Sign in to follow this  
dfarkas

M8 Firmware 2.004

Sfokevin, Interesting way to describe the shutter actuation of the M8 before and after. BTW, Speaking of "cloaking" the M8 shutter, has anyone found that missing Klingon battle cruiser in San Francisco Bay? (Star Trek 4 movie) Russell

It has been spotted... I believe the DOD is trying to unload it on eBay to make ends meet

http://i.gizmodo.com/5160038/always-wanted-a-stealth-boat-the-navy-is-giving-this-one-away

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/misc/seashadow/seashadow02.jpg&key=332a0a10f3e3f7f5e19ac239bf5b2f702904232023e40577d7fa45acb0f4ae43">

Edited by sfokevin

Does anybody know of a free download to successfully unzip these files?

I use WinRar. Google to find it. It's not free, either, but in fact you can use it forever if you are determined and simply click away the reminder that you should eventually pay them a small amount. It unzips .zip or g-zipped files from the Linux world, produces them, and has its own compressed .rar format which is a little smaller than the others. In fact I bought a license from them, but can't find it and have moved on to another computer, so I just ignore tha payme box.

scott

Really?

It’s different. Canon’s discrete modus means a slower recocking with a significant quieter sound. However you can not determine the moment of recocking. Both methods have their merits.

Best

Holger

I'm late to this thread but..... Wow! Unlike the doomsayers I've been pleased with each new firmware release, as each one has given me more value for my M8.

My only comment is that I'm not sure now that I would ever think of buying a M8.2 so from a marketing point of view this firmware release is either a highly philanthropic gesture or something better is about to appear on the horizon.

LouisB

Of course you can determine it in Canon, just hold the button and release when you need:)

Sorry-I mixed it up with the functionality of one of the former film SLRS, maybe EOS3, I once had.

Best

Holger

... so from a marketing point of view this firmware release is either a highly philanthropic gesture or something better is about to appear on the horizon.

LouisB

That is a very good point, Louis. Maybe in a few month's time, all this will be moot.

I'm late to this thread but..... Wow! Unlike the doomsayers I've been pleased with each new firmware release, as each one has given me more value for my M8.

My only comment is that I'm not sure now that I would ever think of buying a M8.2 so from a marketing point of view this firmware release is either a highly philanthropic gesture or something better is about to appear on the horizon.

LouisB

Yep, I think there will cease to be a vanilla M8, the M8.2 will become the entry level digital M, and there will be a lovely FF M9 to bleed our wallets dry and push some used M8's out onto the market.

Very pleased to learn they are going to revise that awful marketing decision at Solms re the availability of the discreet mode to M8 bodies. This removes a lot of disappointments from early M8 buyers for being treated as 'second class' customers and brings back much credibility to the company's reputation, IMO.

Thank you, Leica!

H.

I'm SO pleased I upgraded one of my M8s as it came to the end of warranty. With the firmware upgrade (assuming that this isn't BS) I'll have matched cameras (framelines / shutter / quiet operation) which suit my style perfectly. VERY interestingly, those of you who held out will get the advantage of the quiet shutter advance + the higher flash sync and higher top shutter speed of the original M8.

Kudos to Leica for doing this (though coals of fire will fall on David's head if this is an early April Fool hoax!!).

BTW - for those of you who've not experienced it, what Discreet gives you is the equivalent of an M7 for silent shutter release with the option to tuck the camera out of the way (under a jacket etc) to go through the business of re-cocking the shutter). Trust me - it works. I was doing a concert shoot just after I got the M8.2 and the only camera (out of 5D / M8 M8.2) the BBC were willing to accept for using during recording was the M8.2.

Hooray

Darn! - and I lose my high-speed internet today (Feb. 28 - newspaper finally folded - cleaning out my desk now!)

Let's see - at 9 minutes per megabyte download time.......

Anyone want to help a leisure-class (i.e. unemployed, freelance, whatever) photographer by sending a 2.004 CARE package on a CD? (PM me)

Awfully sorry to hear that.

Teddy

Cool, finally.

However, nobody seem to notice that Leica waited for M8.2 sales to decline, and once they decided that the "discreet mode" allure was over they finally did what they should have done in the first place: give the update to the old M8s as well. Not too honest IMHO, but that's the way it is.

I keep not liking the business model & marketing strategy, I keep being happy to be using only film Ms, but I am very happy for those who hang to their first generation M8s and didn't let themselves fall into the M8.2 rip-off.

Hi, it seems you make some confusions about the delay mode and the new shutter...

I keep being happy to be using only film Ms, but I am very happy for those who hang to their first generation M8s and didn't let themselves fall into the M8.2 rip-off.
... anyway, it's because you don't know the digital M8.

But let yourself simply "rip-off" with a M8 or even a M8.2, and you'll see the world with another eye. Maybe a more objective one ?

I upgraded one M8 (the oldest one) at the old price and kept one M8 as it is, as I want to have one camera with the 1/8000th max shutter speed for use in good light at 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4

As Christ pointed out, this makes me a very happy person, as I now will have all the options I care for (I don't want or need the "S" function).

I agree with Mark that the fuss about Leica not keeping promises can be put to rest.

Teddy

That's great news...and I just put my M8 in the mail about six hours ago to get the upgrade...do they upgrade the software while its in the shop? It'll be easy enough to do here if not...

I had the upgrades and installation of the latest firmware is listed on the work scheduled as is clean and adjust rangefinder etc.

This is very good news!

I have a discrete mode on my 1DsIII and makes a lot of difference. The camera rids itself of this press photographer 'whirl' and sounds more like a M6/7. Sure, one have to lift the finger and let the shutter re-cock, but to get these two sequences split up means a lot for the total sound 'track'. This is a vast improvement. I had no idea that it could be done with a firmware up date.

This silent mode is particularly useful when photographing wildlife with the 1DsIII, but I use discrete mode on my 1DsIII as a standard setting most of the time. The M8 is far more discrete than the 1DsIII. With this discrete mode the M8 will be even better. Very good!

... As Christ pointed out, ...

Really? Jesus has a M8, Teddy?? Does he speak to you about it often?

Pete.