The end of MP/M7 production?

Guest Colt Seavers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So you see a great future for the MP as the pefect skiing-camera? What about the sensitive rangefinder when it get´s some nice bumps? Pardon, every modern digital compact camera is better. No problem with batteries, you can wear your camera inside your warm jacket until you take some snapshots.

I think the end of new film-M´s is quit near. No positive signs from Solms.

Total B.S., I snowboard, climb and shoot professionally, I use my M3, MP-3 or M6 over a battery dependent DSLR quite often, no problems at all and much preferred.

If you are afraid of bumps jarring your R/F, then you have bigger things to worry about than that, like not being a "Gaper" on the hill...

Edited by KM-25

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you see a great future for the MP as the pefect skiing-camera? [...] Pardon, every modern digital compact camera is better. [...] I think the end of new film-M´s is quit near. No positive signs from Solms.

The end of MP/M7? It may happen some day in the future. For the Leica M photographer, it will signal the end of a glorious and deeply humane era, something vastly more tragic than just the disappearance of a type of camera.

Yes, we will be left with the "better" digital compacts. And I hate so much to buy my camera from a store selling washing machines as well.

Paul

The day when Leica will stop the production of the M film, will follow Hasselblad… And the florists will be happy. One will buy beautiful flowers to bury film and I will stop the photo.

Because behind my computer, I'm bored, but I'm bored… Good-bye photography. Stop to touch paper to make assemble the white with the hands ... My pleasure will be limited to 1, 0 and Dr. Photoshop... Pfffff

The sun was there this morning and he left!

PS sorry for my English

Jean-Marc

Website

Blog

Guest Colt Seavers
If you are afraid of bumps jarring your R/F, then you have bigger things to worry about than that, like not being a "Gaper" on the hill...

My problem with my M´s on snow is called snowkiting. Two misaligned RFs are enough:mad:

The end of MP/M7? It may happen some day in the future. For the Leica M photographer, it will signal the end of a glorious and deeply humane era, something vastly more tragic than just the disappearance of a type of camera.

Yes, we will be left with the "better" digital compacts. And I hate so much to buy my camera from a store selling washing machines as well.

Paul

But what if.... there are so many skilled craftsmen out there, and those with access to CNC machines and low volume casting... there would be enough people out there to make Wiki-Leicas... each contributor making one piece, but many of them and spares too, and then assembling as you go until you have finished cameras... If the soviets could do it with the Zorki... surely highly trained and motivated people on the web could do it...

we off by making a Zorki 1 and as skill and networking improved make other cameras... like the British group that scratchbuilt a 1940s steam engine...

Wiki cameras... could even build the Barnack IV that never was

David

Wiki cameras... could even build the Barnack IV that never was

David

David,

I really like that!

But...let me confess something. When I, finally, became overwhelmed with the flood of threads about digital Leicas, I decided to somehow react, in private. So I bought a 6x4.5 Bronica and recently a 501CM, and now I am trying to learn MF photography. Believe me, "learn" is the right word, for I discovered that I essentially know nothing about correct exposure and creative composition.

EVERYTHING is manual--I also had to buy a hand-held lightmeter. However, I feel like havnig started photography all over again. And it feels nice.

Paul

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My problem with my M´s on snow is called snowkiting. Two misaligned RFs are enough:mad:

Hmm...Never snowkite'd, don't know what the potential is there. I did just get done riding with my M3 / Collapsable, fits nice under my jacket.

I think the worst exposure to impact to an M for me was when the front points of my crampon broke on a 50 degree ice chute on Rainier. I had my M6 / 28 Summicron around my neck, I went flying down about 20 feet then the rope caught. The M6 bounced off of ice chunks as I tried to self arrest early. It was fine...

To digress -- snow-kiting? Would love to see some pictures! Where do you do that?

I've taken both Ms and compacts skiing. I have to say I wasn't so worried with a compact, and was quite pleased with results -- despite howling gale at the top of the mountain.

With so many fine Leica optics now, it would seem to make sense to keep more than one M body in production to accommodate them.

The day when Leica will stop the production of the M film, will follow Hasselblad… And the florists will be happy. One will buy beautiful flowers to bury film and I will stop the photo.

Because behind my computer, I'm bored, but I'm bored… Good-bye photography. Stop to touch paper to make assemble the white with the hands ... My pleasure will be limited to 1, 0 and Dr. Photoshop... Pfffff

The sun was there this morning and he left!

