M8 Firmware 2.004

dfarkas

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

.... At that point, it makes sense to release a lens menu in the firmware, with a disclaimer that the best results happen with Leica-coded lenses. Leica loses nothing, and they gain goodwill and positive buzz.

(How do you say "hint, hint" in German?) :D

--Peter

It's "Andeutung," but it doesn't have the same gentle nudge sound to it.

scott

Well people (including me) moaned when Leica did not upgrade the M8 with the discreet shutter and they are moaning now that they have.

If you bought an M8.2 great, if you had waited you might have saved some money but then you would not have a new beautiful camera with new warranty. Everyone makes their decisions based on what is available at the time. I bought a WATE but now Leica introduces a 18mm Elmar which seems a better, less expensive, easier to use lens. If only I had known, I would have waited. And so it goes on.

Jeff

I would have been very pissed off if I bought an M8.2. I feel for all those who bought it for the discreet mode.

Why? They have a rather nice new camera. If anybody bought it for just this one feature and nothing else, well, I can only say I would love to have that kind of money to burn....

Grober, I believe that the discreet advance might be the same setting as the M8.2 has. This means that the shutter release will be delayed as long as you hold the button down.If I am right, we will be able to "cloak " the noise of the shutter on our M8(M8u)just like the owners of M8.2 owners. Eagerly awaiting announcement on March 3rd. to confirm this. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? let us know. Russell

Thank you, Russell.

-g

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why? They have a rather nice new camera. If anybody bought it for just this one feature and nothing else, well, I can only say I would love to have that kind of money to burn....

My thoughts exactly. The M8.2 I handled somehow seemed better built than my M8's (and my slightly later black M8 feels better built than my earlier chrome -something to be said for hand building that they can tweak more easily the tolerances as they go) so one is getting much more than just a discreet mode extra with the 8.2.

And besides, the discreet mode may be nice to have, but how often do we really want to have to shove our cameras under our coats while shooting anyway? Personally I'd rather have the quieter shutter. But it is nice that we can now have both. I also suspect the original M8 is pretty much discontinued at this point - the $1500 rebate probably worked.

My pleasure. Though, from your responses, it seems pretty difficult to imagine that you could effectively be enlightened on anything. Conspiracy theory? No, I'd say marketing - more or less ruthless - as others have easily understood (see various posts on this thread), but not you evidently; self-absorbed drivel? Oh, c'mon please.

i take it the concept of sarcasm escapes you ...

still ... there's no need to get constipated when someone

doesn't buy into your conspiracy theories or self-absorbed

drivel.

there could be half dozen reasons why Leica decided to

release this feature when they did. and marketing could

certainly be one of them. but unless you know that factually

(as in have insider knowledge of Leica's business decision

making process) your stated opinion is nothing more than a

conspiracy theory (in the way you've presented your opinion).

:D

Edited by cyberean

Russell,

You could do a 'dry run' on the current firmware version by downloading it from the Leica website so you'll know that 7-zip works without having to wait for the new firmware to be released.

Pete.

Pete, I had my daughter's boyfriend show me how to do FW upgrade. I then tried it a few times on my own( using the computer loaded w/Vista) I found 2 ways to load the FW upgrades and followed your advice, doing a few dry runs on both cameras. I was successful every time, will try again on Tuesday with the real thing (FW 2.004). I did not use any external programs. I am sorry that I hijacked the original thread. Thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding. Russell

drivel.

Classic, trying to pass a personal attack for irony or sarcasm, after the fact of course. You better desist, sir; and learn what a conspiracy theory is before talking. Let me tell you one last time, let's see if you will get it this time: I never stated anything but my opinion that the delayed release has been nothing but a marketing decision from Leica, who decided to release it a while after the M8.2's release not to trump M8.2's sales. Got it? Last, as I repeatedly said in this thread and as it must be obvious to anyone with a working brain, of course all we present here is our opinions, unless you are Dr. Kaufmann or Stephen, or someone else speaking for Leica - which you are not, as far as I remember. Mine is a reasonable and logic interpretation of why Leica decided to hold on the release; you don't like it, fine. You have a better one, or a dozen better ones, more solid and logical than mine, please do offer them to us; otherwise, as I said before, desist from making personal attacks when you have nothing better to back up your ideas and try to learn to respect other people's vision, it will do you some good.

