New shutter... first impression

Mauribix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shootist - the M8.1 appears to be crippled for some niche work I do when compared with the M8.2. Of course I use DSLR and M8 in concerts and theatre - you use all the tools that you can. It's just that the threshold of when it's acceptable to shoot is higher for these tools than it was for the M7. The M8 isn't crippled - it's just b****dy noisy. Sean Reid recommend going with the older Sony digicam for quiet work - but there were IQ issues I couldn't get over with that route.

OK - I could keep on shooting film if I wanted to keep things quiet? Not realistic.

What I want is an M that I can use from the front row or on set in those quieter moments. Fine - if I have to I'll pay for it and get an M8.2 to go alongside my upgraded M8.1. I'll earn it back with a few gigs. Call me a cheapskate if you like (though I prefer to see myself as someone who doesn't like to waste resources) - I'd just rather have been able to upgrade the M8.1 to the acoustic standard I need (new shutter AND "discrete" mode).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maurizio - no news on this. I'll update the list as soon as I have information. In the meantimg Fedex tells me that my M8 is at Solms - but no reponses from them re repair schedule and shortest update times...

Heigh ho - at least I still have one working body and am still enjoying auto ISO... This one taken today during a workshop I'm documenting. I would never have chosen 1250 for this - but it's dead on for the shot. 50 pre-asph lux @ f2.8. Shutter @ 1/90th kept it sharp.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yep Chris, thanks for the info I will look forward to see your news.

Anyway I can say that I really enjoy the new AutoISO too.

I've found myself shooting higher iso since a long period till now, but that new feature really pushed me to use even more higher iso.

I remember Jaap almost 18months ago demonstrating with a shot that 1250iso could have been just good with the correct exposure(low noise, and the shot had some boats at night, just for the record), so in the last period I concentrated myself on perfectioning my exposure.

With the stability given by the new shutter then, I can safely say that I can still do my work with excellent results, with a 2years-old camera. That's nice for me.

And my prints are always excellent in terms of IQ, and that's what matter for me most of the times.

Last week I did an exposition here in Turin, and I found myself with two prints @ 2500iso: unbelievable quality indeed, no one of the "low-noise club" could believe that looking at those shots.:p