Name this car....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 minutes ago, Rona!d said:

The 599 GTB is a volume model, the car shown is much rarer!

I'm relieved to hear it!.....

Is it a German Army mid-50's IFA-P2? I'm not really up on my Military Vehicles and it looks a bit like one but IIRC the bonnet isn't quite correct.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Ronald, 

Do you know how many were made? I have seen photos of at least two somewhat different looking ones, although they may be the same vehicle at different stages in its development. The history book I have in France devotes just a single line to it (them) in the appendix.

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

vor einer Stunde schrieb thomasstellwag:

is "your" car a Goliath Jagdwagen?

Great, you got it! This is the improved second version of the Goliath Jagdwagen (type 34) with 4-stroke engine.

Wilson thought of the Porsche Jagdwagen, hence the number somewhat less than 600 😉 

All were part of the test of the German Army (Munga, Goliath, Porsche) to decide which was best.

• Like 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Ronald, 

Do you know how many were made? I have seen photos of at least two somewhat different looking ones, although they may be the same vehicle at different stages in its development. The history book I have in France devotes just a single line to it (them) in the appendix.

Wilson

Among many small changes two basic types known:

a) < 1957 (no doors)

b) 1957 > (4 doors and different "steeper" front)

They also switched the engine from prototype to pre-series (1.6 ltr., 50hp).

While Porsche officially talks about 71 cars made, other sources say about 100 made (after the "flat side" Reutter prototype a lot of 49 cars for Army testing and Porsche decided to build another lot of about 50 cars for clients (farmers, forestry, hunters). Many of the cars ment to be for private customers also ended at the Army, so these might be double counted, hence some think of about 100 cars made while 66-71 cars is the more precise number made. Some early prototypes, about 20 pre-series cars for testing and the final lot which includes the "private" cars.

The first 597 was made by Reutter who couldn´t build the planned series of 10.000 cars needed (in case of Army order) and who would have been much too expensive. The later versions with the stiffening seams were made at Karmann if I recall correctly.

All I know is that the last 597 left service at the Bundeswehr around 1972. They remained there for test and comparison reasons with future vehicles. About 50 known cars have survived and are listed in the clubs registry.

When the Army asked for such a vehicle in the 1950s they hoped volume maker Volkswagen would build test cars as they had war-experience with type 82 and 166. VW was not interested and Porsche/Goliath were too expensive and/or not good enough. VW later sent the 181 THING but this was not 4WD and it´s main purpose was being a courier vehicle. The first serious VW (made by Audi) was the 4WD Iltis which replaced the DKW Munga and inspired Bensinger/Piech to build the famous Audi Quattros.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb thomasstellwag:

can I pass over to someone else? I have nothing rare to show here and for sure no more Leica pictures.

Thomas, just post a car, even a modern one from your neighbourhood. I´m sure we will have more trouble naming a Kia than a Goliath 😉

o.k. you made me getting a quick picture

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1