. This could lead to strange IBIS artifacts.

For instance a 50mm 1.5x anamorphic has a field of view similar to a 33.33 mm lens horizontally (50/1.5). In theory that's fine, your IBIS corrects for 50mm, and that correction is "stretched-out" when you view the image at a 1.5x ratio. However, "1.5x" is really just an average. It could be 1.4x in the centre, and 1.6x at the edge of the frame. There are some historical prism anamorphics that have a constant stretch, but you are unlikely to be using those on a hybrid camera.

I'm probably over-thinking it. Anamorphics are a conscious narrative choice. People want a slightly unreal look, so they may not mind if the edges are more jiggly than the centre.

35 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

My guess is that they just use the base focal length (see above). You can do the same with the SL2/S/SL3.

38 minutes ago, BernardC said:

I'm probably over-thinking it. Anamorphics are a conscious narrative choice. People want a slightly unreal look, so they may not mind if the edges are more jiggly than the centre.

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

My guess is that they just use the base focal length (see above). You can do the same with the SL2/S/SL3.

on the SL2 SL3, you would have to turn IBIS off otherwise you get a Jello mess

The Panasonic is optimized for IBIS and de-squizing at the same time.

8 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

on the SL2 SL3, you would have to turn IBIS off otherwise you get a Jello mess

It's strange that it works without any special modes in CineD's footage, but not on Leica. CineD used a Fuji body, but that shouldn't make a difference. Have you posted your footage, I'd like to see how it affected the footage, for instance if the movement is just horizontal, just vertical, or both.

12 hours ago, BernardC said:

It's strange that it works without any special modes in CineD's footage, but not on Leica. CineD used a Fuji body, but that shouldn't make a difference. Have you posted your footage, I'd like to see how it affected the footage, for instance if the movement is just horizontal, just vertical, or both.

there are samples on the sl2 video feed