Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

Is there any advantage to loading my Q2 DNG file into Photoshop verse’s Lightroom Classic right out of the camera? If I upload the file originally into LR Classic then send it to Photoshop is the DNG file condition the same as uploading from camera directly to Photoshop?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what you mean by "file condition", but yes you can open DNG files directly in Photoshop.  

If I remember correctly, in the PS 'File' menu go to 'Open' and navigate to the file location and select the file to edit, or on a Mac (I'm sure it will be similar on Windows) select the file and right click and then open with PS.  If it's a DNG (or other raw file) it will open in Camera Raw and you can edit it the same as you would in the Lightroom Edit Module.  You can then transfer it to PS or for further editing or save it there and then.  

If you don't want to use LR take a look at Adobe Bridge which can act as your file management system and allow you to open DNGs in Camara Raw and edit then and pass them to PS if you wish.

51 minutes ago, Bobitybob said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "file condition", but yes you can open DNG files directly in Photoshop.  

If I’m going to work exclusively in Photoshop I guess it makes sense to upload into Photoshop instead of LR then processing in Photoshop. Just wanted to make sure that there is no loss of Raw file information lost by downloading to LR Classic then moving to Photoshop to process. I’m new to all of this.

1 hour ago, Bobitybob said:

If it's a DNG (or other raw file) it will open in Camera Raw and you can edit it the same as you would in the Lightroom Edit Module.  You can then transfer it to PS or for further editing or save it there and then.  

Downloading from camera to PS, it will open in Camera Raw?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Bobitybob said: 

If you don't want to use LR take a look at Adobe Bridge which can act as your file management system and allow you to open DNGs in Camara Raw and edit then and pass them to PS if you wish.

Looks like I will use Bridge and process in PS.

Thank you!

The proper workflow is to download the files from your card into Bridge using its downloader and to open them from Bridge into Camera raw. Single files can be opened from the "open" dialog in Photoshop.

On 3/24/2024 at 3:46 AM, jaapv said:

The proper workflow is to download the files from your card into Bridge using its downloader and to open them from Bridge into Camera raw. Single files can be opened from the "open" dialog in Photoshop.

Thank you all!

Very helpful!