I love my M5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Summaron is a superb lens. Compact, super sharp and contrasty. They don't come up often at Leica dealers, which suggests that people hang onto their Summarons.

The M5 is overbuilt, and nothing - not even the metering arm - is fragile. It's a wonderfully thought out machine. Probably the main thing to watch out for is corrosion, or a bent contact, inside the battery compartment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently got my M5 back from Alan Starkie, who fully overhauled it, and replaced the battery chamber and contact. No parts available any more, but he was able to use one from a Leica SL. Great service - he even replaced the tiny rubber bump stops on the back door, and the silvered strip along the bottom of the big front window.

43 years old, and this camera is now as good as new. I know not everyone agrees, but I think the M5 is a very handsome machine, and properly businesslike.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Hello ktmrider2,

There are other meter frames in the M5 range/viewfinder:

The 50mm meter frame, as you noted, is the circle, which is sometimes referred to as the "barrel", that appears with the 50mm frame.

The 28mm meter frame, for later 28mm lenses, is a circle which is the diagonal of the 90mm frame. The 28mm lens keys the 90mm frame.

The 35mm meter frame is a circle which is the diagonal of the 135mm frame. The 135mm frame "pops" up together with the 35mm frame

The 90mm meter frame is a circle which is the diagonal of the rangefinder patch when the 2 images coincide.

The 135mm meter frame is a circle which is the HEIGHT of the rangefinder patch when the 2 images coincide.

When using a later Visoflex III the meter frame is the circle on the focusing screen.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

And I should have added that I am coming to appreciate the 50mm focal length more and more.  Now, I have somehow acquired 8 M mount lenses (2 more since February) but I seem to be using less and less focal lengths.  I have not used either extreme (21 and 135) this year and I seem to be using the 50 more then I used to do.

I am not close to the "one lens one camera" way of thinking.  There is a reason why the M mount was invented.  And honestly I am not sure if 35 or 50 is my favorite (think it has to do with the position of the stars).  But if I was told the 50 is the only lens I could own, I would not be too devastated.

And the M5 with 50f1.1 Nokton could substitute well for a mace (must be the Marine part of my thinking).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I have posted here, I have a black chrome M5 which I purchased from Sherry two years ago.  Now the camera functions as new but the black chrome finish does not age as well as either black paint or silver chrome.  Well, I discovered last month that the little white plastic inset on the self timer lever was missing.

Self timer works just fine but it was one of those little things which bug a person.  I was talking to Sherry a few days ago on LTM Leica's as I have never owned one and have only handled one about five minutes four years ago at Red Dot Camera in London.  She was explaining the labor of love that CLA's are of those cameras and the cost.  Anyway, subject shifted to the M5 and she gave me the contact info for parts at Leica, NJ.  I called and guess what- they are sending me the little white plastic inset for free.

Now, my M5 was probably made about 1971 so a free part for a 47 year old camera.  That is pretty dam good!

• Like 1

Hi guys! This is my first post and I am so glad to be in Leica home.

I'm LeicaMouR and I take my Leica to take a photos tous les jours...and I love very much my M5

• Like 3

I'm LeicaMouR and I take my Leica to take a photos tous les jours...and I love very much my M5

• Like 3

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

And here is the new toy for the boy. The M5 with a goggled Summaron 1:2.8 / 35. Ready for testing in Marseille next week. If all works wel and the film developping skills come back after 25 years, envisaging a Summiccron 1:2.0 / 50 as portrait lens. Or should I go 75, 90, 135mm?

34519_B54_F3_A8_4_B08_8_FB9_FA06_BFC065_

• Like 1

Nice find.

The reasonable way may be Summicron 50mm for your next lens.

For two lenses combo, I prefer 35mm and 75mm (adventurous with M5) :p.

Later why not a 75mm (M5 lacks the frame lines for 75mm if it was not been modified).

But I used with my M5 for years Summilux-M 75mm with practice, I just "frame with 75 in mind" with the 50 frame lines.

is the 75mm more difficult to focus on the M5 than the 90 APO ?

Nice find.

The reasonable way may be Summicron 50mm for your next lens.

For two lenses combo, I prefer 35mm and 75mm (adventurous with M5) :p.

Later why not a 75mm (M5 lacks the frame lines for 75mm if it was not been modified).

But I used with my M5 for years Summilux-M 75mm with practice, I just "frame with 75 in mind" with the 50 frame lines.

is the 75mm more difficult to focus on the M5 than the 90 APO ?

I don't have the 90mm Apo, but plain Summicron-M 90.

In M5, the focussing is as easy in 75mm or 90mm.

In my Kodachrome days, I've never found any "focus problem" with my lenses from 21mm to 135mm.

The "said trouble" came with digital M (in this case, I use magnifier x1.25 or x1.4 for longer lenses or EVF :p ).

I think the reason that a 75mm was referred to as more "adventurous" is the M5 does not have a 75mm frame line.  Now, I have never used a 75 as I find 50 and 90 work just fine as a team but other's seem to adjust to a 75 just fine by adding a bit of area outside the 50.  It is not exactly like any M viewfinder is that precise, at least not compared to the 100% viewfinder of my Nikon F.

And here is the new toy for the boy. The M5 with a goggled Summaron 1:2.8 / 35. Ready for testing in Marseille next week. If all works wel and the film developping skills come back after 25 years, envisaging a Summiccron 1:2.0 / 50 as portrait lens. Or should I go 75, 90, 135mm?

Congratulations Blen,

With the 35mm lens, a 50 is so close that I would suggest a 75mm or a 90mm.  The 1:1.4/75 is overly large and with modern film you will rarely if ever use f/1.4.  I can recommend the Apo-Summicron-M 1:2 / 75 ASPH which I use with the Voigtländer 75mm Brightline Viewfinder.  The Voigtländer Color-Heliar 75mm F2.5 MC is also an excellent lens and indistinguisable from the Apo-Summicron-M from f/4 onward.  Have fun.

Edited by hektor
  • Like 1

Congratulations Blen,

With the 35mm lens, a 50 is so close that I would suggest a 75mm or a 90mm. The 1:1.4/75 is overly large and with modern film you will rarely if ever use f/1.4. I can recommend the Apo-Summicron-M 1:2 / 75 ASPH which I use with the Voigtländer 75mm Brightline Viewfinder. The Voigtländer Color-Heliar 75mm F2.5 MC is also an excellent lens and indistinguisable from the Apo-Summicron-M from f/4 onward. Have fun.

Hi Hektor

Thank you for the advise.

Came along a 90/2.8 “FAT” TELE-ELMARIT today in good condition.

This compact 90 mm is very tempting.

But let’s first see the results of the test shooting.

Grtz Bruno

Edited by blen

Hi Bruno,

The Tele-Elmarit 1:2.8/90 "fat" is one of my favourite lenses.

It is standard fitment when photographing my children.

Out-of-focus blur at f/5.6 is the best I have seen.

I sold the "thin" Tele-Elmarit 1:2.8/90 which I didn't think was much of a lens.

Go for it.

MfG

Hektor

Edited by hektor
  • Like 2