Help for glass mounted slides

dritz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My anti-newton(AN) glass mounts for medium format have the AN glass between the film and the lamp, and clear glass between the film and the lens. You get flatness ad sharpness, yes?

Well, all of the AN mounts mounts for 35mm have AN glass on BOTH sides of the film. Why is that? Sure, my projection was flat but it also lost subtle details. Just holding up one sheet of AN glass and looking through it, and you can see the loss.

Does anyone make a mount with AN glass + clear glass for 35MM? Why would it be different for 24x36mm than it is for 60x60mm?

Gepe makes a mount with AN glass on only one side, and no glass on the other. Any comments on this?

Also, any recommended mounting system (low volume, and want to minimize possible damage to my film). Thanks.

Dean

Seattle, Washington

Thank you for your response. By the way, in which direction does the film curve: towards the lamp, or towards the lens?

The Gepe website suggests it curves towards the lamp, in which case, having glass between the film and lamp would be useful. It is useless if it curves away from the glass, yes?

My Perocolor ones were made that way, on AN and one regular. These are aluminum covers I closed with a special clamp fixture. I suspect you will not find any.

One side glass should be way getter than none, but not quite perfect. No different than an enlarger.

AN glass needs to go against the smoth (backing) side of the film of course, no point in putting it against the emulsion side as newtons rings would only form between two smooth surfaces.

If the manufacturer suppiles AN glass for both sides it suggests they don't understand the problem they are trying to solve!

Gerry

Well, I think I have my solution. I can purchase Gepe mounts with AN glass on both sides (#6002). Then, purchase Gepe mounts with plain glass on both sides (#6001). The mounts are interchangeable (bother are 2.3mm), so I can just use one respective side of each and create my own mounts with AN glass where I want it, and plain glass where I want it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I think I have my solution. I can purchase Gepe mounts with AN glass on both sides (#6002). Then, purchase Gepe mounts with plain glass on both sides (#6001). The mounts are interchangeable (bother are 2.3mm), so I can just use one respective side of each and create my own mounts with AN glass where I want it, and plain glass where I want it.

Thats exactly what we used to recomend when we sold them in the 60s, I am amazed that GePe still sell them with two sheets of AN glass per mount.

Dont forget to get the right (matt) side against the film!

Gerry

Thats exactly what we used to recomend when we sold them in the 60s, I am amazed that GePe still sell them with two sheets of AN glass per mount.

Dont forget to get the right (matt) side against the film!

Gerry

Hi Just looked on the GEPE web site and they show 35mm slides with one glass, ie AN But how can I easily tell which side of the film is which to be sure I get the AN glass on the right side.:confused:

I have had slides printed the wrong way round before so there is a chance I could get them mounted in the slide wrong when I get them.

TomR:D

Hi TomR

Put the "shiny" side of the film against the AN glass. This is the backing side, referred to above. The other side of the film is matt, this is the emulsion side.

AN is "Anti Newton", actually anti Newton Rings, a phenomena created when two shiny surfaces come into contact, one of them not flat.

Press a piece of glass against the shiny side of a film to see the effect.

Newton's rings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John

Hi TomR

Put the "shiny" side of the film against the AN glass. This is the backing side, referred to above. The other side of the film is matt, this is the emulsion side.

AN is "Anti Newton", actually anti Newton Rings, a phenomena created when two shiny surfaces come into contact, one of them not flat.

Press a piece of glass against the shiny side of a film to see the effect.

Newton's rings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John

Hi John

Thanks for the info. I asked because though I'm aware of emulsions etc looking at the film under my light and my eyes its hard to see which is which easily. But looking at the film here I guess if the numbers and writing are the correct way then thats the shiny side:o And when looking at the emulsion side the numbers and writing are in a reverse order :o Does that sound right.

TomR:D