Who would like an interchangeable-lense X2?

felipe-m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

See this interesting list of best seller camera in europe. Mainly are compact camera with moderate zoom or economical reflex. This shows how much, in average, people wish compact cameras ( this mean a market area) with either or interchangeable lens or moderate zoom. I think that an X1 either with moderate zoom ( no need for an fast one such as f 2.0; an f4.0 is enought and more compact) because this market area use flash more than available light and even in case of available light a digital camera can increase the iso speed ( noise can be accepted in extreme cases). There is a space for it as who want an compact autofocus camera does not buy an M9 or an S2. Dlux or Clux are not the same field.

fig1.pdf

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no need for an fast one such as f 2.0; an f4.0 is enough and more compact
...not in the market that leica targets and most Leica owners will disagree with you here........... flexibility in DOF range is pretty paramount.

...not in the market that leica targets and most Leica owners will disagree with you here........... flexibility in DOF rang is pretty paramount.

Shooting Leicas for 27 years -professional photorapher. The whole point for me was shooting wide open f2. That is the beauty of a Leica lens- the feeling you get with the edge fall off wide open.

My only real "complaint" with the X1 is that it is F2.8 and not F2. At f3.5 or f4 I wouldn't even be considering the X1.

Edited by msnyc
Additional info.

Shooting Leicas for 27 years -professional photorapher. The whole point for me was shooting wide open f2. That is the beauty of a Leica lens- the feeling you get with the edge fall off wide open.

That the point X1 should not be for a such customer! There is a lot of space for point and shot high quality camera. Any way this should an interchangeable lens option if you like an f1.4 you should have this option. X1 is a fullly auto that is much different from an M9 in term of potential customer.That need an easy camera not a beatifull but manual camera. New customer not Leica customer!

Edited by Vip
highlight

That the point X1 should not be for a such customer! There is a lot of space for point and shot high quality camera. Any way this should an interchangeable lens option if you like an f1.4 you should have this option. X1 is a fullly auto that is much different from an M9 in term of potential customer.That need an easy camera not a beatifull but manual camera. New customer not Leica customer!

Absolutely disagree. This camera will not replace my M Cameras. It will replace my Ricoh and DLux 3. It is also not so fully automatic that you have no control. At aperture priority it does exactly what I want it to do. Sure it's not f1.4 or even f2- but it's leica glass and I don't expect anything else in this category to compete with it. I'll gladly settle for f2.8 leica glass in the whatever category the X1 falls into.

The first tier market is EXACTLY the existing Leica M users-- there are the first ones who undertand what this camera is about and the only ones crazy enough to spend 2 plus grand on an impulse by.

In terms of real usage the X1 is NOT much different from the M9 or M8. Other than the manual focusing the 8 and 9 are effectively aperture preferred point and shoot cameras-- they are ridiculously simple to use-- simpler than the Dlux 3 or the Ricoh. I don't really undertand this dumb perjorative- "point and shoot"--- my canon d's and Hassellad H1 are all effectively point and shoot cameras. I can't wait for an M10 autofocus point and shoot

with a Cmos chip.

The non interchangeble lens Is for the most part also irrelevant. I never changed lenses on my M leicas- each lens had it's own body.

If you don't understand what this camera is about then it it not the camera for you.

The biggest mistake is wanting one camera to do everything-- why? When we get to that point it's a compromise anyway.

From all indications far this is a camera made for serious photographer.

I hope it meets our expectations in terms of IQ and fast focusing and reasonable buffer.

If it does than this thing is a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I think the X1 is spot on for what I want in high quality P&S. I want a fixed focal length lens, I want the large sensor. I now shot a Ricoh because of it's fixed focal length lens. I do wish the X1 was faster than 2.8 say 2.0. as the 1.9 GR-DIII is. But the image stablization may well make up for that.

If I want an interchangeable lens camera with me, I'll take the M8 or M7 or the Canon 5D or even a Leicaflex SL2.

The X1 is the first compact digital Leica I would buy as you can see the Leica design philosophy in it, not Pana Faux-Leica.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This camera will not replace my M Cameras. It will replace my Ricoh and DLux 3.

So you are agree with me!! No competition between M9 and X1! This thread is discussing if we like an X1 with interchangeable lens. I think this can expand the LEICA MARKET a lot, conquering new customers that, later, can discover also M and S series. But absolutely you can not define an M9 an point and shot camera: is manually focus ( not easy for young or beginner, rangefinder does not show what will be you have to immagine). Ask in a supermarket to non photographer an M9 and a Dlux and see what youngs will choose to use.

"The non interchangeble lens Is for the most part also irrelevant. I never changed lenses on my M leicas- each lens had it's own body".

That is not what new customers ask: not 5 bodies with 5 lens for costs and weight. There is an economical crisis now.

