M9, digital CL or R-D1 - advice please

plasticman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you have some time and can wait till 2009 then I would strictly recommend to wait for the M9- It is expected to be FF, but also have no longer need for the IR Filters, thus you can skip this stage of buying filters for your glass.

Where did you get this, Peter? The only things looking like this were Internet wish-lists. There is no discernable reason to think this will, or even can, happen in the near future. The only substance I have seen was a rumour, supported by one remark of Mr. Lee, about an M9 slotted below the M8, and maybe not even M8, but CL-dig....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where did you get this, Peter? The only things looking like this were Internet wish-lists. There is no discernable reason to think this will, or even can, happen in the near future. The only substance I have seen was a rumour, supported by one remark of Mr. Lee, about an M9 slotted below the M8, and maybe not even M8, but CL-dig....

I have this info from Leicashop Vienna, they have a great connection to Leica and the owners. I do not know more than there will be a M) which will be FF. And I guess they are working to present it at Photokina 2008.

And it makes great sense to do so.

BWAT - Buy What's Available Today.

If you spend your life waiting for unannounced products, you will never move forward.

The M8, for all intents and purposes is now a fully functional DRF. Most of it's early issues are gone, and guess what... It's just as quirky as other high priced digital cameras.

Even if a new DRF were to become available. Does it mean the M8 won't still be useful?

If you can make money with it, if you can justify the price - buy what you need today.

DBK

I have this info from Leicashop Vienna, they have a great connection to Leica and the owners.

If somewhere as cool and conservative as the Vienna Leica Shop is dropping hints, then the vapour is surely soon destined to take solid form - roll on Photokina.

I am vaguely concerned ... I have only just recovered from the shock of my investment in the M8. Have I got to stress my cardiovascular system once again so soon? (with me heart always rules head, but my heart just doesn't know what's good for it).

All preferences as to film vs digital aside, I find that I now need to add a digital camera to my film cameras once again, capable of using my M-mount lenses.

I hope this doesn't provoke a rain of abuse falling down on my head now, but I've decided against the M8 as the solution (no, I don't want to debate why).

Then why bother posting, and in the M8 forum to boot? Your choices are inane. There is NO M9 or CL. What you had some extra time on your hands and figured you'd stop by?

Your choices are Film M's and a scanner to get to the digital side.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am vaguely concerned ... I have only just recovered from the shock of my investment in the M8. Have I got to stress my cardiovascular system once again so soon? (with me heart always rules head, but my heart just doesn't know what's good for it).

Will your M8 stop taking pictures the moment the a new camera is announced? Not unless you drop it from a 5 story window.

Take a look sometime at photosig.com or one of the other sites where the photographers post their pictures. There are a lot of submissions where the camera and lens are old. Very old. They still seem to work.

If you like your M8 now, tomorrow you should still like it.

DBK

If you really need digital but dont want an M8 then why not a Nikon D300. You can pick up old Nikon primes for it for next to nothing and Im pretty sure the body will retain resale value for a while to come (probably even better than the M8). Digital is here to stay and will keep progressing - there will really be no perfect time to get into it.

Will your M8 stop taking pictures the moment the a new camera is announced? Not unless you drop it from a 5 story window.

Take a look sometime at photosig.com or one of the other sites where the photographers post their pictures. There are a lot of submissions where the camera and lens are old. Very old. They still seem to work.

If you like your M8 now, tomorrow you should still like it.

DBK

Case proven - unlike me you're clearly one in whom head rules heart. Of course my M8 takes wonderful pictures (despite my incompetence) and I love it to bits, but I'm so fickle ... every time something new comes along, I get that awful tendency to stray once more.

Being serious for a moment - in reality I'm very unlikely to replace my M8 in the foreseeable future - it wholly meets my requirement ... but that doesn't stop the lust.

If you really need digital but dont want an M8 then why not a Nikon D300. You can pick up old Nikon primes for it for next to nothing and Im pretty sure the body will retain resale value for a while to come (probably even better than the M8). Digital is here to stay and will keep progressing - there will really be no perfect time to get into it.

This is a good thought >:-))

Pretty sure the D300 and Nikon Primes and Zooms are a more than adequate solution.

OK, so the M8 is right out.

The RD-1s is out of production and a bit wonky.

No such thing as an M9 or a DCL.

But, you want to go digital. And, you want to still have enough money, if, and when, an M9 or DCL comes out.

Get yourself a Ricoh GR-D II and an optical VF! Walt has been using the GRD II to great, Leica-like effect and it costs less than $1000.00 (US). Sean Reid just posted his long, thoughtful and incisive review, so you can really get a good sense of what the camera is all about and what it can do. It's well worth the subscription fee.

http://www.reidreviews.com

Shoot with the Ricoh for a year or two, put the rest of the money in an interest-bearing account and when the M9 or DCL comes out, get it!

Good luck!

While I pefer and also had problems with the rd1 you might someone trusty who sells a well working and calibrated rd1 (I wont sell mine).

