Recommended lenses by subject

barcoder

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I was thinking the other day that it would be nice to have a simple list of the best lenses to use for a particular situation or subject. I've been working on such a list based on my (limited) experience and from what I have gathered from books and other web sites.

What do you think about this list? Is this it factual enough to be put in the wiki?

• Small objects, up close
    • MACRO-ELMAR-M 90 mm f/4

[*]Sports

• APO-TELYT-M 135 mm f/3.4 ASPH

[*]Tall objects, up close

• SUMMILUX-M 24 mm f/1.4 ASPH
    • ELMARIT-M 24 mm f/2.8 ASPH
    • ELMAR-M 24 mm f/3.8 ASPH
    • SUMMICRON-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH
    • ELMARIT-M 28 mm f/2.8 ASPH
    • SUMMILUX-M 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH
    • SUMMICRON-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH
    • SUMMARIT-M 35 mm f/2.5

[*]Tall objects, from a distance

• APO-SUMMICRON-M 75 mm f/2 ASPH
    • SUMMARIT-M 75 mm f/2.5
    • APO-SUMMICRON-M 90 mm f/2 ASPH
    • SUMMARIT-M 90 mm f/2.5

[*]Interior objects, up close

• TRI-ELMAR-M 16-18-21 mm f/4 ASPH
    • SUPER-ELMAR-M 18 mm f/3.8 ASPH
    • SUMMILUX-M 21 mm f/1.4 ASPH
    • ELMARIT-M 21 mm f/2.8 ASPH

[*]Interior objects, flash not allowed

• NOCTILUX-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH
    • SUMMILUX-M 50 mm f/1.4 ASPH

[*]Landscapes

• SUMMARIT-M 35 mm f/2.5

[*]Cityscapes

• SUMMARIT-M 35 mm f/2.5

[*]Street scenes

• SUMMARIT-M 35 mm f/2.5

[*]Portraits

• APO-SUMMICRON-M 90 mm f/2 ASPH
    • SUMMARIT-M 90 mm f/2.5
    • APO-TELYT-M 135 mm f/3.4 ASPH

[*]Groups

[*]Groups, up close

Not really - landscape can be done with any focal length, in fact I like to use a 90 quite often there. And sometimes sports or wildlife is better done with a WA or 50 - I think there are no hard and fast rules.

I wondered why HCB has such a bad reputation using primarily a 50mm for street work.

No rules.

Jeff

PS I use same lenses on my M8.2, with crop, as I did for years with my film Ms. Go figure. Amazing what feet can do.

Edited by Jeff S

I wondered why HCB has such a bad reputation using primarily a 50mm for street work.

No rules.

Jeff

;)

For street work, 35mm and 60mm in my case. So that leads me too say ... that it is difficult to do such categories. A portrait can be done with any lens, depends on your style, so are landscapes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Focal length is not really the most important factor for a certain subject. Of course the WATE is no recommendation for portrait, but you can use it for landscapes as well as the Apo-Telyt.

In the German forum there was the question about the 28mm Elmarit vs the Summicron. One answer was: if you mainly use it for landscape, take the Elmarit, for you don't need the big aperture; if you use it for scenes with low light, take the Summicron.

I think this approach is more helpful.

Lee, I can see that you have put a lot of thought into this, but really, it is of little practical use. Much of what you propose reminds me of the approach of books like "The Leica Way" back in the 1940's - it's far too restrictive and proscriptive for the photographers in this century.

Regards,

Bill

Most of my best portraits are with a 35mm. Some are with a 28mm. None are with a 75mm, 90mm or longer...

While I appreciate the effort you put into the list, I would advise you pick one or two favorite lenses then go use them for different things, maybe things you think they wouldn't be good for. You may learn quite a bit and make some nice photographs and you'll certainly have some fun...

I particularly disagree with the last ones for groups. If you can find the distance it is far better to use the longest lens you can get in. The geometrical distortion of heads towards the edges with wideangles is seen as very displeasing by the viewer.

Some people are uncomfortable without order and structure in their lives. It's fine for them to want to seek and find that order for themselves, but I would not want someone else's idea of what pen I should use for writing personal letters to be imposed upon me.

Regards,

Bill

p.s. Where's the Thambar in that list? ;)

What do you think about this list? Is this it factual enough to be put in the wiki?

Not unless you want the entire Leica community to look like idiots.

The best thing you could do is re-word it for Canon and Nikon lenses and put that on Wiki, it would be a good laugh.

Even in the 'classical' idea of landscape as being what you see when stood on top of a hill a 90mm lens is a better bet for a good photo that a 21mm lens 9 times out of 10. And if one myth is exploded the rest tumble because you should choose a lens based on what you want to see, not on what is simply presented in front of you when you stand on top of that hill, or in front of a person to make a portrait.

In practical terms study the photographs of Cartier Bresson and Ansel Adams (using large format) as two people who used the lens to edit what they had in front of them, and their images are positive statements of their view of the world, not simply passive comments based on getting as much into the frame as possible. Both mainly used longer lenses (or equivalently longer) than you have in each category, 'street' and 'landscape'. So you should choose a lens based on the feeling you want to create. And its true that trends may say a wide lens exaggerates the feeling of alienation of the individual in 'street' photography, but that is just a trend, if people were generally feeling happier I'm sure the 'street' trend would be close ups of happy smiling faces using a 75mm lens. And it goes contrawise if you want to show the disharmony of tract houses being built in the Mid-West, where Robert Adams (no relation to Ansel) did use a wide lens (med format) specifically to show the mountain ranges in context with trenches, planks of wood, and tarmac.

So all good photographers use lenses, lenses don't use them, and especially not according to lists.

Steve

Edited by 250swb

In my defense, I find the reactions to this list curious. It is as if the construction of it was an aberration. I understand that a lens can be simply used in any situation and many people have a preferred lens they like to use in almost all situations. I prefer to use 35mm almost always. But as I have said before, the list is meant to be a guide to those who are unfamiliar with the various lenses and their possible best uses.

Perhaps it is also appropriate to define what a guide really is. As I said before it is not meant to be the law, nor is it meant to be "the one true way". It was mentioned that HCB is stated to use a 50mm for most of his work, I would argue that photographers should find for themselves what lens works best for them.

The question for me often is, where to start? It's funny, perhaps shocking, that I got the idea for this list from Leica's web site. Yes, Leica has dared to do what you and others have said is a waste of time or a thing that only those who come from Canon and Nikon would think of doing. They have created lists of lenses by category which are the following:

From Leica Camera AG - Photography - Lenses

Available Light

Photojournalism

Travel

Portrait

Landscape

Wildlife Photography

Macro & still life

Architecture

Sports

I doubt highly that Leica created this list out of a desire for structure but as an attempt to guide customers to what lenses might be best based upon their needs or interests. This is what I have attempted as well. I thought Leica's list was limited and gauging by the response I have gotten here I would say their limitation is smartly so.

This appears in all honesty to look like a very sensitive subject for many here. Gauging the size of ones lens and its most effective use seems most offensive to some. How funny.

But, I have come here looking for an opinion and I have gotten it. Thank you all for your kind responses.