In the Shadows

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One reason I wanted to move on to the SL3 was the hope that the newer 60 MP chip[ would also do a LOT better in shadow recovery.  Well, it is midnight outside now, so here's an untouched shot in my neighborhood:

and with a little work (in Capture 1) to lift the shadows and control highlights

I didn't try this with the SL2 side by side, but I think there is a clear imrovement.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I spent time over the weekend getting data for Bill Claff's Photons to Photos analysis, to add the SL3's noise floor and dynamic range data to his compilation and compare with current and recent Leica products.  Here's the main result.  The M11's real ISO 50 is the best at ISO 50, since ISOs below 100 inthe SL2 and 3 lose headroom and probably should not be used.  From ISO 100 to 6400, the three current generation sensors are the M11, SL2-S, and the SL3.  Above ISO 6400, the SL3 pulls ahead by a small but definite margin.  The SL2 is clearly based on an older  technology.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I spent time over the weekend getting data for Bill Claff's Photons to Photos analysis, to add the SL3's noise floor and dynamic range data to his compilation and compare with current and recent Leica products.  Here's the main result.  The M11's real ISO 50 is the best at ISO 50, since ISOs below 100 inthe SL2 and 3 lose headroom and probably should not be used.  From ISO 100 to 6400, the three current generation sensors are the M11, SL2-S, and the SL3.  Above ISO 6400, the SL3 pulls ahead by a small but definite margin.  The SL2 is clearly based on an older  technology.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you for providing Bill with necessary data.

Here are my comment on measurements:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/390759-p2p-published-sl3-measurements/

4 minutes ago, Smogg said:

It's surprising that the M11 and SL3 behave as if they have different sensors

Even if the lower layers of the sensor in the two cameras are from the same source, There is a lot that is done differently on each.  e.g., contrast AF and phase detect AF require different information from each pixel.  And the SL sensor probably is optimized for the SL's lens offering, while the M11 takes pride in an entirely different set of Noctiluxes, Summiluxes etc.