Need Bag advice

vicaf

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recommend the small Billingham Hadley. It can easily hold a m8 with attached lens and two others lenses. In fact right now, I am on a road trip in Seoul and have tucked into the bag my M8.2 and attached Cron 35mm and M8 with Noctilux. Easy fit. Leo

Vicaf: I use an Artisian&Artist bag: "Penn's Pad and Pencil Satchel."

It's a small canvas bag that is well made. I like that the strap is *sewn* onto the sides of the bag (but it is adjustable for length) so there is no metal hardware to scratch/clank around. (I don't ever remove the strap, anyway.)

It's a perfect size, feel, and look for me.

It holds *just* enough for what I should be taking with me. Not my whole kit, but more than enough kit.

(I used to use a Freitag F41 Hawaii Five-O CHF120 but my laptop has claimed that bag permanently.)

Here's how I pack the Satchel:

Zippered pocket

---------------

* Spare battery

* Grey card

* 1.25x Magnifier case

* Cleaning cloth

* External viewfinder (for 15mm or 21mm)

* E39-size 093 InfraRed Filter

Open back pocket

---------------

Leave empty, but put things in it during the day like papers, tickets, a small book, etc.

Inside (three slots)

--------------

* Left (made slim): 90mm Summicron Type II

* Middle (made wide): M8 mounted with 50mm or 35mm Summicron

* Right (made slim): 15mm or 21mm CV *and stacked on top of that* 35mm or 50mm Summicron (whichever isn't mounted on M8)

Note: Once the M8 comes out of the bag, I use the middle slot to hold the 35mm or 50mm Summicron so I can easily swap lenses on the M8.

Note 2: I've also configured the bag to hold the M6 + 50mm Elmarit-M (collapsed) and M8 + 35mm Summicron with room left over for either the 90mm Summicron OR 15mm and 21mm CV (stacked)

Artisan&Artist* Bags - BTW, the photos on their site make the bag look "nylonish." In reality the bag is a nice, semi-crumply canvas that is dark and has just a tad of texture--it doesn't "shine" like that.

Thanks,

Will

Edited by wstotler

It won't win you any fashion contests, but the lowepro slingshot is the most practical bag I've found for my M8 and a few lenses. It comes in a few sizes and I have the smallest one (the 100AW I believe). It is great because:

o You wear it like a messenger bag which is more comfortable and natural than a traditional over the shoulder bag.

o When you want to put gear in or out you simply swing it under your arm-- you don't have to remove it like a traditional backpack.

o The small size really is quite small but adequate for a couple of M bodies and a few lenses.

o It has a couple of nice extra pockets that can hold your phone, wallet, etc.

David

I can highly recommend the "Bare Bones Bag" from BBB The Figital Revolution - it's extremely well made and a perfect match for an M and two to three lenses plus accessories.

This bag looks interesting and seems to be what the OP specified. Two questions:

1) The dividers look adequate to keep two adjacent lenses from scratching each other, but do two adjacent lenses bump each other and make a sound while walking?

2) Do you use this bag with the flap open and tucked down next to your body if you think you will need to change lenses quickly? (I'm wondering how much the bag gaps open when you do this.)

Mark

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It won't win you any fashion contests, but the lowepro slingshot is the most practical bag I've found for my M8 and a few lenses. It comes in a few sizes and I have the smallest one (the 100AW I believe)....

David

This looks like a good suggestion in addition to the BBB. I'm going to check this one out too.

Mark

This bag looks interesting and seems to be what the OP specified. Two questions:

1) The dividers look adequate to keep two adjacent lenses from scratching each other, but do two adjacent lenses bump each other and make a sound while walking?

2) Do you use this bag with the flap open and tucked down next to your body if you think you will need to change lenses quickly? (I'm wondering how much the bag gaps open when you do this.)

Mark

I have the Bare Bones bag, and as one who has bought too many bags over the years, I can say this is my favorite so far. In answer to your questions:

1) the dividers are not padded, but are thick enough to prevent the lenses from scratching each other. I don't hear anything knocking around while walking. The bag comfortably holds body and lens, plus two more lenses. I sometimes carry a fourth lens, but it gets tight.

2) I don't carry it with the flap open. It's quick enough to open and close otherwise.

