Need Bag advice

vicaf

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just received my Artisan & Artist 7000 , quite a nice bag - although a tight fit for all that I normally carry . Great for the Leica , not so good for my Canons - but then I have a closet full of bags for them.

Perhaps I need to have a bags sale , otherwise they will soon outnumber my equipment.

cheers

This bag looks interesting and seems to be what the OP specified. Two questions:

1) The dividers look adequate to keep two adjacent lenses from scratching each other, but do two adjacent lenses bump each other and make a sound while walking?

2) Do you use this bag with the flap open and tucked down next to your body if you think you will need to change lenses quickly? (I'm wondering how much the bag gaps open when you do this.)

Mark

Curt already answered, but...

1) The dividers are far enough apart that lenses don't get close to each other. No noises emanate from the bag so long as I keep furry creatures out of it.

2) I don't use a bag that way, so I tested it. Even loaded with my normal everyday kit of an M6 with RW and mounted 35 Cron ASPH, a 90 Elmar-C, a Digiflash and a half dozen rolls of film I get no gape when it's open.

A few more comments about the BBB:

* The strap is a perfect length, long enough for me to wear across my chest at maximum extension. I'm a big guy with a barrel chest, so that says a lot!

* The interior pockets will easily accommodate an M body with a lens mounted. My M6, Rapidwinder and 35 Cron ASPH with hood mounted will actually fit in a pocket with no strain.

I'm a long-time Domke user, having bought my first from Jim when he as still moonlighting as a bagman. I've also used a number of original Leica canvas bags over the years, and still have one. I'm a bit of a bag junkie. With that as my background, I like this bag better than *every other bag* I've ever used for a two to three lens M kit.

I hate to encourage bag buying, but I noticed on the BBB website that he has offered a free Y-strap with the purchase of a bag. As of January, 2009, this offer was still good. The BBB is made by Courierware. I've got two of their bags, and I can vouch for their products. The Y-strap is pretty cool, too.

Steve

I have a very small, very cheap and inconspicuous Case Logic bag that takes (just, which is what you want) the camera in a Leicatime case, with the 28mm asph elmarit with the hood in place, a spare battery, a couple of filters and cards, and in its front pocket, the 90 mm f2.8 elmarit. The f1.2 Summilus also just fits with the hood reversed, not at the same time as the 28mm of course..

This covers pretty much any thing normally expectable. I have used it for over a year, and the zips still work, sand and rain and light spray stays out, and the camera is rapidly accessible.

I use the Hadley Digital. Works great. Holds M8 with 28 cron, 50 Lux ASPH, CV 15, and 90 Elmar-C. The front pocket holds extra battery, cards and the Leica table-top tripod.

Cheers, -Peter

It came today! And I can say without a doubt that it met my expectations! High quality, fits my M8 with 50mm 1.4 mounted and room for my Metz 54. If you wish to carry more than this, I would strongly recommend the next larger size, as that's pretty much it for this bag, which is exactly what I needed anyway.

I have about 5 bags for Leica gear. I use really small ones, a little bigger but no big ones and NO show stopper / leather / pricey bags. All the bags are low key. My favorites are the F-5XA, F-5XB, F-803 and now F-3X.

I wanted a really ratty bag for some missions, one that would hold two M bodies with a 50 1.4 & 35 1.4 attached and a slot for my 28 Summicron and or 15 Heliar.

So I washed the *old* Domke F-3X, put gaffers tape around the unraveling shoulder strap and used a beer cozy to put a bottom in an otherwise bottomless lens slot to prevent my M lenses from escaping to other parts of the bag while on rough trips.

I like it. I will get it dirty again and it will be perfect.

The only thing I might do is to have two or three small and coated steel cables sewn into the length of the shoulder strap to help prevent thieves from cutting the strap and running, a common practice in some countries. I have a friend who does industrial sewing work so we will replace both the gaffers tape with pack cloth and attempt to sew the cables in at the same time. Getting the cables through the adjustment might prove tough.

I will carry this bag like I do all my Leica bags, in satchel position so it is even safer and easy to get gear in and out, but the cables, if I can get them installed, should give me extra piece of mind for those types of thieves.

I would rather prevent theft than file another insurance claim for stolen gear....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by KM-25

It came today! And I can say without a doubt that it met my expectations! High quality, fits my M8 with 50mm 1.4 mounted and room for my Metz 54. If you wish to carry more than this, I would strongly recommend the next larger size, as that's pretty much it for this bag, which is exactly what I needed anyway.

I use the Hadley Digital with the M8.2, 75 Summarit, 35 Summarit and 24 Elmar. Two lenses go each side in the compartments under the flaps and the camera goes in lens down. Fits perfectly and room for other things, such as cloths, brushes, and filters in the front pocket.

I also have the Billingham Alice but find the HD smaller and a more secure fit for the equipment. However, my lenses are smaller diameter than the Summilux lenses so not sure if the HD would be right for larger diameter lenses.

Simon

I have about 5 bags for Leica gear. I use really small ones, a little bigger but no big ones and NO show stopper / leather / pricey bags. All the bags are low key. My favorites are the F-5XA, F-5XB, F-803 and now F-3X.....
Best bag I've yet seen on this board! :) I too am a big Domke fan, I use an F-803 clone, F-802 clone, F-2, F1-X and an Armadillo backpack. A bit larger than yours but I also have a dSLR and MF. For trips I rely on the F-803 clone and the F-2 which is now 17 years old and looks in better shape than your F-3X, so I don't know how old that guy is! :p I don't like the fancy bags but I do have a couple of fairly big ones, the F-1X is really for transportation and the Armadillo is because I use a Fotoman 617 panoramic and it won't go into an F-803...

I wanted a really ratty bag for some missions, one that would hold two M bodies with a 50 1.4 & 35 1.4 attached and a slot for my 28 Summicron and or 15 Heliar. So I washed the *old* Domke F-3X, put gaffers tape around the unraveling shoulder strap and used a beer cozy to put a bottom in an otherwise bottomless lens slot to prevent my M lenses from escaping to other parts of the bag while on rough trips.

I like it. I will get it dirty again and it will be perfect..

That bag is so ugly that it's cool! :cool: I think I might try that. ;)

Does anyone carry other things?

I find a dedicated camera bag, while a tad lighter, seems limiting; just my opinion.

There are a few backpacks out there that have an open top compartment. I usually just stick my Domkey F5Xa inside another backpack for travel. I tried inserts inside another backpack but they moved about a bit.

The best bag I've ever had was a gun bag. It looked like a big Hadley but not so fancy. It held two cameras, 3 or 4 lenses etc and a jacket or sweater, dry socks etc. My daughter took one look at it and that was the last I ever saw of it.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between a waterproof Rover Dry Zone or a smaller Pelican case inside a backpack as an accessory for my floating economic depression bomb shelter. If things get much worse, I'm out of here...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!