M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, it seems you make some confusions about the delay mode and the new shutter...... anyway, it's because you don't know the digital M8.

But let yourself simply "rip-off" with a M8 or even a M8.2, and you'll see the world with another eye. Maybe a more objective one ? :cool:

Funny how people like to talk about things without knowing much about them, isn't it Philippe? :D

I am definitely not making any confusion between the new shutter & the delay mode; read my message, and you'll see I am talking about the delay mode, which Leica should have included in FW for the M8 from the beginning, but choose not to and didn't (to boost M8.2 sales, or at least not to trump them: being the M8.2 a very weak update it needed all it could get as far as differencing between M8 & M8.2).

As far as my knowledge of the M8, there you keep being wrong again, I had 2 M8s for about 1 year before selling them - so, I definitely saw the world through 2 M8s for quite a while, Philippe, and after doing so I decided to go back to film-only M shooting. Maybe I do know more about the M8 and about Ms in general than you do, maybe not, but still I wouldn't say anything like you said when you assumed that I didn't "know the digital M8".

So, while nobody's eye is really never objective, being that everybody is just expressing their opinions, I feel you could read better before you reply, and you should as well learn to respect other people's opinions a little more. They might know much more than you think they do.

It has been spotted... I believe the DOD is trying to unload it on eBay to make ends meet :D

Military: Always Wanted a Stealth Boat? The Navy Is Giving This One Away

seashadow02.jpg

What a smart thing! We do wonder over here how the US government is going to finance the 1,75 trillion $ 2009 deficit. Borrowing the money? From where? Printing new dollars, - like the Weimar Republic - or Zimbabwe? Selling off stuff must be the only good solution!

Hi, Thank you for moralizing me Vieri.

I had 2 M8s for about 1 year before selling them - so, I definitely saw the world through 2 M8s for quite a while...

Well, some photographers don't get impressed by the M8, other do and fall in love with it.

Other are still waiting for the M9 and FF and so on... other are always, systematically, bashing on Leica, whatever they do.

So take the one you want.

I have made my religion on it and i'am still happy with my digital M8 as it is, therefore i thank Leica for making every effort to:

a- improve the system and give his customers the opportunity to get access to it.

b- to make everything possible (inclusive a M8.2 etc..) to remain alive as a firm.

Cheers.

Will the discreet mode be permanently set to "on", or will the operator have the option to turn it off when desired? From a post above it seems the discreet mode draws a little more power; turning it off would be beneficial.

We should be elated with this (pre-) announcement. When Lee introduced the upgrade philosophy, it was the final push to my purchasing decision. However, Solms should be taken to task for not making this available sooner. There are many here who paid excessively - either through mail-in upgrades or the purchase of the M8.2 - they will probably be more than a little bit miffed.

Sfokevin, Thanks for the picture of the stealth boat. Great response to my request. Being that you live in the SF area, could you perform 1 more miracle for me? I would be very"GRATEFUL" if you could bring back Jerry Garcia back from the "DEAD". Thanks, Russell P.S. I can't wait to upgrade my 2 M8 bodies and run "cloaked".

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, Thank you for moralizing me Vieri.

Well, some photographers don't get impressed by the M8, other do and fall in love with it.

Other are still waiting for the M9 and FF and so on... other are always, systematically, bashing on Leica, whatever they do.

So take the one you want.

I have made my religion on it and i'am still happy with my digital M8 as it is, therefore i thank Leica for making every effort to:

a- improve the system and give his customers the opportunity to get access to it.

b- to make everything possible (inclusive a M8.2 etc..) to remain alive as a firm.

Cheers.

Philippe, indeed - I haven't been impressed by the M8, as much as you made your religion on it. I am not waiting for the M9 or for a FF Leica; I am not consistently bashing Leica, on the contrary I love Leica cameras & optics, so much that I have 6 Leica cameras & 7 Leica lenses that I use almost every day; I just call it as I see it on Leica's marketing & policies, hoping that this will help some. I choose not to make a religion of it, and I choose not to be blind and not to accept whatever comes from Leica as the gospel as many on these fora regularly do. I also decided not to accept being bashed for doing so, incidentally.

In this case, not giving the delay in FW when they could have just to boost M8.2 sales & giving it after these sales peaked seems to me to be not much of an ethical behavior for a company. You seems to think that their survival as a company justifies everything and anything, I do think it might and should stop short of pulling their customer base's leg - however, it seems that people either don't notice or they are happy all the same, so more power to Leica. Leica is, for most, a religion more than a tool - this affords the company a leeway that other company don't have with their customer base; and Leica is, most definitely, taking advantage of it and lately this happens more often than not (maybe due to the harder times plus the digital revolution) - which is exactly what I don't like when I see it.

