Bad experience trying to buy Overgaard's Magnum strap

JJJS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I bought a Magnum strap from Overgaard for my SL2 in December. The 125cm version, as that size was, contrary to the 145cm, designated as "in stock" on the site. 

I saw that the straps were being sent from either the US or Europe, so send him/them a mail that I would prefer Europe (As I live in Europe and do not want to incur unnecessary import duties for an Italian strap....). No reply. A reminder. And again, no reply. Than I saw that the strap was no longer in stock, but was no labelled as on back-order. So I contacted him again, asking for the delivery time as well. And guess what, no reply.....

So I searched on this wonderful site, noting that various people had similar experiences with him. So I decided to escalate the matter in Paypal, trying to force him for a reaction. However, one month later and various reminders via Paypal also did not lead to any reaction, so Paypal simply decided to pay back my money. This was actually not what I wanted, as I want this strap and at least learn how long it will take (before I decide to buy something else).

As I liked his site, I subscribed to it early January. And guess what, I am since two weeks getting old kinds of "personal" mails asking me to buy this or that from him.

I sent him a return mail, actually a number of times ;), indicating that I would find it more appropriate for him to take care of existing customers rather than only trying to find new ones. And guess what? No reply......

So, all in all, I am now slightly hesitant what to do. I really like this strap, but that Overgaard person appears to me as somebody who is very happy with himself, traveling the world giving courses everywhere, but who does not see taking care of his on-line customers as a big priority. No way to run a business, if you ask me.

Anybody any idea how you can contact this guy and any advice what to do? I want this strap, but I am not going to wait for ages. Than I will go for an alternative.

I use the Peak Design Leash for my SL2. Easily adjustable length, comfortable, simple to detach, and pliable.  And with the strap connected to an anchor on one lug and with the other end to the small provided base plate, the camera and SL zoom hangs comfortably down at the hip or back rather than sticking out (with strap over shoulder or cross body). One could also choose one of the wider PD Slide straps.

I didn’t get along with the far more expensive Harry Benz SL strap.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

51 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

Lots of similar experiences have been mentioned on here before.

I wonder if they are all away in Africa killing elephants for their 'luxury' bags.

I must correct myself, he no longer kills elephants for his bags https://tonyortega.org/2018/04/20/joy-villas-scientologist-husband-shamed-into-dropping-elephant-skin-bags-from-luxury-line/

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jaapv said:

it used to be that Luigi's straps were the nicest - and IMO they are still at the top of the market.

https://www.luigicases.com/a000-STRAPS-page.htm

I have a Luigi wrist strap, neck strap, and an M9 half case.
NICE products. Luigi is a very nice man.
Mark

Edited by tappan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, earleygallery said:

Lots of similar experiences have been mentioned on here before.

I wonder if they are all away in Africa killing elephants for their 'luxury' bags.

Terrible. Also terribly handled by the person himself, I remember, by refusing to comment on the fact for a long, long time. No thanks. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Nobody needs this tosh (frippery and bling). Just get a decent strap (Peak, Journey, etc) and call it a day. I would never pay over $50 for a frickin' camera strap. 

Fully agree, don't fall into that trap of overpriced and (often) unnecessary luxury accessories. I did once, but nowadays I just use the simple standard Leica strap for my M.

• Like 3

Wow, I just learned a lot that fit my first impressions of the guy. Leica elitism at it's worst.
Please just withdrawn the order and buy from someone decent. Don't throw money for overpriced products at someone who obviously doesn't care. A lot of great alternatives have been mentioned in this thread.

You might reach him here, he might read your post because he is on this Forum. I used to read his blog because there are very good pieces on lenses etc. Between his youtube work and a very busy year of workshops, I doubt he would have time to call his Mum.  I am not making excuses for him, obviously he needs a Despatch person for his range of products.

I use rope straps but even those are more than $100 AUS now and going up twenty bucks every year. 

15 minutes ago, JJJS said:

I just read about the elephant bags. Illustrative....

just ordered a strap with Luigi

Way to go!

Luigi's site is not as nice looking compared to Overgaard's, but his products and service are top level.
I love my M9 case and wrist strap from Luigi. It gets better every day, even after 10 years of use.

Edited by dpitt
  • Like 4

I quite like the 1990ies style of Luigi’s site. 😀  His work is above reproach. I have a couple of straps that are two decades old and still in excellent shape. Good choice! For more utilitarian cameras like the SL an CL I prefer the Peak straps. 

• Like 3

Luigi’s website is a total disaster, and I love it! I have bought a number of half cases and straps from him (he is one of the few making half cases for lugless Barnacks.) The only one I wasn’t happy with was a leather strap dyed red on the inner side which left red marks on my shirts (now I prefer the ‘silky’ cords). Otherwise I find the quality to be high and the designs are good (I like the curved shape on the front of his half cases, for example). 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Luigi’s website is a total disaster, and I love it! I have bought a number of half cases and straps from him (he is one of the few making half cases for lugless Barnacks.) The only one I wasn’t happy with was a leather strap dyed red on the inner side which left red marks on my shirts (now I prefer the ‘silky’ cords). Otherwise I find the quality to be high and the designs are good (I like the curved shape on the front of his half cases, for example). 

These people have half cases for lugless Leica 1 and 2 models, but they seem to be out of stock of the nicest colours at present. They have half cases for lots of other camera brands as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204534778562

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Thanks 1