Sign in to follow this  
Mauribix

New shutter... first impression

Advertisement (gone after registration)

buy an ND filter!, personally speaking I have never found the shutter speeds on my M7 much of a limitation....

Interestingly I have really become spoiled by the faster shutter speeds after using my M8s so extensively for nearly two years now. The 1/1000 limitation is the one and only thing that annoys me a bit when I use my M7 or M5.

As fir the ND filters, I prefer to not have to juggle filters when I can avoid it. I already have the I/R filters on most of the time.

All that said I still enjoyed shooting some Kodachrome this weekend using the nice quiet M7

Kent

Guest DuquesneG

I thought the upgrades weren't starting to be available until Oct 1st

As much as I love the new Nikons for a host of reasons, the shutter sound of my new d3 is ridiculously loud (and high pitched), even compared with my "classic" M8

Funny, I don't find the D3 to be that bad. In some ways I find it more whispery than the M8. Less prolonged as well. But then again I use it for different purposes. Maybe it's from shooting film Nikons for many years - it's definitely quieter than those.

My quietest cameras - Leica M7, Mamiya 6/7 and Rolleiflex TLR.

My wife has commented a few times on the clunky sound of the M8. Good excuse for an upgrade....?

Funny, I don't find the D3 to be that bad. In some ways I find it more whispery than the M8. .

I presume you only ever use your D3 in live view mode!!!

Great news on the shutter sound, it sounds like there is both an aesthetic and functional vibration improvement there. The one thing holding me back from packing mine up yet is the top shutter speed decrease, I really have enjoyed cranking open lenses in full daylight.

A little more thought is required on my part before my M8 makes the trip. If there is really a low light advantage in stability, that might do the trick.

Anyone else having this same mini-dilemma?

Kent

I had the dilemma too, but then again I'm used to ND filters, and even 1/8000 wasn't frequently enough during the day at F/1.4.

In August (California+Arizona) I used some ND-8 filters as well with my summiluxes.

I have owned the M8 for a week (addition to the R-D1) and took it today for a walk at the flea market in a sunny Paris day. Out of the 60 shots I took, 7 were over 1/4000 so would have been over-exposed with the new shutter. And out of the 60 shots, only one person noticed the sound of the shutter. It is for me a big improvement over the 'cling' of the R-D1, noise is longer, yet people don't assimilated it to a camera, I had more reaction to the R-D1.

So my first reaction would be not to go for the shutter improvement as I like to shoot wide open and don't do meeting shoots or churches. For street pictures, I think the noise of the shutter is a non issue.

Maurizio,

how does your shutter speed wheel look now? Is there just a gap where the 8000 was, or is there the "S" for the idiot mode of the M8.2?

Maurizio,

how does your shutter speed wheel look now? Is there just a gap where the 8000 was, or is there the "S" for the idiot mode of the M8.2?

Wrong. See post below.

Hi Manfred,

the speed wheel has been changed, now it features an 8s setting in the "range of the long exposures", without the 8000 digit and no S mode as well.

As soon as I can, I post a picture.

ciao!

We paid for being the first to own a digital Leica rangefinder. I have been shooting with mine for almost two years now, and feel that it was worth every penny. I will probably upgrade the shutter and extend my warranty, and yes, it will be worth it to me. You could always wait and not buy a new product when it first comes on the market, and you will always save money. But the pictures I have taken with my M8 so far, and the joy it has given me have made my M8 one of the best investments ever.

Hi Manfred,

the speed wheel has been changed, now it features an 8s setting in the "range of the long exposures", without the 8000 digit and no S mode as well.

As soon as I can, I post a picture.

ciao!

Thank you! I think I will go for it, too.

Intriguing -- so the upgrade gives a new speed at the low end, which the M8.2 will not offer. It also means that the firmware changes have to deal with rotating the shutter dial one position and changing the meaning of all the little microswitches that Mark Norton uncovered when he took the top cover off. (Just a Small Matter Of Programming, I guess, but there is only one firmware version for all three models.)

I'll be interested in hearing the difference between an upgraded shutter and the M8.2 shutter in sound and vibration. I'm guessing here, but I would hope Leica would put all the mechanical engineering improvements that they have come up to increase reliability as well as to reduce vibration into a single upgraded component and use that component in both variants of the M8. Then the only engineering reason that I can think of for the different behavior is that the firmware that actually resides close to the M16 processor and operates the shutter was too big to fit on the previous card, and required an electronic component change, that isn't done in the upgraded units. I've also written to Mr. Daniel for some explanation.

scott

I had a chance to play with an M8.2 today at my London dealer and I have to admit to being impressed with the new shutter. I thought it was all hype but the new 8.2 shutter is noticeably quieter than the standard 8 shutter - much much more like the film M shutters of old. I was also quite taken with the new discreet mode. It works exactly as advertised and seems much less gimmicky than I expected it to be - would certainly be useful in some situations.

As for the rest, I'm not so sure. The black 'paint' finish is not the deep lustrous finish of the MP and actually looks a bit, dare I say it, cheap. As for frames, there is a clear difference in the frameline coverage and I suspect that I'd probably prefer the newer standard.

The £2K question: is it worth trading or selling an existing M8 and buying the M8.2? Personally speaking, no. The cameras have the same sensor, have the same fundamental issues (IR filters, etc.) and I just cannot see £2K of value in the shutter and frames - even taking into account 2 years of passport warranty. Like others, I might go for the new shutter (sans discreet mode) through the upgrade programme.

The £2K question: is it worth trading or selling an existing M8 and buying the M8.2? Personally speaking, no. The cameras have the same sensor, have the same fundamental issues (IR filters, etc.) and I just cannot see £2K of value in the shutter and frames - even taking into account 2 years of passport warranty. Like others, I might go for the new shutter (sans discreet mode) through the upgrade programme.

Ian - glad that the story on the new shutter continues to be encouraging - it reinforces my decision re the upgrade. Just a thought - given Leica's decision not to provide the discrete mode with the upgrade - do you feel that the M8 is still crippled as a theatre / concert / film set tool, or could it cut the mustard? If not, I may have to go for upgrade on one body and part exchange on my most recent one... what a bummer ...

Best

do you feel that the M8 is still crippled as a theatre / concert / film set tool, or could it cut the mustard? If not, I may have to go for upgrade on one body and part exchange on my most recent one... what a bummer ...

Best

Just why is a M8 any more crippled then any other camera in the market.

You can't tell me no one uses DSLR's to shoot at theaters or concerts or on a film set.

If that was true Leica would have a bigger market share.

Anyway the gratest advantage is the absence of repercussion, I can easly say that you may gain a full stop in low-light.

I

Many thanks for the report! I had my doubts about it, I'm already very satisfied with the M8-concept, But now, I'm sending it in for the upgrade (+ frame-lines). The absence of repercussion is not only winning a full stop in low-light, but it has also advantages for the higher speeds which will result in sharper images. I always hated the weight of my tripod .....

Albert

Aruba Photos - Aruba PhotoRefresh

Aruba Babysitting