Edited by vieri

[...]And besides, the discreet mode may be nice to have, but how often do we really want to have to shove our cameras under our coats while shooting anyway?

Most of the shutter sound comes out through the back (this is after all where the shutter sits). So you you do not need any hide-it-under-the-jacket antics. Just press the camera against your midriff as you release the shutter-cocking, that will dampen the sound quite well---and even better if you have a bit of belly fat, I presume!

The old man from the Lean Years

drivel.

Wow - I know there are some people around here who blocked me for being an antagonistic little sh*t. I got nothing on this guy! ;)

Anyway, it seems pretty obvious that Vieri is right in his assessment. The real question though, is whether this constituted an unfair business practice by Leica? I'd rather be grateful that they've allowed all of us to enjoy this benefit now. And as others have said, those that bought the M8.2 now have a lot more than just a discreet shutter alone.

drivel.

Ummm.. The smiley doesn't help...This concept would kill off about 60% of the threads in this forum, namely those filled with often wild speculation.

This concept would kill off about 60% of the threads in this forum, namely those filled with often wild speculation.

A statement which is itself speculative <grin>.

There are always going to be people who buy at an unfortunate times, whether it's just before a store starts a promotion, just before a new model of their car is released or just before a model of camera is released. Sorry, but that's just the way things works. I would guess that the number of people who bought an M8.2 _purely_ for the delayed shutter re-loading is very, very small. For most of us with an M8 it's a 'nice to have' rather than an essential. I imagine it's the same for people buying the M8.2

..... I bought a WATE but now Leica introduces a 18mm Elmar which seems a better, less expensive, easier to use lens. If only I had known, I would have waited. And so it goes on.

Less expensive, yes. Better? I think it will be hard to see the difference.

Had my M8 upgraded with new shutter and framelines:). Sure, it cost a bit of money, but I'm happy with the results. Upgrading is not the same as buying a brand new camera. That would make me happy too. Wow everything new, new, new.... :D That's what I get when I buy new... As mentioned by others, new technology or new functionality only lasts as long as it is not duplicated elsewhere. I'm sure, I'm not the only one to have bought something only to see it replaced by a newer product just a few weeks or months after we bought the old one.

The customary life cycle of a digital camera is rather short. However, Leica managed to advise that their M8 would be upgradeable.

What did they mean by that? I don't know, however, their willingness to upgrade selectively and at whatever time is up to them. If we don't like their business plan or product, we can all just go back to Nikon, Canon or Epson.

For those who have purchased an M8.2 for the delayed shutter. Fine that's what you got. Did Leica ever say it would never be put in as a firmware upgrade in the M8? If they did, then you've got a case. Otherwise, enjoy your brand new camera, while others including myself, click away with our 2 year old cameras!

Remember your new M8.2 is valued at much more than an upgraded M8.

Be happy, keep taking pictures!

Best

Rob

Well people (including me) moaned when Leica did not upgrade the M8 with the discreet shutter and they are moaning now that they have.

If you bought an M8.2 great, if you had waited you might have saved some money but then you would not have a new beautiful camera with new warranty. Everyone makes their decisions based on what is available at the time. I bought a WATE but now Leica introduces a 18mm Elmar which seems a better, less expensive, easier to use lens. If only I had known, I would have waited. And so it goes on.

Jeff

I'm one of those who bought an M8.2 because I wanted "discreet" mode. It worked for me as I sold one body for £2000 and got the M8.2. The total cost of upgrading my other body wasn't that much less than the cost of trade-in + new purchase. I was OK with that, though I was also vociferous in my criticism of Leica for blocking the upgrade to discreet mode on the original M8.

Now I'm doubly delighted as my upgraded M8 will have the other feature I really wanted (along with the new framelines and quieter shutter) and my combo is pretty well ideal for my purposes. It also means that for the moment I don't have to worry about sorting out my focusing problems with one of the bodies and the 75 - As I have discreet mode on both, all I have to do is to remember which body to use with long lenses (grip on one, not on the other is likely to be the answer to that one!)

No complaints!! ;)