Tele lenses

Annibale G.

Here I am again, I'm thinking about to buy a tele lenses, maybe the 90mm or the 75mm one, either f/2. What do you think about them? what do you suggest?

Depends on the format and VF magnification.

With a film M and 0.72x or higher mag. VF, both 75/2 and 90/2 are OK.

With a film M and 0.58x VF, the 90/2 is difficult to focus at full aperture; same with the M8.

What other lenses do you use on a regular basis? I have both the 75 and 90 ASPH lenses and love the 75. It goes very well with the 35mm as a pair. The 90 isn't so hot at the closer distances but is outstanding at medium & long distances. It is big, heavy and somehow awkward. The 75 is just excellent at everything. It is smaller than the 90 and has a sliding hood that actually locks! Below is a pic shot with the 75 on a 0.85x M7 that shows a close foreground and medium distance background. It is sharp but renders out of focus backgrounds well.

What other lenses do you use on a regular basis? I have both the 75 and 90 ASPH lenses and love the 75. It goes very well with the 35mm as a pair. The 90 isn't so hot at the closer distances but is outstanding at medium & long distances. It is big, heavy and somehow awkward. The 75 is just excellent at everything. It is smaller than the 90 and has a sliding hood that actually locks! Below is a pic shot with the 75 on a 0.85x M7 that shows a close foreground and medium distance background. It is sharp but renders out of focus backgrounds well.

Sorry Peter, just a question , as I'm going to buy a plane scanner , the image you post is a print scanned image ?or you scanned the negative?

Annibale

Well, the M version of the 90AA focusses up to 1m only while the 75 focusses up to 0.7m. The R version of the 90 also focusses to 0.7m making me happy :-)

Sorry Peter, just a question , as I'm going to buy a plane scanner , the image you post is a print scanned image ?or you scanned the negative?
Annibale this is a negative scan. I have an inexpensive Minolta film scanner that is excellent but I am not very good at scanning. :o The pic was taken on Ilford XP2 and developed at a local drug store (pharmacy). Hope this helps. :)

It was C41'd. Interesting you should ask as they did a very poor job on the processing. Some of it was extremely grainy, fingerprints on the negatives and the negatives were lying open on their bench when I went to pick up the film. I've had excellent processing in the store previously but this experience is driving me to process my own. I'm spending a lot of time in Photoshop's healing tool with this stuff. :(

but this experience is driving me to process my own. I'm spending a lot of time in Photoshop's healing tool with this stuff. :(

Peter, Is there a straightforward way to do C41 at home? I do quite low volume but would like to do a quality job rather than either wait 2-3 days for the real photo store or give it to the 1hr who-the-hell-cares people. And I really like XP2.

Oh, and very nice shot.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael. People do develop C-41 at home, there are a number of threads on both photo.net and the RFF. If you Google the following search strings:

site: photo.net C-41 at home

site:rangefinderforum.com C-41 at home

you'll find most of them. When you copy & paste the first one in, remove the space between the colon and the p. Those two characters together make an emoticon on this board.

I own and use both the 75mm and 90mm ASPH's on my 0.85 M7 &M6. The 75 is better for portraits as the depth of field is not a shallow close in as the 90. Either is a great modern lens that will serve you well. I would suggest the 75mm if contemplating doing some clsoe up/portrait work and the 90mm if just doing longer distances. Ideal world, have both!-Dick