I love it because its small, and without a lot of padding (just on the bottom), it tucks in closer to my body than any other bag I've tried.

I just came back from a week's vacation carrying the following in this bag: M8, 28 Cron, 50 Lux, CV 15 + Finder, 90 Elmarit, three batteries, Polarizer + finder, Lens Pen, Canon G9, iPod. All fit, barely. Took one fall on a muddy slope, landed on the bag: hurt my side, muddied the bag, but the gear was fine. Probably as much a testament to the Leica build quality as to the bag.

Edited by cdgerston

It won't win you any fashion contests, but the lowepro slingshot is the most practical bag I've found for my M8 and a few lenses. It comes in a few sizes and I have the smallest one (the 100AW I believe). It is great because:

o You wear it like a messenger bag which is more comfortable and natural than a traditional over the shoulder bag.

o When you want to put gear in or out you simply swing it under your arm-- you don't have to remove it like a traditional backpack.

o The small size really is quite small but adequate for a couple of M bodies and a few lenses.

o It has a couple of nice extra pockets that can hold your phone, wallet, etc.

David

One minor point... the ones I have seen are worse than useless if you are left-handed...

Regards,

Bill

I use a Domke F5xB canvas bag to carry a M8 with 28/2 or 35/ 2.0 lens attached along with a Noctilux and the Leica sf24 flash. Has a pocket for extra battery, cards etc. Comfortable to carry and reasonable price.

Domke | F-5XB Shoulder/Belt Bag (Black) | 700-52B | B&H Photo

+2:)

I use the Hadley Digital. Works great. Holds M8 with 28 cron, 50 Lux ASPH, CV 15, and 90 Elmar-C. The front pocket holds extra battery, cards and the Leica table-top tripod.

Cheers, -Peter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Domke | F-8 Small Canvas Shoulder Bag (Olive) | 700-80D | B&H

I LOVE THIS BAG.

i can fit an M8 with two lenses (in protective neoprene snap pouches), an extra battery, memory cards and a few other gadgets. i have also carried the M8 with a lens and the M6 with a lens inside the bag.

it's so low-profile and under the radar. it's also a hearty, water-resistant, and quite stylish accessory.

I've used a Billingham Hadley Pro bag for years.

To me the handle on top was always a big draw.

Can be carried on shoulder or by the handle like a briefcase.

Extremely comfortable, seems to mold to your hip, I've had Black, Khaki and now most recently bought the Sage green one.

I hold an M8, Metz 54, and 3-4 lenses easily with some room in the front pockets for odds and ends and a map or notebook in the back zippered section....

M Billingham and Co Hadley Pro

I've also used the Domke F803 for years. My last one in fact lasted 10 years, so I finally got a new one recently. It's discreet, light, great for leicas but it will also hold small slrs, and it's affordable

When I got back into RFs 10 years ago I picked up a black F-803. Several months ago I picked up a green one. While the black bag is pretty discrete, the green one looks like it might have come from and army surplus store - or is fake army surplus. Neither bag really screams "camera".

As for capacity, I regularly carry the M8 and 6 lenses in the bag. I use to of the double-cell inserts and only have the camera in the bag with the lens off (personal habit from over 40 years shooting).

The lenses have double-ended caps so two fit into a cell. Typically they are paired 12/18, 25/35, 50/75. I also carry a Sekonic L-308S meter, batteries, SD cards, viewfinders, etc. The back flat pocket is good for maps, and I often attach a belt pouch for a SureFire flashlight to the bag.

One thing about Timbuk2 bags...While the fabrics may be waterproof, the flaps may leave gaps. I have a custom Timbuk2 messenger/book bag that I bought, oddly enough, to carry books in. I decided not to set it up as a camera bag.

Greetings:

I am looking for a bag to house my M8.2 with a 28 Summicron attached, and in addition room for at least one and at the most 2 lenses to use on day trips . I need your advice on a bag that meets these criteria, can shield my equipment from the elements, and is comfortable and practical. I do not need leather, for I am looking for a low key bag to not announce its precious cargo to others. Your advice on this matter is much appreciated.

Thank you,

Vic

I have the L2 Billingham. I carry an M8 (with lens mounted) and an M6TTL (no lens) and two other lenses. If you get the black bag it is fairly low key.