I am confused about that will all m8 can use discrete shutter? Not shutter upgraded M8 can use discrete shutter function or only upgraded? This new function related about mechanical???

The OP writes "M8, M8u, M8.2".

When some of us criticized Leica for not allowing a FW upgrade to deliver discreet mode to M8, others defended the marketing policy, even claiming "it's a mechanical limitation".

Now "L" delivers the useful mode to all M8s via a simple FW upgrade.

Bad marketing in the beginning, what are the people who bought M8.2 on its "unique" features to say? What are the unique features left that CANNOT be added to M8?

I am confused about that will all m8 can use discrete shutter? Not shutter upgraded M8 can use discrete shutter function or only upgraded? This new function related about mechanical???

David Farkas's first post states that "Discreet advance is now available for all M8 models (M8, M8u, and M8.2)". According to the information the discreet advance is not dependent on the mechanics of the camera and the M8 does not have to be upgraded for it to work.

Pete.

This may be a stupid question about loading firmware upgrades, but I recently acquired a second M8 body. Can I use the same SD card to upload the firmware upgrade to both my M8 bodies? Please help. Thanks, Russell

Normally the card is formatted at the end of the firmware upgrade process so you would not have the new firmware left on the card.

Also it is best to place (copy) the firmware back on the card for every M8 you plan to update.

But there is NO reason not to use the same card.

NOTE:

On every M8 that DOES NOT have firmware version 2.00 or higher already installed on the camera ALWAYS use a standard SD card, NOT A SDHC CARD, to do the upgrade with.

Also all the camera settings will be put back to factory defaults during the update, including picture numbering, so it is best to take a shot just before doing the update then remove that card and set it aside. Use a different card to do the update then put back the card that has the shot on it and view that shot on the camera LCD. Take another shot and review it to make sure your picture numbering stays continuous and from were it left off.

Jeff, I don't have WinZip on my computer, I send a SD(notSDHC) card toLeica NJ and they send me my card back to upload upgrades. I will call Dave Elwell on Monday, March 2 and ask him about this. If you are correct, I will have to send 2 SD cards every time I need to do these upgrades. Both cameras have the current firmware version.Russell

Russell be excuse me but this has got to be the (I don't know what) post I have ever read.

Many operating system already include a utility to UnZip Zipped files without ever installing any other software on your computer (I think Mac's do it automatically when downloading a ZIP file) and I know Windows, from at least XP on, have a built in UnZipping program. Not only that but there are other software programs that include a UnZipping program, like Powerdesk Pro a file management program. Or all you need to do is install WinZip which is free and very small.

No need to send a SD card to NJ to get the UnZipped firmware update.

If for some reason you can't do this on your own just go to a local highschool or college or even to your next door neighbors kid to UnZip the file.

You can overcome the need to write the data back to the card after an update if you set the write protect tab on the SD card to "lock" before you put the card in a camera.

I'm very pleased to hear about the delayed re-cocking.

Bob.

This use to be true with earlier firmwares but it has been my experience that now, with newer firmwares, that the camera will read the card is locked and will not give you the option to do the firmware update.

YMMV.

Will the discreet mode be permanently set to "on", or will the operator have the option to turn it off when desired? From a post above it seems the discreet mode draws a little more power; turning it off would be beneficial.

The discreet mode is turned on in a menu item. You can turn it off by returning to the menu and setting it back to OFF or you can switch the camera to "continuous" mode, which will override the discreet feature and fire the rewind each time the shutter has closed. Of course, then you have to lift your finger after the shot or you will get multiple frames.

Don't have any hard data about power consumption. I think the difference in the power needed to rewind the 1/8000 shutter in the M8 and the power to rewind the 1/4000 shutter in the M8u and M8.2 is probably a bigger deal.

scott

This is good news from Leica, no point in moaning now about what they should of done. I decided to skip the M8.2 camera and the upgrades and wait for the M9.

Those that have bought the M8.2 have commented that it is a much more solid and refined camera, they also got a new warranty etc so in general they will be happy. They know in anycase that as early adopters they bought in at the highest price. M8 upgraders now get the one feature they wanted, for free.

Those who kept to the original M8 get the discreet mode with the faster/noisier shutter, but dont yet know how that will sound, it might be relatively worthless?

Everyone should be happy except perhaps those that abandoned the M8 and now wish they hadn't.

Jeff