How to use the Shutter dial

A shutter dial on a Leica M like any other shutter speed dial sets the shutter speed. Just put the desired speed next to the marker. Page 40 in the manual.: Fixed shutter speeds. Note that Leica does not recommend intermediate positions. 

4 hours ago, iamjhil said:

Trying to wrap my head around the shutter dial.  Is there a way to make it completely manual,  not just the shutter speeds between X - Y ?  

Well, for the Q3, Leica decided to use the full-stop increment for the shutter speed dial. So, it will go something like 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250, etc. So, you have no choice. If you want something in between, you would have to access it via the menu system and use the wheel to adjust the speed. For other Leica Cameras, Leica might use ½ stops. So, you could go between the numbers shown on the dial.  My M10M does this. 

1 hour ago, ksrhee said:

Well, for the Q3, Leica decided to use the full-stop increment for the shutter speed dial. So, it will go something like 8, 15, 30, 60, 125, 250, etc. So, you have no choice. If you want something in between, you would have to access it via the menu system and use the wheel to adjust the speed. For other Leica Cameras, Leica might use ½ stops. So, you could go between the numbers shown on the dial.  My M10M does this. 

With digital captures it is hard to imagine any need for intermediate values - the exposure slider in postprocessing can easily take care of such minor discrepancies.

• Like 1