the perfect travel kit

geesbert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

with 35 and 75 Asph Summicrons

The 75mm focal length is interesting and I've been considering it for quite a while.

Earlier this week my wife and I visited Münster and sitting at a restaurant I realised that my current setup - the 35 FLE, 50 Asph and 90 Elmarit-M - works very well.

The 35 allowed me to fill the frame with people/objects at close distances while focusing on things a few metres back. Or, of course, just to capture bigger vistas.

The 50 let me limit the FOV to, say, a couple discussing at a table at about 4m away, plus gave excellent night-time performance with single light sources such as table candle.

The 90 was great for closing up and filling the frame with one person or focusing on farther-away details.

and even 135/1.4.

You mean 3.4, no? Or do you have the prototype of the much-talked-about 135mm Summilux which is expected to be launched at photokina?

Edited by philipus

• 3 weeks later...

At the moment:

Leica M8

Voigtländer Ultron 2/28

Jupiter-3 1.5/50 (shimmed)

Leica Summitar 2/50

Leica Elmar 4/90

Sony NEX-7

Sony SEL 2.8/16 plus WW-converter

Sigma EX 2.8/30

(On that NEX I can also use the lenses above.)

That's about it. Only if I needed a tele, I'd bring a Leitz Hektor 4.5/135 or the Sony SEL 55-210.

• 2 weeks later...
At the moment:

Leica M8

Voigtländer Ultron 2/28

Leica Summitar 2/50

Leica Elmar 4/90

Sony NEX-7

Sigma EX 2.8/30

That's about it. Only if I needed a tele, I'd bring a Leitz Hektor 4.5/135 or the Sony SEL 55-210.

Add the Voigtläner Super-Wide Heliar 4.5/15 and a 20mm viewfinder...

M9 + 21SEM + 35/1.4 asph (preFLE) + 50/1.4 asph - camera over shoulder with one lens, other lenses in pockets (in cheap compact camera pouches by Deuter) + 3 spare batteries and 96Gb cards (no laptop, etc.). Perfect for travel. Need to add a 21 finder;).

35 and 90 was always a good travel kit for film. It shouldn't change with the M9.

Steve,

Could you go into why you like those two for a travel kit? I use an M7 and have the 35mm Summicron, and I've been contemplating a 90mm. I'm interested in what people think about that particular set up, and it seems you have experience with it!

Thanks!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back in the day, it was a M4 with a 35 Summicron and a 90 Tele Elmarit in a pocket. Now it is a M9 with a 35 Summicron and a 90 Elmarit M in a Domke F5B along with two spare batteries and a bunch of cards. (I am thinking about a Fogg Harp to hold the 90/batteries/cards on my belt.)

If I know I'll be in one place for a while, I'll add a 50 Summicron and a flash.

• 2 weeks later...
At the moment:

Leica M8

Voigtländer Ultron 2/28

Leica Summitar 2/50

Leica Elmar 4/90

Sony NEX-7

Sigma EX 2.8/30

New:

Leica M8

Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 4.5/15

Voigtländer Ultron 2/28

Leica Summitar 2/50

Leica Elmar 4/90

Voigtländer Color Heliar 2.5/75

Sony NEX-7

Sigma EX 2.8/19

Sigma EX 2.8/30

Plus Leitz Hektor 4.5/135 or the Sony SEL 55-210.

All this easily fits into my Kalahari K-12 bag.

during my three week trip to Iceland I enjoyed this set:

Konica Hexar RF

M-Hexanons 28/2.8, 50/2 and 90/2.8

Voigtländer 15

M-Rokkor 40/2 (for hiking, where everything else was left behind)

Wonderful. But for our next trip I will bring an SLR for sure. Missed the (practicable) option to use gradual NDs and polarizers. For SLRs I like to bring the OM:

OM-4Ti, 24/2.8, 40/2 and 135/3.5, maybe a spare body :)

a small and light bag is essential. A light kit is pointless if you stuff it into a hefty LowePro or Kata. The barebones bag was nice for walks, for example.

• 4 weeks later...
Unless you are extremely tight in space and weight' date=' a RF and Dslr should both accompany you on trip. I find both useful. However, if you only travel cities, RF is enough.[/quote']

I agree with your premise as long as you agree to accompany me on my trips to carry two camera systems :). Otherwise I'll keep the Dslr close to home & travel with the Leica!

I have just returned from two weeks in Bhutan, Nepal and Tibet. Every imaginable opportunity for photographs - fascinating people, monasteries, landscapes (inc. Mount Everest). I had my M9 with 50 Summilux, 28 Elmarit M, and 90 Elmarit M. They performed superbly. Never needed anything else. For the few times that the 90 wasn't enough, a little cropping in Lightroom worked wonders. I took a flash and tripod but never used them.

Just plodded through this with increasing incredulity.....

Do some of you employ native bearers on your holidays ????

Whatever I take it is always too much .... even with a body and 3 lenses I come back wondering why on earth I bothered with the 3rd.... and often 2nd.

More lenses = more sensor crud.... you can guarantee it.....

The one thing I regret not taking recently was a bottle of eclipse and some swabs in addition to a blower........ hours of happy de-spotting when I got home :o

• Like 3

In Venice a couple of months ago I had:

M-9P

21 mm Elmarit

28-35-50 mm TriElmar

35 mm Summilux

90 mm Elmarit

135 mm TeleElmar

The only lens that was never used was the 21 mm, but was so light that I didn’t grudge the additional weight. A spare charged battery and a spare memory card were always carried, but never needed. I don’t ‘chimp’, so a fully-charged battery normally lasts for a full day’s shooting.

A Contax TVS digital was available as a last-ditch backup, but never left the safe in my hotel room. Also back in the hotel were the chargers for both cameras, a good stock of 4Gb Samsung cards, a rocket blower, sensor loupe, and the Arctic Butterfly.

Best regards,

Doug

12mm/5.6

28mm/2.8

90mm/4

Mirror 500mm/8

Perfect travel kit? Well, it worked nicely for a trip to the solar eclipse last week (Australia).

The 500mm normally is a difficult lens to use, but on this occasion it was excellent (2 examples).

Jan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1