The biggest mistake is wanting one camera to do everything-- why? When we get to that point it's a compromise anyway.

But I do not mean a camera that make everything, only an autofocus,automatic, with flash and interchangeable lens. You will prefere Panasonic selling a lot of Gf1 with Leica m4/3 lens?

Go back to the best seller camera in Europe. Are all european with no brain?

Leica has to sell only to a small market or can offer different product line?

Yes, I think interchangeable lens X2 would be a good idea for all the reasons already mentioned. More focal lengths enhance flexibility, although I think the X1 still looks very good as is. Only two extra lenses would be needed: one ultra wide and one semi tele.

I wonder if it would be possible to add a W/A attachment, similar to Ricoh's GRD, which has a fixed 28mm-equiv lens and a 21mm-equiv attachment?

I don't think X1 or a hypothetical X2 would jeopardize M sales -- they are different beasts. It would open up a new maket and perhaps stimulate M sales.

Absolutely disagree. This camera will not replace my M Cameras. It will replace my Ricoh and DLux 3. It is also not so fully automatic that you have no control. At aperture priority it does exactly what I want it to do. Sure it's not f1.4 or even f2- but it's leica glass and I don't expect anything else in this category to compete with it. I'll gladly settle for f2.8 leica glass in the whatever category the X1 falls into.

The first tier market is EXACTLY the existing Leica M users-- there are the first ones who undertand what this camera is about and the only ones crazy enough to spend 2 plus grand on an impulse by.

In terms of real usage the X1 is NOT much different from the M9 or M8. Other than the manual focusing the 8 and 9 are effectively aperture preferred point and shoot cameras-- they are ridiculously simple to use-- simpler than the Dlux 3 or the Ricoh. I don't really undertand this dumb perjorative- "point and shoot"--- my canon d's and Hassellad H1 are all effectively point and shoot cameras. I can't wait for an M10 autofocus point and shoot

with a Cmos chip.

The non interchangeble lens Is for the most part also irrelevant. I never changed lenses on my M leicas- each lens had it's own body.

If you don't understand what this camera is about then it it not the camera for you.

I hope it meets our expectations in terms of IQ and fast focusing and reasonable buffer.

Yes, agree with you I use my silver cloud cabriolette for good time, My testarosa for serius driving, my porsche for...and so on.......:D

I´m a little borried of I,I,I or me, me, me or Leica,Leica...Sorry I don´t pretend be the Leica CEO. Lets think in US.

Some some of u are happy with X1 goooddddd

Some of the rest (I think a crowd) would prefer a good zoom or better an M mount.Not it´s a price quaestion in exclusive.

So please, you rich people or rich pros, let´s have our dream toy . Don´t worried at least Leica are not interested at all in market studios, so they never build it, but let´s dream us:p.

with a Cmos chip.

Yes, agree with you I use my silver cloud cabriolette for good time, My testarosa for serius driving, my porsche for...and so on.......:D

I´m a little borried of I,I,I or me, me, me or Leica,Leica...Sorry I don´t pretend be the Leica CEO. Lets think in US.

Some some of u are happy with X1 goooddddd

Some of the rest (I think a crowd) would prefer a good zoom or better an M mount.Not it´s a price quaestion in exclusive.

So please, you rich people or rich pros, let´s have our dream toy . Don´t worried at least Leica are not interested at all in market studios, so they never build it, but let´s dream us:p.

There is a whole market out there that Leica needs to re-establish (upper middle class, mobile, educated -- the folks that used to by film Leicas and walk around Ashland, Oregon and Paris). Those folks aren't interested in interchangeable lenses, nor in M backups.

Maybe interchangeable some day, but first a moderate range, high quality zoom, and perhaps an EVF.

Paris perhaps, but Ashland, Oregon, is so last year.

Edited by fotografr

Just put am M mount on the body and let the consumer take it from there. Call it am LXM or something.

It has been tried last year when the first Micro 4/3 came out and a Leica M adapter was soon available. Didn't work too well with lenses shorter than 35mm, which is already a short tele on the quarter sized chip compared to FF (in an almost same sized body compared to the new M9).

The whole discussion shows how wonderful the dedicated Kodak chips first and second generations are for using the small and superior Leica lenses.

They have to explore new markets but their top notch reputation is M and now Digital M. Their binoculars sell well too, I've heard. I will not check the X1 forum again before the cam is not available at my local dealer and we all have our own experiences to write about. And since I don't see rental opportunities for the M9, save for a year or so.

Edited by Guest
typo

I'll bet that if Leica doesn't add at least a zoom in the next incarnation of the X1, it will be one of their shortest lived products.There aren't enought Leica hard core user in the world to float this boat for to long. A $2000.00 P&S, and how much more for an add on viewfinder? Ridiculous..