To Focus Close or Not to Focus Close, That is the Question

tappan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No interest in a M iteration of close focusing lens. I've tried lots of solutions over the years. These days I just use my Sony A7RII with a whole variety of close focus and/or macro lenses when I want close focus capabilities. IMHO unless you have Visoflex or Live View capabilities on a RF body, it is a waste of $ and time. Best to use a DSLR/SLR/Mirrorless body for close up shots. Or even an Iphone.

• Like 1

Close focus?  I've never missed it.  I have a 90 macro elmarit M and adjustable close focus adapter that I bought for a special project...haven't touched close much less macro since.  I do like the 90 though.

I think my Voigtlander 21 f/4 LTM focuses to .5M but with that lens its not a big deal; the DOF conceals a wealth of sins anyway.

For close (restaurants etc) I use the dreaded iPhone.  Highly capable within it's scope and always available 😎

• Like 2

On 2/17/2024 at 12:14 AM, tappan said:

It's funny, I almost feel like George Bailey turning down the amazing possibilities of Mr. Potter's offer in the movie It's a Wonderful Life. I mean, the allure of close focus!......but then the reality of why most of us got into rangefinders to begin with. The simplicity, the bright viewfinder not blocked out when shutter is pressed.
Mark

But then many of us already also got into the electronic viewfinder of RF camera's and using that when needed: M240, M0, M11 . . .

• Like 1

I do need c/focus regularly for 'work' and in those situations use a DSLR; often with a 12mm extension tube attached to the lens. In this manner and with the 50mm prime fitted I can get down to 1:2 Mag. which is very useful. More frequently, however, for c/up work the 12mm tube will be used in conjunction with an 85mm prime.

For my own stuff with an M I don't have any need for close-focus so no; the c/focus capability seen on all these new lenses holds no appeal.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, pippy said:

I do need c/focus regularly for 'work' and in those situations use a DSLR; often with a 12mm extension tube attached to the lens. In this manner and with the 50mm prime fitted I can get down to 1:2 Mag. which is very useful. More frequently, however, for c/up work the 12mm tube will be used in conjunction with an 85mm prime.

For my own stuff with an M I don't have any need for close-focus so no; the c/focus capability seen on all these new lenses holds no appeal.

Philip.

Thanks Philip. May I ask what brand the 12mm extension is and does it work with a 35mm and a 28mm lens?
Mark

5 hours ago, tappan said:

Thanks Philip. May I ask what brand the 12mm extension is and does it work with a 35mm and a 28mm lens?
Mark

Hi Mark.

All my DSLR kit is Canon and the tube is one of theirs.

Whilst it might be possible to use such a tube with a 28 / 35 lens the reality (for me) is that the camera/lens unit would need to be so near to the subject matter that lighting with studio flash would become impossible to control. There is a very good reason that, for full-frame coverage, Macro Lenses tend to be no shorter than 55mm and are often double that focal length.

Philip.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From a business perspective, I think Leica would sell more lenses if it introduced an evf M in the future, I’m sure many would be a lot keener to look into closer focusing lenses in this instance. The Visoflex experience is not for everybody.

Edit: or even better, a closer focusing rangefinder!

Edited by costa43