Does the Q3 have a sapphire cover on its display?

Gerade eben schrieb Ad Dieleman:

As per the title. I have the impression that the display isn't very sensitive to scratching, but I'm still feeling a little insecure to use it without a display protector.

I have my Q3 alway in my cash cabinet that I bought especially for my Leica equipment. All parts that I store in that cabinet are wraped in silk clothes. That is how they increase in value over the years . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Q3 display is made of special Corning glass. I have never used a protector on my cameras (or iPhones) and they havent been scratched. It is really not difficult to treat them with a modicum of respect!

David

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, David Wien said:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Q3 display is made of special Corning glass. I have never used a protector on my cameras (or iPhones) and they havent been scratched. It is really not difficult to treat them with a modicum of respect!

David

Completely agree.  I have the original Q…four years old, nearly 100,000 shutter actuations and (horrors 😂) no screen protector.

Looks pretty much like the day I bought it…a couple minor scuffs that you have to look to find.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, David Wien said:

David

That’s what I have heard as well: gorilla-glass—same as used on the more expensive iPhones. Tough, but not indestructible, so I also use a protector just in case. I just got one of the thin Leica ‘hybrid glass’ ones. It just sits there protecting away—I can’t even see it.

Maybe I am a bit more paranoid because I have scratched a screen once ( with a protector on it 😉 ) 

14 hours ago, M11 for me said:

I have my Q3 alway in my cash cabinet that I bought especially for my Leica equipment. All parts that I store in that cabinet are wraped in silk clothes. That is how they increase in value over the years . . .

I bought the camera to use it. I know now that was a stupid mistake.

13 hours ago, Le Chef said:

I use Expert Shield Screen Protectors for all my cameras. They’re not expensive, come with a spare screen, and have easy to follow and install instructions.

Thanks for that, I have ordered one to see if it will work. So far screen protectors have been a royal nuisance on my other cameras, so the info about the supposed type of the Q3's display glass makes me feel more at ease. When using the EVF my glasses' rim often touch the display but no harm done so far.

3 hours ago, Ad Dieleman said:

Thanks for that, I have ordered one to see if it will work. So far screen protectors have been a royal nuisance on my other cameras, so the info about the supposed type of the Q3's display glass makes me feel more at ease. When using the EVF my glasses' rim often touch the display but no harm done so far.

Are your glasses made of diamond?  I ask because that is what is needed to scratch ordinary glass.  As to putting a cover on the Leica original, I dont see how that would prevent impact damage.

I believe that a modicum of care and respect is sufficient. 😀

David

• Like 1

This topic got me a bit intrigued so I did a bit of research. Apparently glass scratches at around the 5 to 6 level on the Mohs hardness scale (that includes gorilla glass) according to a source from Corning. Diamond is 10 on the scale. Ordinary steel is 4-4.5.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, thegobi said:

This topic got me a bit intrigued so I did a bit of research. Apparently glass scratches at around the 5 to 6 level on the Mohs hardness scale (that includes gorilla glass) according to a source from Corning. Diamond is 10 on the scale. Ordinary steel is 4-4.5.

Sapphire glass is a 9 on this scale. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Wien said:

Are your glasses made of diamond?  I ask because that is what is needed to scratch ordinary glass.  As to putting a cover on the Leica original, I dont see how that would prevent impact damage.

I believe that a modicum of care and respect is sufficient. 😀

David

After buying a Q3 I can't afford diamond-rimmed glasses 😀. Jokes aside, my glasses' rims are made of some sort of metal, don't know which. I don't see any scratches on the Q3's display so far.

• Like 1

I also have a thin glass screen protector installed on my Q3 and other cameras with exposed lcd screens.  The glass screen protector is hardly visable and the camera functions perfectly.  One potentially bad experience made me a believer.  On a different camera (Ricoh GRIIIx) with a screen protector, I bumped the camera hard against a metal chair arm when sitting down.  The corner of the lcd screen protector had a nasty spiderweb crack.  When I later removed the screen protector, the screen was undamaged and looked like new! 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 1:40 PM, Ad Dieleman said:

As per the title. I have the impression that the display isn't very sensitive to scratching, but I'm still feeling a little insecure to use it without a display protector.

No it does not. Leica being Leica would have told us if they used such a premium product on the rear screen. I can confirm that the EVF is more durable on the Q3 vs the Q2/Q. Those would scratch just from wiping them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1