In this gallery you find some comparison images RD1 (EPS) vs DMR (L) vs D2x vs 5d.

Some are 100% crops. maybe some help.

I know you dont want to step into this discussion, but just get an M8 and Leica lenses (if you are on tight budget either summarits or older Leica lenses which you send in for coding), put Leica filters on everything wider than 35mm and b&w on the others and I dont see anything you would miss.

Regarding the future expectation: I was so confident in the M8 and a somewhat longer product life that first time in my life I got myself a second body (6 months ago).

I could be proofed wrong.

cheers, Tom

I tend to agree with Maggie..go for a 'bridge' camera such as GRD or lower end DSLR for the short term.

I have every confidence that the M9 will be announced at Photokina and deliverable 6 months later..it must.

It seems that Leica are not throwing big dollars into extending life of the M8...lack of updates and no real solution to completely solve the focussing issues.

The sooner they bring the M9 the sooner they start making more profit..the warranty claims on the M8 must be killing them.

So hold on....a 5k investment in an M8 now could be a shortlived one if you want the latest model, I also believe that the compatibility with existing lenses on the M9 will be vastly improved.

good luck

andy

Don't ask me why. I was just summing up the arguments I read on the thread and on other threads. Apparently, there are several problems with the reliability of the camera.

I have none personally so i must be lucky. Of course it is a discontinued model so it won't last as long as my M3 obviously. But who cares really? The fact is i don't use my M3 any more and when all DRFs will be full frame my dear Epson's will be retired anyway.

Guest tummydoc
Thanks for your contribution Vinay, but forgive me for saying so, I'd rather keep it all good-natured.

I know there are many people who think this sort of discussion is pointless/repetitve and/or simply foolish. But from the point-of-view of someone contemplating spending a relatively large amount of money on a camera (which I don't really want to buy), throwing a quick question out there to judge the general feeling about the state of the forthcoming market this year is worth discussing.

Anyone who thinks it isn't, can of course simply ignore the thread altogether,

You said:

I find that I now need to add a digital camera to my film cameras.......

...and then proceed to ask about 2 cameras that do not exist and even if they will, it will be at the very least a year in the future, as Leica is hardly able to handle one new major camera introduction at a time, and that will be the R10 if it in fact is good to go at Photokina 2008.

Then you said:

Hope people aren't too bored/annoyed with the question to give me some honest and straightforward advice.

I did just that, I advised you to purchase a [relatively] inexpensive Canon or Nikon dSLR in the meantime (again, because you said you needed a digital now), When I said discussing an M9 or digital-CL is pointless, I meant it in terms of this discussion, about your stated need for a digital in the present. I see nothing wrong with a "light hearted" shooting of bull in re cameras that do not yet exist, if that were to be the topic of the thread.

honestly, it's hard to advise on this choice; I own, like and use the M8 a lot and find it more than just satisfying; I had the RD-1 before and like the M8 better; waiting for the M9 is like holding on to a promise to be fulfilled that hasn't even been made; for me that's a kind of a technological romanticism which is just a waste of time in the end; don't forget: the people who have bought and used the M8 over the last 14 months have helped to make things better that are already pretty good; if the Volkswagen Beetle had not been constructed and bought there wouldn't be a Porsche convertible today; I guess if a M9 should really come, there will be a lot of people asking for the M10 the next day; meanwhile M8 users will have had a lot of fun and inspiration with their cameras

You said:

...and then proceed to ask about 2 cameras that do not exist and even if they will, it will be at the very least a year in the future, as Leica is hardly able to handle one new major camera introduction at a time, and that will be the R10 if it in fact is good to go at Photokina 2008.

Then you said:

I did just that, I advised you to purchase a [relatively] inexpensive Canon or Nikon dSLR in the meantime (again, because you said you needed a digital now), When I said discussing an M9 or digital-CL is pointless, I meant it in terms of this discussion, about your stated need for a digital in the present. I see nothing wrong with a "light hearted" shooting of bull in re cameras that do not yet exist, if that were to be the topic of the thread.

Here we go again......

Mani,

If you absolutely have to find a digital body that can use your M lenses and don't want an M8, you really don't have much choice. That 'choice' is an RD-1.

Used ones can be had between US$1400 to US$1700 and a new one is just running on eBay for about US$2100 - out of Japan.

I did spring for the M8, because I have a small army of M lenses andI did not want to wait anymore. The RD-1 did enter my mind but, the short RF base and limited frames swayed me away from it. I may buy it as a back-up to the M8, if a super price comes my way......

I don't know what your reasons are for not wanting an M8, so it is difficult to make suggestions. My 'bridge' digital Leica was the Digilux 2. Bought it used about 3 years ago, it now has a new sensor and I still believe that it is a very special camera. It does not take M lenses of course but, it is an absolute joy to use.

If I were to suggest a digital camera for you it would be the Digilux 2. You can always sell it when (or if) an M9 or Digital CL appears.

All the best,

Jan