Sign in to follow this  
plasticman

M9, digital CL or R-D1 - advice please

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Oh dear - my sincere apologies to those forum members who hate this sort of discussion - I really was trying to judge the general consensus from participants whom I felt would be the best informed (and therefore my choice of the M8 forum).

Such discussions can have a use imho. For instance, I have lately kept myself up-to-date with developments at Apple (as I'm vaguely interested in buying a new MacBook Pro to replace my existing model). If a forum member had asked whether the time was right to buy a new Apple laptop a week ago, I would definitely have advised them to wait for what might be happening today - something they might have missed.

In the same way, I don't want to do anything foolish when the consensus might be that new M-models are just round the corner - or even just six months away.

I didn't want to start a debate about the M8, but this wasn't either intended as a vaporware discussion.

Just as a note, my current lineup is an M7, M6TTL, Noctilux, Summilux 35, Summicron 90, Elmarit 21 and Elmar 50.

Thanks to all the constructive contributors. I guess we can call this thread closed.

Oh dear - my sincere apologies to those forum members who hate this sort of discussion - I really was trying to judge the general consensus from participants whom I felt would be the best informed (and therefore my choice of the M8 forum).

Such discussions can have a use imho. For instance, I have lately kept myself up-to-date with developments at Apple (as I'm vaguely interested in buying a new MacBook Pro to replace my existing model). If a forum member had asked whether the time was right to buy a new Apple laptop a week ago, I would definitely have advised them to wait for what might be happening today - something they might have missed.

In the same way, I don't want to do anything foolish when the consensus might be that new M-models are just round the corner - or even just six months away.

I didn't want to start a debate about the M8, but this wasn't either intended as a vaporware discussion.

Just as a note, my current lineup is an M7, M6TTL, Noctilux, Summilux 35, Summicron 90, Elmarit 21 and Elmar 50.

Thanks to all the constructive contributors. I guess we can call this thread closed.

That's fine because Apple IS coming out with a new model, Just like Apple and all other computer makers always do.

You take the only current DRF out of the equation and don't even want to discuss why and then go on to talk about vaporware cameras as alternatives.

Myself I'm going back to pen/pencil, paper and a filling cabinet until someone comes out with a computer that has all solid state storage and runs at 1,000,000 GHz.

That's fine because Apple IS coming out with a new model, Just like Apple and all other computer makers always do.

You take the only current DRF out of the equation and don't even want to discuss why and then go on to talk about vaporware cameras as alternatives.

Myself I'm going back to pen/pencil, paper and a filling cabinet until someone comes out with a computer that has all solid state storage and runs at 1,000,000 GHz.

Ed - really there's no need to get angry. No-one needs to read all the threads, and if they do, there's absolutely no need to get angry just because I was wondering whether anyone thought an alternative to the M8 was coming soon[ish] or next year. I honestly don't understand the reaction my question has caused - it's really bewildering.

Anyway, for everyone's information, new and ex-demo R-D1 models are still for sale - 'quirks' and all.

Guest stnami

Maggie

Don't ask me why.
......... dumb, pointless and silly

give it all away mani

:D

by the way this is my style of thread,,,,,,,,,,,,all over the place and makes perfect sense to someone..........

Hi Maggie

Some people can get very nice results out of the R-D1s. If bokeh is your 'thing' then this flickr page shows what can be done...

OK, for the record- I DON'T HAVE AN OPINION ON THE BLOODY EPSON.

My post was a recap of what had been written before and as I said- don't ask me about the RD-1, as I have zero experience. The general drift of the thread was that the RD-1 had some problems and as such, the consensus of the thread was skip getting one.

Move on people, nothing to see here.

This thread is hilarious!! I'm actually laughing out loud. Wow - and I thought I had problems with my temper...

Oh well, as Maggie said, move along...

Hey, there's actually losing your temper and then there's internet comedy losing your temper. I strive to be mildly amusing. YMMV.

Now, move along before I lose my non-comedy temper...

Hey Lct is that an Atmos clock in the background?

Just a wonky Atmos i'm afraid. Has lost its temper... err no its gas

The Epson *is* quirky. Read some reviews, anyone who wants to know. It gets worse corner performance than the M8, in spite of the greater crop factor, the rangefinder is wonky and problematic and needs adjustments (read some reviews), and on and on, but like the M8, it is fussy and has problems, but it is also a good camera. For me, I like it, but it was always too expensive for what it was. For me, I find that the M8, in spite of being more expensive, was not too expensive for what it was, so that is what I bought. Whatever.

Guest tummydoc

Exactly the point I made earlier. If he wanted a thread daydreaming about cameras that don't exist, that would've been fine, just phrase it that way. Instead, he says "I need a digital now..." and then poses a list comprised of three cameras, two of which do not exist, and then accuses everyone of combativeness who points out the ludicrousness of the premise.

After some vertical mislignments at the beginning of their life my R-D1 and R-D1s RFs are spot on to say the truth. Shot this one at f/1.4 with a late pre-asph Summilux 50 at 400 iso. Fantastic lens BTW. My hit rate with that combo is very good indeed. Same with the 50/1.4 asph despite its higher sharpness at f/1.4. Indeed vignetting is a problem with some CV lenses and even with Leica's from time to time. The M8 is much better from this standpoint.

Took my first walk with the R-D1s from Robert White today, below should be a quick output to web with no post-processing.

The feel of the camera is outstandingly good - feels really solid and the experience of shooting with it is very film-like. If anyone is curious (why should they be from the M8 forum?) I'll be posting more details over on rangefinderforum as soon as I get the time.

Thanks for the constructive contributions in this thread - I'm genuinely sorry that it seemed to irritate some folks.

Took my first walk with the R-D1s from Robert White today, below should be a quick output to web with no post-processing.

The feel of the camera is outstandingly good - feels really solid and the experience of shooting with it is very film-like. If anyone is curious (why should they be from the M8 forum?) I'll be posting more details over on rangefinderforum as soon as I get the time.

Thanks for the constructive contributions in this thread - I'm genuinely sorry that it seemed to irritate some folks.

Just one thing you might like to know, the paint on the Epson isn't very robust. On my R-D1 it very soon soon wore through to the base metal on the sharper corners. I particularly like the 1:1 viewfinder which allows me to view with one eye looking round the side of the camera and the other through the viewfinder. I can't remember how long I've had the camera, must be almost 2 years, never had any problems. Updated it with later firmware to turn it into a R-D1s in all but name

Bob.

Just one thing you might like to know, the paint on the Epson isn't very robust....

It's an euphemism... I would not use gaffer with those cameras. Also the rubber coating is so poorly cut and stuck that i've had to unstick it, re-cut it myself and locktite it to use it normally.