M9 production closing for 2 weeks

sblutter

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually DID stop the production for 10 days.

but that was about two weeks ago.

the reason was "stock taking" or something like that. cannot remember.

my dealer told me this right after speaking to leica (I stood next to him).

Well, then, that's the same note we already had about official delays. Same as Andy mentioned above. Nothing new. Could easily be overlooked, not the fault of the original poster. Already posted at http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/100872-m9-delivery-register-47.html#post1195369 and at least one other thread which may have since been deleted at the request of its initiator, since he had quoted the actual Leica memo involved.

Thanks, el. That means this is old news misunderstood. Correction much appreciated.

Jaap, keep in touch with your aunt. Sigh.

Edited by ho_co

Seems pretty clear- no matter what a dealer is told, they don't know......

Leica often appears to work against understood business practices...appears...

Leica is not going to let us know what is going on.....

Kind of like Nikon, Canon, Apple........

But it is entertaining to read the conjecturing :D

Substituting for the word prostrate is kind of fun....

Most recent change in German labor law:

We are allowed to work every other day only, and have to spend 73,4% of the net payment rise coming along with the new regulation in the days between to boost economy.
VAT reduction on domestic manufactured cameras is still in discussion.

Will keep you updated,
Klaus

Possibly moving to the new Leitz Park?

Andy, at the Solms facility last forum meeting visit, Ralph told me that the Leitz Park move was delayed until 2012, I think. That was prior to M9 announcement and sales though.

Edited by hoppyman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that a lot of German manufacturing companies close for two weeks around the Christmas/New Year period. With the number of public holidays at this time, and with a large number of employees wishing to take leave, it often makes more economic sense to have a scheduled closure than to try and maintain limited production with insufficient staff. Even more so if some of your suppliers may also be closed.

That is right, and taking inventory on January 2nd and 3rd is quite common in that part of the world. Many companies are closed for that reason for a few days. If you move further eastward, the Czech Republc etc., it is virtually impossible to do any shopping in that period.

Actually, in the US many services businesses close between New Years and the Holidays, as well as production facilities that retools during this period or do regular maintenance of their facilities.

As other have stated, makes a lot of sense.

My aunt's second cousin, who has a neighbour who knows somebody who lives near Frankfurt, which is not too far from Solms, tells me that Leica has been so stunned by Michael Reichmann's open letter that the entire workforce has been prostrated for the coming two weeks...:rolleyes:

Was prostrated or having some prostate problems?

Guest BigSplash
Frank, check the Leica twitter feed, they're just announcing now that Stefan Daniel is taking a toilet break.

Update.........one of their newly trained M9 technicians whom you announced, has just gone sick. What are we to do about that then! This is amazing that Leica have not carried out full health screening at such a vitally important time...........

James can you in anyway justify a posting like this? What are you trying to do bring the Leica Forum down to the level of the lavatory?

I really hope that the moderators try to return your inputs to the appropriate level of this forum......enough said.

Guest BigSplash
Arrant nonsense. You have really excelled yourself this time.

Bill I guess you are saying that a company (Leica) should NOT be positively explaining to their client base (and dealers) what is going on to cause a 2 week delivery slippage . They should allow uninformed speculation to persist in their marketplace.

I have a different view......How you describe that as "Arrant nonsense" is simply your opinion and you know my views about that.

Guest BigSplash
doronski - read Bill's signature. He always gives fair warning....;)

More seriously - what do you know about german labor law and workplace traditions? It is pretty heavily regulated - among other things I note there are 4 legal holidays in the two weeks following Christmas, and if a lot of other staff time is going into legally required inventory and end-of-year books closing, a break from production may be perfectly normal, regardless of demand.

Andy I agree with you about Bill's inputs .....!

I have had some hands on experience of managing sizeable operations in Germany and it is true that they have strong labour legislation in place, plus works councils to contend with. Individuals can resign their job for example only at certain times in the quarter if they wish to retain their benefits....it is a labour lawyers dream!

That said I cannot ever imagine running an operation in Germany where I could imagine a two week shut down of production for a product that has several months of backlog. Workers, Unions and the legal constraints will in my experience prevail what is necessary to achieve a benefit for the individual and the company.

I wonder if this really happened ( ie Mfg shut down) or whether it was a warehouse issue ( and if it is this ...2 weeks is in my view totally unacceptable!)

If it is true then I would like to believe that Leica Solms management are about to announce that this was planned and will now result in a much faster delivery of their delinquent backlog , including lenses and my lenshood / filter (2.5 months on order so far!)

Guest BigSplash
A little off-topic but considering the recent talk about improving forum etiquette and all, I'm surprised and dismayed that this thread has already degenerated into condescending comments and outright vitriol. :(

BRAVO....I agree!

I really wish people would focus the issues raised by OP and add value to that.

Bill I guess you are saying that a company (Leica) should NOT be positively explaining to their client base (and dealers) what is going on to cause a 2 week delivery slippage . They should allow uninformed speculation to persist in their marketplace.

The whole THREAD is based on some speculation... If Leica (or any other company for that matter) sent out Press Releases regarding every bit of internet chatter speculation, there'd be no trees left in Sweden.

I don't know why you haven't got your lens hood yet. Have you tried phoning Stefan Daniels and asking him? Ot have you phoned Customer Service? Or have you tried alternative sources?

Guest BigSplash
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that a lot of German manufacturing companies close for two weeks around the Christmas/New Year period. With the number of public holidays at this time, and with a large number of employees wishing to take leave, it often makes more economic sense to have a scheduled closure than to try and maintain limited production with insufficient staff. Even more so if some of your suppliers may also be closed.

Nicole as usual I can only agree with you. Companies DO close down for two weeks holiday, they sometimes DO reopen with a different warehouse or manuf. facility location and they DO use the shutdown period to clean up the manuf. line / qualify new production machinery etc.

In my view these things should not be surprises to confirmed delivery dates to dealers, and should be considered within the planning process. Frankly if delays happen at the dealer level and these are now blamed on a two week holiday during the christmas period, or a new warehouse I wonder how in control Leica Solms is on their daily production.

I hope that they explain what happened and how this is part of their strategic plan.

James can you in anyway justify a posting like this? What are you trying to do bring the Leica Forum down to the level of the lavatory?

I really hope that the moderators try to return your inputs to the appropriate level of this forum......enough said.

It was clearly a joke, designed to show how ridiculous constant clamouring for press releases from Leica over every bit of trivial Internet chatter is.