Need Bag advice

vicaf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My kit comprises M8.2 + 28 Summicron generally attached, 21 Elmarit and 75 Summicron and I usually carry the SF24 just in case.

I like to carry my camera lens down so I alternate between a Think Tank Urban Disguise 20 and the Billingham leica M bag. I appreciate that the M bag is twice the price of the L2 which I still have and used to use but I much prefer the layout in the M bag - and lets be honest we've all paid a lot for our kit so I feel the extra £100 on the M bag over the L2 is more than justified!

I tend to use the Urban Disguise on city breaks so that on those occasions you have to check your bag in at musuems and galleries you have the advantage of being able to lock the main compartment.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like to carry my camera lens down so I alternate between a Think Tank Urban Disguise 20 and the Billingham leica M bag. I appreciate that the M bag is twice the price of the L2 which I still have and used to use but I much prefer the layout in the M bag - and lets be honest we've all paid a lot for our kit so I feel the extra £100 on the M bag over the L2 is more than justified!

Can you buy the M bag without buying the safari Kit?

On their site it's not listed, only the usual Hadleys.

Greetings:

Well, I am the OP who started this whole thread - I have thoroughly enjoyed the suggestions and the conversation. Based on my wish for a low key bag, I eliminated the Billingham bags, even though I think they are magnificent ( I own a Billingham knapsack for a DSLR kit ). I went to New York and looked at the Artisan and Artists bags, but they are very expensive for what they offer, and the model that I would have bought, the 7200 ( one M body and two lenses) looked like a woman's pocketbook. So, I then looked at the Domke F5xa and the F5xb, and bought them both in black. The Fx5a is for one camera and one lens, and the Fx5b will do one camera and two lenses. Both are inconspicuous and quite well put together. I did look at the Bare Bones Bag for packing my whole M8.2 kit with 4 lenses for travel, but I didn't feel comfortable with the lack of padding for plane travel. However, the maker of the BBB, Courier bags, also makes their own custom camera bags, and can be ordered through their web site - courierbags.com. It is roughly the same size as the BBB, but comes with better padding, and, as mentioned, can be completely customized to your taste. I also appreciated the suggestion of buying small Zipp neoprene lens bags, which make more sense than carrying around those beautiful but bulky Leica leather lens cases. So, once again, thanks for all your help, and I will continue to monitor and enjoy this camera bag conversation.

Best regards,

Vic

Does anyone carry other things?

I find a dedicated camera bag, while a tad lighter, seems limiting; just my opinion.

I have about 9 camera bags, two photo dedicated backpacks and at *least* a dozen pro mountaineering, ski, patrol packs that are retro fitted for some but not a lot of camera equipment. I also have three different sized Pelican cases for raft and other water trips.

So yes, I find camera specific bags limiting too, that is why I have at least 40 ways to carry my gear....:-)

One thing I've found with my Billingham Hadley Pro. The padded insert is removable, and because it is just over A4 size - it fits inside a remarkable number of other branded satchels.

I bought a cheap canvas satchel in Bangkok a few weeks ago, fake Diesel I think, which fits the hadley insert perfectly and looks very 'downmarket'. I also used to put the insert inside a Pacsafe satchel, citysafe 500 I think it was.

That bag is so ugly that it's cool! :cool: I think I might try that. ;)

I think it will work well in the places I have planned to use it in but might actually get more attention than I care for in the well heeled environments, so in those cases, I would go back to the F-803.

In using this bag, I just had to do something about the cameras rubbing up against each other, no sense in that kind of wear if it is avoidable.

So I cut off the lens slot that I was not using and used 6 grommets to relocate it in the center. I made sure that the velcro was facing each other in case I wanted to change up the use of the bag, which is not likely.

So after getting the panel moved, I used gaffers tape to keep the fray sealed and all was done.

What I like about this bag is that it is so pliable it just sets down on the gear instead of being bulky. If I were using a medium sized pack to go hostel-international style, I could throw this bag in the pack and have it take up less room than a stiff new camera bag or satchel.

Either way, I really like it now that I have done this mod...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by KM-25

Hi-

I too have been looking for a new bag. I have liked the Domke 803 and 802. With the 803 I carried 2 M-6's each with a 50 Summicron and then a 90, 2.8 and 35 Summicron linked together. All fit well using a Domke 3 compartment insert. The front pockets carried enough film for a day.

Later, I used an 802 which also allowed room for the above and an R 4 and 6.2. Things were tight and not particulary well padded but it worked.

I was considering a Hadely (large or pro) but not sure either will give me an advantage over the 802.I will be using 2 M-6's each with the 50 and an M8 with a 28, 2.8. I also will carry the 35, 90 and a 75 1.4. It all works pretty good now, perhaps a new insert will do the trick.

BTW, my 50's are the old style without retracting lens hoods. I've found I can have the hoods attached and using a Nikon 52mm lens cap they do fit in the 802 front pockets and padded inset. The front pockets are unpadded but fine while shooting. Domke also makes pouches which can attach to the bags.

Best,

These bags are quite upmarket (mostly found at Barneys and small shops) but actually aren't that expensive and really well made. I got the oil cloth Rowan messenger bag in black and it was around $145. I put a Tenba satchel insert it (Hadley pro would work as well).

Anyway, nice stuff that can be multi purpose. Through a friend in the clothing biz he mentioned to them I have one of their bags so they are going to give me another. I picked out the Tom's work bag - perfect for diapers and an M8!

property

I forgot to mention this in my earlier posting...

A few months ago (after owning both for years), I found out that the Domke F-803 fits very nicely in a Pelican 1450 case. (This was a Homer Simpson moment for me.) There is a little extra room, so that's where I pack a tabletop tripod, what balance card, rolls of $20 bills, etc.

That's how I generally transport the camera now, since I can swing that Pelican into the overhead bin with no worries, or pack it in the car, or whatever.

And since we all have to watch our weight when traveling by air (individual bag weight restrictions), I suppose I could keep the camera bag on my shoulder, and use the Pelican as a checked bag to bring back loot from foreign trips, books from Powell's (next trip to Portland), etc.