summilux 24mm

markowich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

the summilux 24mm is really an outstanding lens. sharp wide open, super micro-contrast, well built, smooth focus action, all the superlatives, but....i just do not get over the color fringe problem. purple fringing until f8, which is way out of the best f-stop range of the lens. your thoughts? i am thinking of changing over to the 24mm f2.8....

peter

the summilux 24mm is really an outstanding lens. sharp wide open, super micro-contrast, well built, smooth focus action, all the superlatives, but....i just do not get over the color fringe problem. purple fringing until f8, which is way out of the best f-stop range of the lens. your thoughts? i am thinking of changing over to the 24mm f2.8....

peter

Is this CA happening when paired with the M8 or M9?

And what do this have to do with the M9?

Funny but I haven't heard of a color fringe problem with this lens.

could you post some shots of this problem.

here is a 100% crop. developed in LR, no PP.

peter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

here is a 100% crop. developed in LR, no PP.

peter

If you want I can send you in a 24 elmarit ASPH for your 24lux... ok I could add some bucks if you want, or simply offer you a dinner for change!:D:D

But probably the best you can do to solve this problem is just open lightroom, select the "develop" section, then go to "chromatic aberration" e switch the selection on "all edges"...

It should solve any of your problems!

Unfortunately I've got no room to work on such a small file, btw here's a quick fix.

With the original DNG, the correction should be much more effective and easy to apply.

Unfortunately I've got no room to work on such a small file, btw here's a quick fix.

With the original DNG, the correction should be much more effective and easy to apply.

maurizio,

thanks i can do these corrections. C1 does slightly better than lightroom but does not solve the problem. i wanted to hear opinions by other 24lux owners how theirs behaves.

peter

This looks like sensor blooming, not optical chromatic aberration. It's due to overexposure of an area, in this case the sky.

Ken I think you could be right but I am not sure. One could test for this by taking basically the same photo with a lens with very low known CA (50 ASPH Summilux or 50 ZM Planar) and seeing if the same phenomenon was present. I attach an extreme crop of a similar character photo taken with the 50 ASPH Lux on an M8, developed in Capture One (probably about 4.1 last year). There is next to no CA evident at all. If the Kodak sensor was blooming, one would have expected it to appear in this photo. I cropped down to 211 x 246 pixels and then up-rezzed to 815 x 950 to make it more visible.

Wilson

Ken I think you could be right but I am not sure. One could test for this by taking basically the same photo with a lens with very low known CA (50 ASPH Summilux or 50 ZM Planar) and seeing if the same phenomenon was present. I attach an extreme crop of a similar character photo taken with the 50 ASPH Lux on an M8, developed in Capture One (probably about 4.1 last year). There is next to no CA evident at all. If the Kodak sensor was blooming, one would have expected it to appear in this photo. I cropped down to 211 x 246 pixels and then up-rezzed to 815 x 950 to make it more visible.

Wilson

you may be right, it could be sensor blooming. please take a look at the attached 100% crop (overexposed sky, to keep the shadows in a different part of the image), taken with the 35mm summarit, wide open.

peter

maurizio,

thanks i can do these corrections. C1 does slightly better than lightroom but does not solve the problem. i wanted to hear opinions by other 24lux owners how theirs behaves.

peter

Purple fringing with ACR, virtually no purple fringing with C1 4.8.3. I did do a thread on the subject.

Obviously I do not know yet how it is on the M9, but there should be little difference.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/86126-21-1-4-needs-c1-4-a.html

Edited by jaapv

Purple fringing with ACR, virtually no purple fringing with C1 4.8.3. I did do a thread on the subject.

Obviously I do not know yet how it is on the M9, but there should be little difference.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/86126-21-1-4-needs-c1-4-a.html

yes, it does look better in C1....thanks. peter

I will use the DLux 4 one .

I used that VF with the M8+super Elmar 18 and actually it was not a good solution (IMO) because the VF was not lined up with the lens...

Not a big issue for many, but I'd just pointed this out.

For the same price, a 24mm used Leica-M VF would have been a better choice to me.

Yes, Jaap's right - it's not sensor blooming; more an raw converter issue on the transitions from blown highlights.

Sandy

I had a lot of these issues with ACR and went with Nikon`s NX2 for the Nikon cameras. They all disappeared without the auto corrections being applied. If I had true CA, the program fixed that better automatically than I could do in ACR manually.

My conclusion is for my Nikons, ACR leaves much to be desired. I would look elsewhere for a raw converter that actually works. I would look at Capture first, expensive but worth it.

Before NX2, I wrote a bunch of actions to get rid of these problems but then got tired of running them.