New shutter... first impression

Mauribix

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as I love the new Nikons for a host of reasons, the shutter sound of my new d3 is ridiculously loud (and high pitched), even compared with my "classic" M8 :)

LOL, much as I have praised the D3 (great camera) the one thing I have never said is that it is quiet... On 9 fps, it's enough to wake the dead...

I was in a conference yesterday discussing the future role of nuclear power in Europe (summary: no alternative if we want to keep the lights on) and there was an idiot taking pictures with a Canon something or other and a 70-210. Noisy, distracting beast. I told him he should buy a Leica M8.2...

Good to hear about the Leica shutter, but I still want to hear Leica's response to Chris' letter about the dicreet mode in the M8u (thanks for the shorthand, I think it was Scot's innovation).

I’d like to add my experience I had yesterday comparing the sound of my own M8 with a new M8-2.

Friends - forget all the sounds of the M8 you may still have in your ears and forget nearly everything you have read about the new shutter: just LISTEN to it.

The new M8-2 is mind-blowing quiet, it is just whispering. Even without the new recock functionality it is really really nice (so Upgrade instead of buying the 8-2 is a rael option). It’s exactly what we have been dreaming of since we were disappionted with the ugly sound of the M8.

Will you believe me that the M 8-2 is even quieter than the M6? I have to admit however that the compared M6 was not loaded with a film, may be that makes a small difference.

I didn’t compare the sounds on the noisy Photokina but at my dealers store, no noise, just four people in the shop.

I hope you get the idea:)

jaap

i refer to the fact that we have to pay for it, something which has become, over the years, symbolic for Leica.That's all I am saying, would I have waited,probably not, but that doesn't change the essence of my remark.

andy

I agree absolutely, Leica have written plenty of marketing 'blah, blah' about it themselves that it was jaw dropping to see how wrong they initially got the M8 shutter. Still credit where its due, they seem to be doing a good job of recognising and responding.

I am more encouraged by what people are saying than I was by listening to the recordings as well.

what about compared to the M7 ?

isnt the m6 shutter the same as the M6 ?

Same shutter material (cloth), and, probably same or similar mechanics, but apparently the electronic control of the M7 contributes to a slight edge over the M6. Chasseur d' Images tested that a more than year ago and the difference was 1db (out of 56 db or so) less for the M7, if I remember well.

My M7's definitely quieter than my M6 - especially on slower exposures where there's no clockwork noise....

Maurizio - really heartened by your report - and Holger - thanks too. Leica offered me an upgrade in Week 43 (20th October)... Rather than having to courier it back to them after the repair they're doing, looks like I'll be working with the one body for the next few weeks. And hey - you never know, they might be offering the discrete mode by then!!

Mark - no reply back from Leica re a "white paper" - but I guess they deserve a weekend.

Best

I agree absolutely, Leica have written plenty of marketing 'blah, blah' about it themselves that it was jaw dropping to see how wrong they initially got the M8 shutter..

Yes, we bought trusting Leicas' history and ended up paying for their M8 mistakes. Now, after they finally fixed their mistakes, we have to pay(heavily) again for the quality we thought we originally purchased. It erases much of the prestige this company enjoyed in the past.

Great news on the shutter sound, it sounds like there is both an aesthetic and functional vibration improvement there. The one thing holding me back from packing mine up yet is the top shutter speed decrease, I really have enjoyed cranking open lenses in full daylight.

A little more thought is required on my part before my M8 makes the trip. If there is really a low light advantage in stability, that might do the trick.

Anyone else having this same mini-dilemma?

Kent

Now, after they finally fixed their mistakes, we have to pay(heavily) again for the quality we thought we originally purchased

No you don't. If you don't want to pay for the upgrades then you don't have to.

Presumably you when you bought the M8 you were aware of the issues with the camera - they'd been discussed at length on virtually every photo forum.

Yes, we bought trusting Leicas' history and ended up paying for their M8 mistakes. Now, after they finally fixed their mistakes, we have to pay(heavily) again for the quality we thought we originally purchased. It erases much of the prestige this company enjoyed in the past.

you mis-qoted me, I also said 'credit where its due'!

If you bought your M8 without trying one out, or reading any of the public domain comments, then more fool you.

Leica didnt mis-lead anyone about the original shutter noise, it was what it was (and in my camera still is), you always had the choice to not buy the camera.

Yes the shutter noise was a frustration for me, and the cost of fixing it now is also a frustration, but at least I have that choice.

Great news on the shutter sound, it sounds like there is both an aesthetic and functional vibration improvement there. The one thing holding me back from packing mine up yet is the top shutter speed decrease, I really have enjoyed cranking open lenses in full daylight.

A little more thought is required on my part before my M8 makes the trip. If there is really a low light advantage in stability, that might do the trick.

Anyone else having this same mini-dilemma?

Kent

buy an ND filter!, personally speaking I have never found the shutter speeds on my M7 much of a limitation....