Thumb Support for Q3 - too good to be true?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Q3 arrives today and I ordered a generic thumb support from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKH5BX2S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) for $100.

This is what arrived.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by egrossman

• egrossman changed the title to Thumb Support for Q3 - too good to be true?

The price is suspiciously low.

I dont trust Amazon. There are a lot of knock-offs of Peak Design products sold by companies with strange names. I complained about one, and Amazon wrote back and said that they couldnt prove that it was not legitimate, and would therefore take no action.

David

• Like 1

I would have thought it's a fake but for them to also fake a holographic watermark for such a low volume product makes no sense to me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I ordered the silver version on Amazon, also with a seller listed as Motoqueen. It also has the Leica branding on it. I don't know if this is a knockoff or what, but I will say this is a perfect fit on my Q3. It feels well made, the buttons work very smoothly, and it feels worthy of the camera to me. 

• Like 3

On 2/20/2024 at 10:13 AM, egrossman said:

My Q3 arrives today and I ordered a generic thumb support from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKH5BX2S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) for $100.

This is what arrived.

Checked out your link.  What is displayed, in Amazon, is not what you get.  In Amazon, it shows this generic looking thumb support (no branding).  What you get is the product you pictured.  Leica brand stamped/engraved.  Even the packaging seems to identical to Leica's product and material used seems to be the same (aluminum/aluminium).  Including part numbers.  I received mine on Friday, and so far it is working as advertised.  Go figure.

Edited by coleica

When I click on the link above, I dont see any thumb supports that look like the Leica one. But I do see a link to this Chinese knock off of the peak design quick release adaptors. There are many copies of this same design on Amazon, and I worry that p d will suffer. It should be pointed out that the pd version has three coaxial threads that strengthen the cords and, by their different colours, advertise any wear. These are not mentioned on the Chinese ads and are probably one reason for the low price.

The knock offs off the Leica thumb support are even dishonestly stamped with the same information as genune ones, and Amazon doesnt seem to police this piracy, but takes its cut, whatever gets sold. The original manufacturer deserves protection for the design and development effort and costs it incurs. Buying cheap copies damages innovation by companies like peak design.

Apologies for temporarily going off topic (I am just a customer of peak design as are many here), but this is an important and regrettable feature of Amazon that deserves wider publicity.

David

I just received my MotoQueen thumb rest for the q3 - same experience and comments as previous posters.

While not showing Leica branding on the Amazon page, I received a counterfeit knockoff of the genuine Leica grip. It includes trademarked logos and the engraved Leica Camera & Wetzlar Germany signature on the product. I'm not a lawyer, but this is illegal. The burden of policing falls on Leica to pursue the manufacturer, seller, and Amazon.

The Thumb Grip seems to be well made. It fits snuggly to the camera, and playing with it at home - mounted on the camera - suggests it works perfectly. I was prepared to pay for a genuine Leica grip, but there is no indication when it will be available (in black).

So, while I wouldn't say I like aiding an entity ripping off Leica, the 100.00 price tag (still not cheap) is a much better deal than the 245 Leica OEM version. One caution - included in the literature that comes with the grip - is a warning not to hold the camera solely via the grip!

Should we as a group - report this seller to Leica?

They didn't try to fool anyone, Brand-MOTOQUEEN listed a couple of times in the description.  As long as it works.  I wonder about the fact that they are branding it as leica though.

extract via AI / google re trademark infringement - lots of other posts relating to this issue.

"In the United States, trademark infringement is a civil offense that occurs when a company uses a trademark without the owner's permission. Trademark infringement can occur when a company uses a similar or identical mark on similar products or services in the same industry. For example, an online retailer might use a name, logo, or design similar to Apple's to make consumers think they are buying products directly from Apple"    

btw - it seems to work flawlessly - 

Buying a 6000 dollar camera and then being too stingy for the original accessories and getting product piracy items instead - that is the big enchilada.

The only thing that beats that is bragging about it here.

Edited by Blues Bird
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blues Bird said:

Well, delivered to your doorsteps within 2-5 days:

https://leica-camera.com/de-DE/fotografie/accessoires/handgriff/daumenstutze-q3-schwarz

My point exactly! As is the case with all those stores in Europe whose websites I have visited it says: „Derzeit nicht verfugbar“ (i.e. „currently not available“)

David

vor 59 Minuten schrieb David Wien:

My point exactly! As is the case with all those stores in Europe whose websites I have visited it says: „Derzeit nicht verfugbar“ (i.e. „currently not available“)

David

How hard can it be to decrypt a website?

If you take a closer look then you will find out that the thumb rest is actually available for online delivery within 2-5 days. It is in store online. What more could you want ?

There is absolutely no reason to buy an el cheapo knockoff, which hurts Leica and hurts the law.