I thought I was getting the hang of the rangefinder but ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, dpitt said:

If you do not really like 35mm on FF, that is a bit like me. I love my Summicron 40 C though. It is for me the perfect compromise lens. And on top of that one of the cheapest and best vintage Summicron's around. I had it modified to bring up 35mm frames on my M9 which works amazingly well, and it sits on my M9 90% of the time.

Absolutely. 40mm is perfect for me, wide enough to add context and get buildings in the shot, but long enough to fill the frame with your subject without getting too close. It's really good for street and lots of other applications too. I seem to always go for 15 ish, 24, 40, 50, around 85/90 and occasionally longer. 

On 2/15/2024 at 11:41 AM, FlickM said:

@Herr Barnack @strangeboy @rogxwhit @earleygallery @IkarusJohn @Pyrogallol @pippy (did I forget anyone?) thank you all so much for your kind responses. @dpitt had the solution: the head of the lens was not quite tight enough. I couldn't understand why I could focus my Voigtlander 40mm F2.8 Heliar but not the Elmar. I did know from internet research that the head of the lens can be removed, but i never thought to check it when I got the lens. You live and learn. You've all been very helpful, and I've learned a lot along the way. Now i can relax, get to know the lens and enjoy its qualities -

I have the same version of the lens, I didn't know the head unscrewed!

Now you know you can enjoy using it and getting to know its qualities. IMHO a perfect portrait lens and so compact and light to carry!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

I have the same version of the lens, I didn't know the head unscrewed!

Now you know you can enjoy using it and getting to know its qualities. IMHO a perfect portrait lens and so compact and light to carry!

I'm really looking forward to exploring what it can do. 85/90mm is one of my favourite focal lengths. Do you have a hood with yours? Does it have much flare? Mine came without caps or hoods. Have you posted any images taken with it?

22 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Not sure I really helped!

There is something special about the legacy lenses.  I have a 135 Elmar, sadly dead (Leica wouldn’t service it).  I do have a Summitar 50/2 from 1948, and it’s nice to use and has swirly bokeh when shot wide open, and a rather nice filmic character.  These lenses are cheap (by Leica standards), and there are lots of them about.  This one is from 1951, and at the top end of the price range.  The lens was made from 1939 to 1953(?) and only in LTM - the Voigthlander adapter is tiny and unobtrusive.

If you look for this lens, there are different versions - the later ones are coated (which is worth getting), and some model years had more aperture blades, giving a round aperture stopped down.  Worth looking out for.

Reasonably priced Leica/Leitz lenses can be a rare item.  Have fun, and keep posting!

In what way is your 135 Elmar “dead” ? There isn’t much to them. Is it haze or fungus, which doesn’t actually stop you using it, just reduces the contrast.

1 hour ago, FlickM said:

I'm really looking forward to exploring what it can do. 85/90mm is one of my favourite focal lengths. Do you have a hood with yours? Does it have much flare? Mine came without caps or hoods. Have you posted any images taken with it?

I don't have the hood and can't say I've had any problems with flare. There are a few images (posted some time ago) I will try to find and link them later.

I must get it out and on the M2 soon!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

I don't have the hood and can't say I've had any problems with flare. There are a few images (posted some time ago) I will try to find and link them later.

I must get it out and on the M2 soon!

Thanks, good to know. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is the original  IUFOO sun hood for 90mm and 135 mm lenses. It exists in several cosmetical variations and is still in use and production now. It is sold for 200€ brand new!

I think the Elmar 90mm is not especially flare sensitive, but condition matters, and as all vintage lenses it would benefit from the hood, if only to protect the front lens.

Just look for a used one around 50€, or a nice 135mm Hektor or Elmar vintage lens with the same hood ...
The Hektor with hood can sometimes be found for not much more than the hood alone...

