My buying a new M6 from the UK DHL shipping experience

Huss

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I bought a new Leica M6 from the UK because it was $1800 cheaper than buying in the US.
It was shipped via DHL so, based on past experience, I knew that DHL would try to pull a fast one.
Lo and behold, DHL tried to stiff me for an extra $306 in import duties.  And if I didn’t pay that in four days, they would send the camera back.
Ok, here we go.. call up DHL customer service and ask them to tell me exactly what that $306 was for.  Well, they had decided to label the package as ‘camera parts and accessories’ which is charged a tariff.  While ‘camera’ is not.

I pointed out their error, to which they said I had to send an email to duty_disputes@DHL.com.  Now I wasn’t just going to send an email, I was going to base it on fact so included the HTS code for import duties for cameras.

link here: https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=9006.40.90

A week later, they sent a new bill for $46 for their paperwork efforts.. yeah, I already paid postage etc but I accepted paying $46 vs $306 as a win.

Would I go through this again?  Most definitely.  I saved a tonne of money and the shipment was only delayed by a week.
If you buy anything from the UK or elsewhere, use that HTS link to see if there are any tariffs on what you are buying.  So you are prepared to deal with DHL.

FYI an example of savings - a Leica 50 APO M is $3000 cheaper buying from the UK than from the US.

• Like 1

Glad it worked out for you, despite the little glitch with DHL.

My only concern with buying from abroad is the hassle that might occur if there is something wrong with the product out of the box.  Any idea how Leica Manchester would handle this?   Would they pay the return shipping to the UK and then the cost to ship you a replacement?  I could ask them directly but assume you already inquired about this.

Edited by logan2z

The pay off..  I'll be honest, the only reason I bought the M6 was because the deal was too good to pass up.  Buying from the UK it was cheaper, by a lot, than buying a used MP in the US!  I can use this for a while and if I ever decide to sell it, would not lose any money on it.  Basically a camera for free...

The matte black paint finish is gorgeous - you have to see it in person.  It is really rich and deep looking, a perfect medium between the black chrome on the MA, M7, old M6s etc and the shiny black paint on the MP.  The tactile feel is a little less grippy than black paint, a little stickier than black chrome.

As for the camera itself?  Well, it's an MP of course dressed up as an M6.  I actually prefer the one piece film advance lever on the MP vs the hinged lever, as the single piece feels more solid and there is no difference in speed of winding!  I also prefer the MP's ISO dial as it is uncluttered and easier to read, but of course both those things are what makes an M6 an M6!

It really is amazing though that Leica is producing these film cameras in this digital age

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know why some major dealers don't forgo DHL when sending to the USA.  I've bought significantly from HK dealers and always got stuck with extra import fees when DHL was used.  Thanks for the heads up on how to contest these fees.  However, I've stopped using those HK dealers that use solely DHL as there are many others that use UPS or FedEx which never come with additional fees.  For example, a silver MP came in 3 days from HK for significantly less just yesterday via FedEx.  

26 minutes ago, ymc226 said:

I don't know why some major dealers don't forgo DHL when sending to the USA.  I've bought significantly from HK dealers and always got stuck with extra import fees when DHL was used.  Thanks for the heads up on how to contest these fees.  However, I've stopped using those HK dealers that use solely DHL as there are many others that use UPS or FedEx which never come with additional fees.  For example, a silver MP came in 3 days from HK for significantly less just yesterday via FedEx.  

If you are prepared with the correct HTS code, it is an easy process to dispute the fees.  Just follow the info I provided above, the only downside is about a week's delay.

Once DHL sees you've done your homework, they correct the issue.

1 hour ago, ymc226 said:

Obviously I cannot comment on deliveries to the USA but I have found DHL excellent when delivering to the UK, in fact the only courier I have experience problems with is UPS. 

10 hours ago, Huss said:

The pay off..  I'll be honest, the only reason I bought the M6 was because the deal was too good to pass up.  Buying from the UK it was cheaper, by a lot, than buying a used MP in the US!  I can use this for a while and if I ever decide to sell it, would not lose any money on it.  Basically a camera for free...

The matte black paint finish is gorgeous - you have to see it in person.  It is really rich and deep looking, a perfect medium between the black chrome on the MA, M7, old M6s etc and the shiny black paint on the MP.  The tactile feel is a little less grippy than black paint, a little stickier than black chrome.

As for the camera itself?  Well, it's an MP of course dressed up as an M6.  I actually prefer the one piece film advance lever on the MP vs the hinged lever, as the single piece feels more solid and there is no difference in speed of winding!  I also prefer the MP's ISO dial as it is uncluttered and easier to read, but of course both those things are what makes an M6 an M6!

It really is amazing though that Leica is producing these film cameras in this digital age

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The M6 looks great with the FLE, super cool. I still like that rectangular hood design vs. what the new broken version of the lens has.

7 hours ago, Matlock said:

Obviously I cannot comment on deliveries to the USA but I have found DHL excellent when delivering to the UK, in fact the only courier I have experience problems with is UPS. 

Import charge issues aside (I've only had lower priced items delivered by DHL)  I do agree that they've been a reliable delivery service from my experience. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mikep996 said:

FWIW, the pound has been steadily rising since its low of around 1.06 about a month ago - currently $1.22.  No idea where the "cut off for in the exchange rate is for a good deal...

If you go to the Leica Manchester website, you can see the price in USD so can determine if it is a good deal or not.  When you select USD, it removes VAT.

1 hour ago, Huss said:

If you go to the Leica Manchester website, you can see the price in USD so can determine if it is a good deal or not.  When you select USD, it removes VAT.

Their site is a bit confusing.  If I look at the BP MP page and switch the site to US$ it shows a price of $5368.08 - no great deal there.  But if I add the item to my cart and then look at the price it's significantly lower - $3666.67.  Much better :)

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

Their site is a bit confusing.  If I look at the BP MP page and switch the site to US$ it shows a price of $5368.08 - no great deal there.  But if I add the item to my cart and then look at the price it's significantly lower - $3666.67.  Much better :)

If you go to checkout it increases again showing the actual USD cost.