M9 production closing for 2 weeks

sblutter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From memory it was less than £2500 and had a lens rebate if you paid in full before the end of the 2006. I could be wrong on that and would be happy to be proved incorrect and promise not to resort to sarcasm if I am.

HI Steve

I'm pretty certain that it was £2990 (i.e. less than £3000)

I don't know about the M8.2

Regardless of pricing history on a specific model, Leica tends IMHO to increase prices about once a year.

M8 prices were confused by initial recall, perpetual upgrade program, M8.2.

Same thing could happen with M9, of course. ;)

... Bloody hell - those were the days...:o

And we'll probably be saying the same about today in five to ten years. :)

Edited by ho_co

From memory it was less than £2500 and had a lens rebate if you paid in full before the end of the 2006. I could be wrong on that and would be happy to be proved incorrect and promise not to resort to sarcasm if I am.

Steve's right. The lens rebate was offered to everyone who paid by YE 2006, even if they had not received their M8 by that date. I got my 75/2.0 for an incredible price that way, along with a letter signed in blue ink by Mr. Lee. I consulted my email files to check the price history of M8s:

late Oct 2006 ordered M8. My dealer received 21 units on the first day of shipment, circulated a list of 50 more in the queue (I was # 37 of those) Late Nov 2006, I got mine, US product, for $4795.

March 2008 Second M8, black, international product, purchased from same dealer for $4475.

Oct 2008, M8.2 purchased for $5997.

scott

edit: this suggests that M8 prices declined steadily, and the M8.2 was the occasion for a big price jump.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I see no reason why all Leica internal communications, e mails, transcripts of phone calls etc should not be posted on a twitter feed, as well as live webcams from every office, department and meeting room. That way we wouldn't have such 'alarms' as this. I had to put my whole life on hold whilst this played out and for what I ask you!! I blame Leica.

I see no reason why all Leica internal communications, e mails, transcripts of phone calls etc should not be posted on a twitter feed, as well as live webcams from every office, department and meeting room. That way we wouldn't have such 'alarms' as this. I had to put my whole life on hold whilst this played out and for what I ask you!! I blame Leica.

Careful. I think there are some people around here who will take your suggestions seriously! ;)

Doug

Guest BigSplash
So, let me get this straight - this was all a storm in a teacup... again.

Regards,

Bill

Actually I think it is a real issue when a premier brand simply shuts down its supply chain for two weeks and does not tell its dealers when to expect shipments. I am told by my dealer that he is receiving huge shipment this Friday, delayed due to the warehouse move...but he does not know what is in it!

He hopes that my lenshood ordered in Oct/Nov timeframe is part of the delivery for what is an exstock item.....He also hopes to get some batteries for M8/M9 and he obviously wants a bunch of M9's and lenses .....but does not know.

He says that the M9 delivery shortages will continue to August / September according to what he has been told.

Bill if that is a storm in a teacup fine please provide the milk & sugar I prefer to smell the coffee.

Guest BigSplash

I think the point is made and confrims what I said earlier....

The M8 in 2006 came in at a relatively high price but soon after early adopters received vouchers etc due to the early problems this camera suffered. There was a slight increase followed by various marketing campaigns after year one with rebates given.

At end of year two the M8.2 was introduced at a significant price uplift.

In the final third year of production the M8 became available at significant discounts perhaps spurred by grey imports from Hong Kong which I know UK Leica are rightly trying to stop. However it did drive UK prices down at the dealers.

My point is that once the delinquent backlog has been shifted by say September ...then will we most likely see the same thing?

I also understand that Leica has hired extra technicians to address the success they have with the M9. Is it reasonable to assume that once the backlog has been shifted they need to keep the volume at its current level or even grow this volume and reap the benefit of the investment in people and facilities that they ahve made? ......I ask how will they do that? M9 at a lower price compared to a successor camera which is the M8 , followed by the M8.2 scenario.

On my part this is pure speculation but it will be interesting to see developments during the year. At some point I shall buy the M9 or M9.2 or M10 and hence the interest from my side.

Actually I think it is a real issue when a premier brand simply shuts down its supply chain for two weeks and does not tell its dealers when to expect shipments. I am told by my dealer that he is receiving huge shipment this Friday, delayed due to the warehouse move...but he does not know what is in it!

He hopes that my lenshood ordered in Oct/Nov timeframe is part of the delivery for what is an exstock item.....He also hopes to get some batteries for M8/M9 and he obviously wants a bunch of M9's and lenses .....but does not know.

He says that the M9 delivery shortages will continue to August / September according to what he has been told.

Bill if that is a storm in a teacup fine please provide the milk & sugar I prefer to smell the coffee.

Insiduous Leica- bashing. You don't know anything about the ins and outs of it yet you post sweeping statements with a negative twist....

A summary for new readers:

I think... I am told... does not know... hopes... does not know... he says... according to... My point... ...the same thing? I also understand... Is it reasonable to assume... they need... I ask...

Boardroom sub-forum, please.

Regards,

Bill

I'm voting for a "Boardroom" sub-forum... Who's with me?

Regards,

Bill

As long as I don't have to take the minutes! (Do we have to vote in a committee to approve members of the board, or will it be subject to a hostile takeover?) :rolleyes:

Do we have to vote in a committee to approve members of the board, or will it be subject to a hostile takeover?

The one thing you can be certain of is that if it were ever set up there'd be a deluge of threads saying what was wrong with it, and how it could be improved.

No doubt there's be articles about it over at Luminous Landscape as well.

Guest BigSplash
Insiduous Leica- bashing. You don't know anything about the ins and outs of it yet you post sweeping statements with a negative twist....

Jappv...sorry all I am doing is:

1 Repeating what my dealer has told me, (ie He has NO visibility of his shipments, M9 delieveries will be on backorder through to August / September, No Batteries, limited supply of lenses)

2 Identifying how long it has taken so far to get a lenshood (since October), actually with your guidance.....and I still do not know if it is arriving at the dealer in Uk on Friday (tomorrow)

3 Relaying the forum that there appears to be a battery shortage issue which is confirmed by WLaidlaw and likewise various postings from USA....I think it has even been suggested that M9 deliveries delay maybe due to the lack of batteries.

OK ....Jaapv you are correct the above does sound negative. I agree and apologise as I know this forum hates anything negative about Leica.

Could you please help me put a positive twist on it as I cannot?