Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 36 Minuten schrieb a.j.z:

A b/w usually means that the colour would give too much information. So a bold guess: Bugatti?

No Bugatti. The car is red but that doesn’t help much. b/w because you can better focus on body shape/lines.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wlaidlaw

• Rona!d

• stuny

• a.j.z

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was going to wait a while, but it seems more than one have taken the time to pursue the story behind this fascinating and remarkable automobile & are aware of the identity of this thing so I think it's time to reveal all. It's the 1935 Hoffman 8X..............and as indicated, it's the only one ever made. The curious thing about this car is that even though it wasn't officially commissioned by one of the big manufacturers there seems to have been enough money available to develop a on

Not a 450, 150, 200 or 300 - rarer than those, with only two original factory cars made, although some have been cobbled together later. Given that you can't measure the engine size from my photo and John is going away I will disclose that it is a 250S. This was the first car to use the new (or at least much revised) four cylinder engine planned for the forthcoming T series birdcage models. The idea was to produce a car with the straight line performance of the 300S but with the lighter and torq

Thanks, Ronald. I found the 906 to be a delightful car, one you didn't so much drive, but rather would "think" around curves, so precise and light and predictable is the handling. It's pointless to try to debate whether it was wise to drive it on the street, since it was simply not made for 'grocery getting' and it's foolish to complain that it's  not suitable for that function, but take it on a brief, vigorous run on a beautiful Saturday morning and it'll change forever your outlook of what a s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Italian, Alfa Romeo?

Graham,

Even my 1925 RL-SS factory body car had front hinged doors. Our Zagato bodied 1935 8C2600 Corsa likewise. 

Wilson

It is not a one off, it was serial made by a known, established maker although not many may have survived. So this is generally an interesting classic car. And it´s fun to see your heads smoking 😉 

Is it by any chance British, Ronald?

For some reason Singer Nine comes into my head yet although they were produced with both 'suicide' and front-hinged doors I thought they usually didn't have running boards.

Another snap / crop might be useful (he said hopefully)........

:lol:

Philip.

Edited by pippy

John, you are on a very good trace but not quite there yet (year/exact model/type). This is not what MB officially called the later Sport Roadster which looked a bit different too (and had front hinged doors and a different front fender). I think that my car is sometimes wrongly called with the addition "Sport Roadster" (especially in the Internet and sometimes even in classic car publications) but wasn’t internally called so by MB. To be 100% sure I’d need a look into the MB company archive, maybe I´m wrong here. The 230 was build between 1938 and 1943. This is not a 230 but an early relative.

edit: Many sources call it "Sport-Roadster", from the body design it is one but the engine lacks power. The successor looks more elegant and has more power.

This car is quite rare today (assume more 500/540K have survived) and was underestimated for a long time (not only moneywise). The model series was very important for Mercedes although the successor series had a much larger production volume.