PS sorry for my English

Jean-Marc

Website

Blog

Hi, all - I think film photography will go on for as long as someone wants to do it. I moved from Leica to Hasselblad, and managed to assemble a new kit as the various lenses and parts were going out of production. There are people to work on the cameras and parts available; so why worry? If you want to shoot film with a Leica, just do it and don't worry so much about tomorrow. Go to the darkroom and develop your stuff when there are no more labs doing it (at least for B&W). Either print traditionally or scan and go digital. There's plenty of work to be done and fun to be had. In the end, companies come and go - its really up to us to make it last.

Cheers,

Mike

Leica can sell every MP and M7 they manufacture these days, at a profit. So long as they're able to do that, I can't see why they would want to cease production. It's what they call in business a cash cow.

Judging from the number of people I see with M7s and MPs in Tokyo, the Japanese market alone could sustain Leica's film camera business.

The problem is they keep putting up the prices. I would have bought an a la carte MP by now if they had not gone thru the roof. Now I just cant justify it. However, I have bought two new M bodies from them in the last 3 years so I think that is enough on both counts :D

Their new range of M lenses appear very focused on the M8, so their release means nothing in terms of film M production. It may be that they need the production space for more profitable lines even if the M continues to turn a profit.

Not many people make view cameras any more, but plenty still use them. With spares in supply for 30 years and many lasting well beyond that anyway, I dont think anyone needs to panic. Even if you are a 16 year old owner of a MP, I suspect it will see you out. film will be the issue.

The problem is they keep putting up the prices. I would have bought an a la carte MP by now if they had not gone thru the roof. Now I just cant justify it. However, I have bought two new M bodies from them in the last 3 years so I think that is enough on both counts :D

Their new range of M lenses appear very focused on the M8, so their release means nothing in terms of film M production. It may be that they need the production space for more profitable lines even if the M continues to turn a profit.

Not many people make view cameras any more, but plenty still use them. With spares in supply for 30 years and many lasting well beyond that anyway, I dont think anyone needs to panic. Even if you are a 16 year old owner of a MP, I suspect it will see you out. film will be the issue.

Yes, yes, yes. A new MP is $4300 US. Back in 2003 I purchased a new one for $2595 US -- which was list price for this new camera then. A similar story can be told for the lenses.

Leica pricing for me is based not only on the cost of production, but also on what the market can bear. I may be wrong in this regard, but Leica should limit their pricing to cost plus a reasonable profit. And if does cost that much tp produce these cameras in Germany, then it's time for a change.

And I feel there's a finite market for MPs and M7s, and when that market is satisfied, demand will drop rapidly. I do envision, however, some variation of an analog M to be available a la carte. I think limited demand will keep the camera alive to that extent.

I don't anyone who has purchased new Leica at current list prices. Although there's some very tasty deals on new R stuff currently.

I'm convinced now that 35mm film will always be available. You may have very limited choices, and you may have to send it to Topeka or Tim Buk Tu for processing, and it will costs a lot, but it will be available. Back in 2000-2001 these forums were filled with everyone saying film is going to be gone in five years, blah, blah, blah, yet here we are, more then five years later.

Their new range of M lenses appear very focused on the M8, so their release means nothing in terms of film M production.

I'll respectfully disagree with this statement. I am a 100% film shooter and the new 24 Summilux is awesome in film (check out the images in my blog if you have not seen them). I am now waiting for the 21 before deciding which one to keep.

Cheers,

Yes, yes, yes. A new MP is $4300 US. Back in 2003 I purchased a new one for $2595 US -- which was list price for this new camera then. A similar story can be told for the lenses.

you cant blame Leica for the weakness of the dollar though. The Euro price of the M7 at launch was circa 3000 €, until the end of last year it was still within about 10% of that figure.

Guest Luis D

There is only one thing that is absolutely certain - the M8 will not last as long as an M6/M7/MP. Seriously, what is the maximum lifespan of an M8 - 5 years, 7 years - then what. You have to spend another half fortune to buy a new body once again, much the same as the other manufacturers.

For guys who takes their camera from the closet once in a month, yes you have a point. But for he who shoots regularly, if you will add on the cost of film and developing, the money is spent about the same with an M6. I have some friends who shoots still with Nikon D1x or Canon 1D from the beginning. True, the performance of those are far behind today's, but the leaps in image quality are not as long as they were in those days. Today there is no such urgency for upgrading from 1DSMKII or 5D to 1DSMKIII or 5DMKII except to have the latest toy. As long as it is possible to service an M8, I donot see what is the urgency to throw him in the trash as soon a replacement is offered.