In Praise of the Elmarit-M 90

chrism

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It has been my personal Halloween present... (1st pic with it... :) and looks promising)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The compactness of the old "nano" Tele is unbeatable... but it shows its age...

• Like 1

Someone at the beginning of this thread mentioned that they felt the 90mm Elmarit wasn't such a great fit when used on the M8. The effective focal length of the lens on an M8 is 120mm, and speaking as someone who likes a good telephoto now and then, I have found the 90mm Elmarit a great fit on the M8. I've hauled it all over the US, South America, Easter Island and god knows where else. Give me the 90mm Elmarit, 28mm Elmarit, and the 15mm CV and my M8 and I am all set.

I bought a 90 Elmarit M a few months ago and it too has stayed on the self...I thought they where all made in Canada but this one says made in Germany?????:confused:

It also has a screw on 39mm hood too...maybe its a older version?? It says Tele-Elmarit-M but doesn't have the scalloped focusing ring like above (black).

Edited by mwalker649

The 90 Elmarit seems like a great little lens, and I may decide to pick one up as a travel lens/backup in the future. But my 90 'Cron ASPH is pretty sharp too...

Both with 90AA + M9

I'm a great fan of the Elmarit 90/2.8. I use it often on my M8 since I like to use long lenses.

It is a very versatile lens and usable in critic conditions as well. Very sharp, light and used maybe a good bargain.

This picture was taken at night, 640 ISO wide open.

3179634447_cbb7fc3343_b.jpg

Edited by epand56

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a 90 Elmarit M a few months ago and it too has stayed on the self...I thought they where all made in Canada but this one says made in Germany?????:confused:

It also has a screw on 39mm hood too...maybe its a older version?? It says Tele-Elmarit-M but doesn't have the scalloped focusing ring like above (black).

Your one is ANOTHER lens... I think is this :

(thanks to JC Braconi)

Made both in Canada and (later) in Germany : the 90s 2,8 have a rather complex history:

1 - Elmarit 90 (chrome and rare black - screw mount also, but rather rare)

2 - Tele Elmarit 90 "nano" (chrome and black - Canada only) see my pic in previous post

3 - Tele Elmarit 90 all black (see the above pic)

4 - Elmarit M 90 black and chrome, see my pic in previous post

And so ended the breed of 90 2,8... now Summarit 90 2,5 has taken its role...

• Like 1

my new, latest version 90 2.8 would not couple with the r-d1, so it's with Leica NJ for a couple of months...but I love everything else about it. Very pretty and sharp wide open...it is very easy to focus with the 1.35 magnifier and M8.

Yes its number three....any optical differences?

The 4 versions are all different in design one from the other... and specifically the two "Tele" : the "nano" is a 5 elements - 3 groups design, yours is a 4elements - 4 groups and is generally claimed to offer better contrast than the "nano" (which is the most compact, and imho A LOT gracious item)

The first and the last are not Tele design (and infact are both longer) once again different one from the other... obvious when consider that the first was a 1959 design, the last from 1990.

Here is my problem:

there are so many different Elmars out, that I don't know, which one is good and light:confused:

My favorite is the Macro Elmar, but it is hard to find.

I know of my friend Enrico (Epand56) on the forum who was there to sell his Macro Elmar 90. ;)

I am new in the Leica world and hope to get my M9 in about 3 weeks:D

I bought a 28/2.8 ASPH on ebay, I plan to buy the light Zeiss C-Biogon 21/4.5

and I am looking for a light 90mm.

Here is my problem:

there are so many different Elmars out, that I don't know, which one is good and light:confused:

My favorite is the Macro Elmar, but it is hard to find.

I fond a Tele Elmar (1982) on ebay at 262g incl. sunhood (?) and another newer one with 460g:confused::confused:

Any advice would be very appreciated

thanks and regards

dierk

Tele Elmar strictly speaking does not exist in 90mm - it's an excellent 135 which bears that name. For a light and compact 90, if you don't care of high max aperture, the best buy is probably the Elmar-C 90 originally made for Leica CL - if you look at my above post with the pic of the black Tele Elmarit 90 you can have a good idea of how it is - they are very similar in aspect, size and weight (around 250g). My beloved Tele Elmarit "nano" is very compact but not light (355 g) and undoubtly not as sharp as new generations: this cannot be said of the (older) Elmar 90 3 elements, which can be found (not so cheap) rather easily: is a lens of surprising quality, a bit long (not a tele...) but only 300g in weight. The present Macro, as you say, is probably the best (I haven't it), but at a significant cost expecially with its fine Macro adapter.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I debated long and hard before electing to buy the Elmarit-M. For the relatively low level of usage a 90mm lens gets, it just seemed to make sense to me. Even for available light indoors it is quite usable, especially on the M9 with recourse to higher ISO settings. For landscape detail work it is superb.

sblitz, it is worth doing a search on this comparison. Much has been written. I only have the 75 Summarit, but I doubt you would tell much difference in a strict parallel comparison. The Elmarit is generally thought to have more durable mechanical properties. But only time will tell.

I think it is very easy to underestimate shutter speed to get ultimate sharpness on either of the 90mm lenses. The old rule of thumb for a hand held shot was to use at least the inverse of the focal length i.e. 90mm lens = 1/90th of a second minimum shutter speed. I feel with the increased sharpness that we demand from digital cameras, often printing up to A2 or greater sizes, near double that figure is not out of line i.e. 1/180th of a second. I was initially a bit disappointed with my 90 Elmarit getting slightly soft shots, when printed from the M8 to A3+ size. I soon discovered it was neither a back focusing lens or my focussing abilities but camera shake. Obviously this applies even more to the 135 Tele-Elmar I occasionally use.

Wilson

Focus? I had to lean back an inch or so to hit focus when wide open while using my 90/2.8 M on my M8 but my M9 hits it dead on.

I love this lens. It is razor sharp. However, I probably only use it 10% of the time.

I find I need to breathe in, exhale, calm myself, then with a slow push on the shutter I can go as low as 1/30 in a pinch. But I'm a lot happier at 1/250 and up.

• Like 1