And for those that think 135mm can not be focused with the Leica M, I found that it is fairly easy, certainly if you shoot it stopped down to F5.6 or F8
e.g. this shot with the M8 + 135mm Hektor (200mm eq)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

And for those who think you cannot do BIF with an M camera: Gull touching down.  Tele-Elmar 135, M8 (i.e. 200 mm) 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

In what way is your 135 Elmar “dead” ? There isn’t much to them. Is it haze or fungus, which doesn’t actually stop you using it, just reduces the contrast.

The focus cam isn’t working.  I’m sure someone will service it, just not locally.

IIRC the focus cam is internal and transferred to the roller wheel by a slide. Maybe the only thing needed is a drop of WD40 on the slide. To be safe, remove the optical assembly first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, unscrew the lenshead and spray some WD40 inside. I have a Mountain Elmar that has had the focussing connection arm removed at some time but I use it by scale focussing, chances are that you will mostly use the lens at infinity though there seems to be an obsession on the forum with wanting to focus very close at very wide apertures, when an SLR would be more suitable than a rangefinder camera.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dpitt said:

This is the original  IUFOO sun hood for 90mm and 135 mm lenses. It exists in several cosmetical variations and is still in use and production now. It is sold for 200€ brand new!

I think the Elmar 90mm is not especially flare sensitive, but condition matters, and as all vintage lenses it would benefit from the hood, if only to protect the front lens.

Just look for a used one around 50€, or a nice 135mm Hektor or Elmar vintage lens with the same hood ...
The Hektor with hood can sometimes be found for not much more than the hood alone...

And for those that think 135mm can not be focused with the Leica M, I found that it is fairly easy, certainly if you shoot it stopped down to F5.6 or F8
e.g. this shot with the M8 + 135mm Hektor (200mm eq)

Thanks Dirk. I've never heard lens hoods called sun hoods before. I will be sure to get one in due course - though hopefully used ... I could get another lens for the price of that! Nice birds BTW

Edited by FlickM

2 hours ago, Pyrogallol said:

I think “sun hood” is an American term?

I am not sure. See below.

2 hours ago, FlickM said:

Thanks Dirk. I've never heard lens hoods called sun hoods before. I will be sure to get one in due course - though hopefully used ... I could get another lens for the price of that! Nice birds BTW

Sunhood seems to be a common way of translating the Dutch word  "zonnekap" to English (literally). So I often see it on the English version of Dutch camera sites in Belgium and the Netherlands. e.g.
https://www.kamera-express.be/fujifilm-lh-gf63-sunhood-voor-gf-63mm-f-2-8
and
https://fotorobert.be/nl/product/454451/canon/sunhood-et-63

I was not aware it sounded strange for you guys. Thanks for letting me know. I will try to use lens hood next time 👍

Edited by dpitt

8 hours ago, dpitt said:

I am not sure. See below.

Sunhood seems to be a common way of translating the Dutch word  "zonnekap" to English (literally). So I often see it on the English version of Dutch camera sites in Belgium and the Netherlands. e.g.
https://www.kamera-express.be/fujifilm-lh-gf63-sunhood-voor-gf-63mm-f-2-8
and
https://fotorobert.be/nl/product/454451/canon/sunhood-et-63

I was not aware it sounded strange for you guys. Thanks for letting me know. I will try to use lens hood next time 👍

Actually when I looked for the item on eBay it was called sun shade in a couple of listings -  I’d never heard that term either 

On 2/18/2024 at 8:06 AM, jaapv said:

IIRC the focus cam is internal and transferred to the roller wheel by a slide. Maybe the only thing needed is a drop of WD40 on the slide. To be safe, remove the optical assembly first.

Yes, it has a slide which is raised internally, rather than the helicoid on later lenses.  Playing with it has freed it up - I suspect it was just stuck from lack of use!  I took the lens head off and carefully sprayed some CRC on the focus assembly - works like a charm, thank you!

Ready for action:

Edited by IkarusJohn
Added photo
  • Like 4

On 2/18/2024 at 10:21 PM, earleygallery said:

You actually have a lens hood or sun shade with you at all times, just use your hand to sheild the lens if shooting inot the sun!

That doesn’t come naturally to me, never has in 49 years of serious photography