flash for M240 {merged}

cirke

I use the Metz 40 MZ-3i with the SCA3205-M5 adapter

It has twin reflectors , the main has 90% of the light and can be bounced, the second is a fill-in with 10%

If you are quick, there a really low priced one going on ebay

Edited by dugby

I remember how I started with a flash on my M9-P. First a thought the same, I wanted a flash that is not to big so I bought the SF-24. But... It was not really fun to use it...it was not enought powerful and not enought flexible for me, I decided then to trade it against the SF-58, but with the SF-58... I have never been 100% happy with the design. The camera is so beautiful and the flash just looks like a flash for a ugly Canon or Nikon DSLR.

Now I ended up with this:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/351217-my-new-flash-has-arrived-week.html

enough power, beautiful light, nice looking... but not so handy. :D

• Like 1

I remember how I started with a flash on my M9-P. First a thought the same, I wanted a flash that is not to big so I bought the SF-24. But... It was not really fun to use it...it was not enought powerful and not enought flexible for me, I decided then to trade it against the SF-58, but with the SF-58... I have never been 100% happy with the design. The camera is so beautiful and the flash just looks like a flash for a ugly Canon or Nikon DSLR.

Now I ended up with this:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/351217-my-new-flash-has-arrived-week.html

enough power, beautiful light, nice looking... but not so handy. :D

I have the SF-24 but I need something better

With the fairly short focal range of the M series I have always found non-TTL-AUTO flashes to give good exposure, and there are a ton of them out there for dirt cheap. In fact I use my SF24 in AUTO mode, not TTL. Likewise I have a Metz 54 MZ3 with the original 3502 M1 module. It reads the ISO from the M body, which is a bit of a convenience. But it is quite top-heavy. The advantage to the Metz and SF24 is you can set a slew of auto apertures on the flash, whereas the old el-cheapos usually are limited to two or three for each ISO.

I am amazed what people get up to with their sometimes impressive and very bulky flash setups and then say how big and unattractive the Sf58 is!!! One of the best things about the SF58 is that it gives you HSS flash sync so you can easily use it for fill flash at higher shutter speeds in daylight.

• Like 1

I like your little mirror doohickey. I rigged a similar DIY but it wasn't much good with ceilings over 8 foot because of the low power. What I ended up doing was attaching a slightly modified Sto-Fen Omni Bounce diffuser I got from KEH for $2. It was meant originally for a small Canon EOS flash. It gives it more of a bare bulb effect.

I recently purchased the SF 26 for my M 240. I've made extensive use of it. The only caveat is that it only works in TTL mode.

For doing photos of people no more than 8-12 feet away...it works very well. I do like the fact that it swivels so bounce flashing works very well.

I already have the SF 58 as well as the SF 24....I was never happy until now.

I recently purchased the SF 26 for my M 240. I've made extensive use of it. The only caveat is that it only works in TTL mode.

For doing photos of people no more than 8-12 feet away...it works very well. I do like the fact that it swivels so bounce flashing works very well.

I already have the SF 58 as well as the SF 24....I was never happy until now.

This is interesting as it is the first confirmation I have seen that the SF26 actually works with the Leica M. On the Leica website it is shown mounted on a Leica T. Leica seems very coy about giving much information about it.

There is a very similar flash on the Metz website which is of course much cheaper than the Leica branded version. It is available in versions for various makes of camera including Panasonic/Olympus/Leica but the specification sheet implies that it works only for the four thirds and micro four thirds models.

https://www.metz.de/en/lighting/flash-units/system-flash-units/mecablitz-26-af-1-digital/data-sheet.html