Newton Ellis in Liverpool are closing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just seen this on their webpage.

Another choice will no longer be available.

As we are closing down about mid 2024 this is general information on cameras and lenses which may help users.

• Like 2

• andybarton changed the title to Newton Ellis in Liverpool are closing

I 'discovered' Newton Ellis only a few years ago, but they have been my first port of call for repairs ever since. Knowing they are closing later this year, I've recently sent them what I expect will be my last repair there - a very late 90mm f/4 Elmar LTM lens, cosmetically beautiful but with very dirty elements.

Alan

Who does that leave in the UK, apart from Cameraworks-UK and Aperture? I think we can exclude Camera Obscura for sadly obvious reasons. I've seen a couple of poor reviews of Sprockets on this forum, but they are apparently used by some dealers. Is Malcolm Taylor still working? (there were reports of very long lead times). Peter Grisaffi has sadly passed away. Miles Whitehead is at least semi-retired and his site has gone. Ed Trzoska is known as a Zeiss expert but I think does Leica. Pierro Pozella appears to be a skilled and reputable technician (he appears on BBC1's The Repair Shop) and has a good review on 35mmc, but I haven't seen feedback from people here. Anyone else?

• Like 1

Always sad to lose somewhere good.

Luton Camera Repair Services - http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/ - are very good at the stuff that they do in my experience. I have had a fair bit of work from them on various generations of Olympus cameras and lenses: most recently they stripped, cleaned and rebuilt a 35RD rangefinder from the 1970s. I don't know whether they touch Leica kit, but for older purely mechanical lenses and bodies I can't see any reason they wouldn't.

John

• Like 3