Visiting Milan - Tips

Nick_Yoon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm planning to be in Milan from Dec 23-29 and am looking for tips about Milan. I can find info on all the touristic stuff online, but would like to know about places or events that are not so well known or touristic.

Hopefully someone here knows Milan well?

I've read about the Navigli and Brera areas being interesting neighbourhoods - any others? Are there areas where traditional arts and crafts are still being practiced?

Are there any no-go (high crime) areas in Milan?

I notice that Dec 23 is the local derby, AC vs Inter at the San Siro - how is the fan mood usually? What's the likelihood of encountering trouble if I want to take photos of the fans before or after the match? I don't think it'll be possible to still get tickets at a reasonable price right?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Milan is a very interesting city. There are many pictures to be shot in the old center, around the Duomo, the Vittore-Emmanuele Galleria and the Scala. Have some walks around this area, and notice the old pink pavements in the streets.

Do not forget to visit The Last Cene of Leonardo da Vinci at Santa Maria Delle Grazie. It has been restored recently, and the colors are just wonderful. This church is also very interesting by itself with its eight-sided dome.

Around Milan, go north and visit Como. The lake is absolutely wonderful and it is full of souvenirs of the romantic nineteen century: visit the Villa d'Este where Franz Liszt and Marie d'Agoult spent some time, and where Liszt composed his famous piano piece "Les Jeux d'Eau à la Villa d'Este". Visit the Volta tower, dedicated to the inventor of the battery, thanks to whom we all use our digital outfit... Not far from the Villa d'Este, there is a beautiful museum where you will find a beautiful copy of Canova's marble sculpture of "L'Amour et Psyché" among other masterpieces (I think the original statue is in the Louvre in Paris).

Try to go to Varese and see the Lago Maggiore and its three lovely islands: Isola Bella, Isola Madre and Isola dei Pescatori. Stroll in the villages on the shore of this beautiful lake.

You will certainly enjoy veruy much this trip. Italy is incredibly beautiful at all times of the year. Of course, nothing to compare with Venice or Verona, but not inferior...

You probably already chose the monuments to visit in Milan. Still I also reecommend to visit the museum in the Castello Sforzesco where you will find the last sculpture of Michelangelo, an incredibly beautiful Piéta if I remember. Of interest is also the Brera Museum with its Pinacothèque (Painting of the dead Christ by Mantegna) and a scientific part with drawings of machines by Leonardo da Vinci.

And of course if you can get tickets for the beautiful staging of Wagner's Tristan and Isolde at the Scala by Patrice Chéreau, you will make many people very jealous (including myself...)

Don't forget you spare memoy cards and batteries (Thank you Mr Volta!)

Enjoy your trip! Cheers

Gérard

Milan, like all of Italy, is fascinating. If you want to see Leonardo's Last Supper, book now and you may just get in. We missed out - apparently, there's a wait of about a month now, but you may be lucky in winter. The Science and Technology Museum is excellent, with a Leonardo gallery full of recreations of his inventions. Galleria Vittoria Emanuelle is wonderful for people-watching. There's even a McDonalds inside, but also a wonderful historic cafe not far away near the Alessi Shop. The cathedral (exterior now being restored) has a wonderful interior, and everyone simply ignores the injunctions not to take photos. All of Italy is expensive now. Also pollution can become too much. I agree a trip to the lakes is well worth while. Enjoy your visit!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just returned from Milan. Above summarized the city well.

Nice city but Venice, Florence, and Rome are better, IMHO. Especially Florence.

While in Milan, pay this restaurant a visit for either lunch or dinner. They open till midnight.

Ristorante il Coriandolo

Via Dell' Orso, 1

20211 Milano Lombarde

Italy

Phone: +39 2869 3273

Fax: +39 2869 3302

It is located somewhat behind Scale Theater. About 5-10 minutes leisurely walk. Ask for direction.

The foods are so good, we went back twice. While you are at it, order a bottle of Italian wine. The waiters would be happy to make recommendations. And we like it too.

Have fun in Milano.

By the point of view of photos, keep in mind that Milano is not soo good for "street pics"... not special atmosphere... people are generally busy...you can maybe get some interesting shot in the "fashion area" were you can encounter some top model ;) ... and if you like to look at some interesting item of classic photo gear, pay a visit to Fotocamera, Via Santa Sofia (rather next to Duomo and Torre Velasca, interesting post-war architecture).

About "what to see", besides the already mentioned top point of interest (Leonardo's Last Supper, Michelangelo's Pietà Rondanini) in Milano there is a little very fine museum (Poldi Pezzoli) next to the Scala Theater, and an interesting Science & Tech Museum, not far from the "Last Supper" site.

About the "no go" areas... there are... but difficult you get there walking around... far from the town center.

If you like ancient town atmosphere... in 1 hour by train (or car) you are in Brescia, my town... that has an interesting very ancient zone.

... and if you like to look at some interesting item of classic photo gear, pay a visit to Fotocamera, Via Santa Sofia

Are there any other camera stores with interesting second hand gear?

If you like ancient town atmosphere... in 1 hour by train (or car) you are in Brescia, my town... that has an interesting very ancient zone.

I plan to visit a friend in Verona...any other smaller towns near Milan you would recommend?

What everyone else says. The catedrale and galleria are the best spots, IMO. If your wife (or girlfriend) goes she will love the shopping :) There are great, out of the way, restaurants where many celebrities eat. Ask your concierge.

As for Como, make certain it isn't raining if you head that direction! My last trip there was ruined by heavy rain which made viewing that wonderful area impossible.

Other interesting old photo equipment shop : Newoldcamera, Via Dante 12, between Duomo and the Castle; nice people.

Luigi, I see from their website that they have descriptions of lenses as "NR" or "CR" - what does this mean? Condition is "Stato"

Newoldcamera - Scheda prodotto

Does NR mean black and CR silver/chrome?