D-Lux 7 Shutter speed dial question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone tell me about the DLX 7 shutter speed dial highest speed setting, which has a 1/4000 indicated, but when in actual use, seems the 1/2000 is the highest can go... Why is that?  How can I use 1/4000 on the dial?   

Thank you 🙏 

Posted (edited)

Page 65 of the instruction book.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 1

Thank you to the above replies.   Although the issue remains.  

Which when I tried to use the widest aperture at 1.7, set mechanically with the aperture ring at 1.7, and let the camera to auto setting the shutter speed, it was never able to go to higher than 1/2000, then stop at that starts to flash at red warning.  Never able to make use the  1/4000 mechanical shutter, (or higher with electronic?)  Why?

The problem I have it that when lighting is bright, but I want to use f1.7 setting on the aperture ring (for less DOF purpose), while setting exposure on auto, it would not give 1/4000, upmost on 1/2000.   When setting the speed dial ring on "4000 -", it is not working (not giving) 1/4000, still highest on 1/2000.   How do I get the 1/4000 shutter speed?  

Is that the "4000-" setting on the shutter dial only works in certain mode?  

Out of curiosity I just tried mine.  Aperture priority, lens set to f1.7, swing the camera towards a bright light source and I can see the shutter speed increasing through 1/4000th up to the electronic shutter limit of 1/16000th.  

On page 4 of 4 on the top menu, 'Shutter Type', do you have that set to 'Auto'?

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Out of curiosity I just tried mine.  Aperture priority, lens set to f1.7, swing the camera towards a bright light source and I can see the shutter speed increasing through 1/4000th up to the electronic shutter limit of 1/16000th.  

On page 4 of 4 on the top menu, 'Shutter Type', do you have that set to 'Auto'?

Hi Keith, 

You set your DLX7 Aperture Ring on "A" to do that test, right?   Do you also know what function is the "4000-" setting on that Aperture ring?  I seemed have no usage found on that mechanical "4000-" setting... how do you use that "4000-" setting?

Do you also need to set that camera in certain way on the menu in order to have the: "shutter speed increasing through 1/4000th up to the electronic shutter limit of 1/16000th." ?  

Setting the dial to '4000' then pointing at a light source:-

As you can see, aperture is f1.7, shutter speed 1/4000, ISO 100.  Changing the aperture through f2.8, f4, f5.6 etc merely changes the ISO - speed remains at 1/4000.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Setting the dial to '4000' then pointing at a light source:-

As you can see, aperture is f1.7, shutter speed 1/4000, ISO 100.  Changing the aperture through f2.8, f4, f5.6 etc merely changes the ISO - speed remains at 1/4000.

Thank you Keith, 

Although on my D-Lux 7, the lowest ISO is 200 (200 - 25,000), how did you get the "ISO 100"? 

Ignore my post #8 - I made an assumption that I now realise is wrong - doh.  That '100' figure is not ISO, in fact I'm not sure what it does represent. As you wrote,  ISO 200 is the lowest available setting.

With reference to the screenshot below, you can see the ISO value and that '100' figure is replaced by a 'shots remaining' figure.  Very tricky trying to half-press the D-Lux 7's shutter button whilst taking a screen shot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

Ignore my post #8 - I made an assumption that I now realise is wrong - doh.  That '100' figure is not ISO, in fact I'm not sure what it does represent. As you wrote,  ISO 200 is the lowest available setting.

With reference to the screenshot below, you can see the ISO value and that '100' figure is replaced by a 'shots remaining' figure.  Very tricky trying to half-press the D-Lux 7's shutter button whilst taking a screen shot!

Wrong again, so more delving!  Having reformatted the SD card I see now that the '100'  was actually the 'shots remaining' i.e.space on the SD card at that time.  The 'r32'?  First thought was it showed the picture size ratio i.e 3:2 but switching to 16:9 etc doesn't change the r32 figure.  

Deeper delving - all the way to page 266 of the manual to discover that the 'r' figure represents the maximum number of shots that can be taken continuously.  One lives and learns...

• Like 1