Sign in to follow this  
dfarkas

M8 Firmware 2.004

Thanks David, guess they've nearly sold all the M8s <grin>.

You nailed it Steve.

So the next question is... what else is announced on March 3?

What is the advantage of discreet advance??? Thanks for all.

It will stop a whole bunch of guys on this forum from whining....

What is the advantage of discreet advance??? Thanks for all.

It's quieter. Rather than the Kerr Chug (which isn't really that loud), you get the Kerr when you press the shutter, and the Chug when you lift your finger off the button - this could be a couple of seconds later or longer when you may have moved to a nosier environment, or away from the subject.

hamzaaytac, the advantage is that you only get the "click" when you take the picture, the wrrrrrr sound come when you release the shutter. this mean you can take a picture and wait until a noisy moment to release the shutter button. it is very effective in masking the camera noise at events..

Personally I would love to have a option for the EV comp to be directly assigned to the control wheel.. no half-press required, just dial the wheel to change compensation... it could be a selectable option for 2.005

So is this the 'wait for it' no need to get an M8.2 because the M8 will have the discreet mode?

As someone else noted Leica must at last be out of M8s.

This is good news, cant wait to try it.

Jeff

And I was just contemplating trading in both of my M8's for an M8.2 just for the discreet mode. Man, I'm jumping up and down here. A big two thumbs up to Leica for protecting our investment. Now, if we could upgrade to a new sensor.....

Silent mode on March 3 .... very cool!!! I'm going to cover a PhD ceremony on March 4. New firmware will be downloaded right away ...

Cheers,

Norbert

This may be a stupid question about loading firmware upgrades, but I recently acquired a second M8 body. Can I use the same SD card to upload the firmware upgrade to both my M8 bodies? Please help. Thanks, Russell

Can I use the same SD card to upload the firmware upgrade to both my M8 bodies?

I can't see why not. The body doesn't know that the card's been used to update a different body.

The only problem I can think of is if you are using an SDHC card and one of the bodies have firmware prior to v2.

If I remember correctly the camera wipes the FW file from the SD card after the update. So you will need to write the update file again to the card to use it in a second camera,

Jeff

what site do i need to go to, to download it if its not on the US site?

I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY IT!

Edited by underground

Jeff, I don't have WinZip on my computer, I send a SD(notSDHC) card toLeica NJ and they send me my card back to upload upgrades. I will call Dave Elwell on Monday, March 2 and ask him about this. If you are correct, I will have to send 2 SD cards every time I need to do these upgrades. Both cameras have the current firmware version.Russell

Jeff, I don't have WinZip on my computerl

Since you obviously have some kind of internet connection, why not just install the relevant utility on your Mac or PC - in fact I think both can decompress zipped files without 3rd party software.