Disney World Kit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What would you bring—or what have you brought—to Disney World?

I'm going there this spring with my five-year-old son, five-month-old daughter, wife, and mother in law.  Obviously I am thinking more about the camera kit than any other part of the trip.

I own a Q2. That's probably the sensible choice. It's weather-sealed, allows for one-handed shooting, involves no lens changes, etc.

But I also own an M10, and I enjoy using the M system more than the Q system. Part of me wants to take the M10 instead of the Q2, with the 35mm Steel Rim Reissue. Wouldn't the glowy rendering make Disney look great?

I own a 21mm and a 75mm, but I don't think I want to juggle multiple lenses while managing two kids at a crowded theme park. Would a 35mm prove too restrictive?

I'm curious about what others have done, either at Disney or in similar places.

If you can, take both.
Q2 and M10+75

There will be a moment when your son is in a ride high in the air where even the 75 falls short to capture his experience. But it will certainly do a better job than trying to crop the Q2. Unless, of course, you're always on every ride with him. My wife and I used to take turns in that respect. He is 20 now 🙂

Usually I do not like changing lenses in the open air. Maybe you can take 35 with you for in the evening or at dinner time...

Edited by dpitt

Cannot go wrong with a little Summicron 28 on a M10...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

Iphone / Q2 and I would gently counsel on being with your two children rather than photography The five year old will have a magical time: even more so if you share it with him.

Agreed. This is time-with-the-kids day, not a photo essay. One camera: Q2 OR iPhone.  🙂

When my kids were little and we did such family things, I only took my Contax T3 and a few rolls of film.

Edited by MarkP

Well, one needs to be inconspicuous when photographing there, so, no Q2s, iPhones, or M's, or SL's, but stick with something like:

Edited by Jean-Michel
  • Haha 1

Thanks for these responses! Thankfully it's a regular Q2, not the Disney Q2.

To be honest, I'm not even slightly worried about not being present with my family and disappearing down a photo rabbit-hole. That's never been a problem for me. 

I'm also—and I mean this very respectfully—unpersuaded by the advice to use an iPhone. I think there are some unexamined assumptions in that advice. How would using a phone, instead of a dedicated camera, make me any more present in the moment, or simplify anything? Why would a phone be less obtrusive or distracting than a camera that's easy and fast to operate and can be used from the hip? I think we've all experienced being out and about—at a concert or museum or landmark, say—while surrounded by people with their phones held aloft, taking pictures. So there's nothing inherently unobtrusive or non-distracting about phones as cameras, from the point of view of the user; a phone camera can pull you away from life just as much as any other camera. (A phone photographer may stand out less to others, of course.)

This is off-topic, but, in general, I'm not a fan of the phone-as-family-camera strategy. As a parent to small kids who often works from home, I'm around parents and kids all the time, and one thing I notice is that many parents are glued to their phones. They are often mindlessly scrolling, or lost in work emails, or snapping away, always looking at the screen. Setting aside the matter of picture quality, there's the problem that the phone camera is also a potential distraction. I try not to use my phone around my kids, and prefer to leave it squirreled away in the house or buried in a bag. On the other hand, I almost always have a camera with me; from time to time, when I see a good opportunity, I'll quickly and seamlessly take a picture. My own experience has been that having a camera with me, rather than a phone, has led me to be more present, not less. My five year old son also has his own tiny camera, made for kids, and also enjoys taking pictures; he'll probably bring it on this trip, too. Photography is a positive thing in the family, a way to bring something artistic into everyday life. (It might help that I'm a fast and stealthy photographer; I'm not setting up a tripod, struggling to nail focus, and then asking my family to say cheese.)

I'm not trying to be judgey or reactive—just hoping to provide a counterpoint to the idea that using a phone camera will somehow help me be more present with my kids. I don't think it works that way, necessarily.

Back on-topic, I forgot another upside to the Q2: my wife and mother-in-law can use it to take pictures, too. Maybe on this trip, that will be a big advantage.

• Like 5

Good for you! When I was 5 (1951) my sister and I both had our Baby Brownie 127 film cameras to use on family vacations. We each got a roll of film (8 exposures) for a one-week trip, so we learned to just capture what we wanted to remember, not to snap everything in sight. (Of course, that one week trip was mainly driving...) Even as an adult I tended to take a single 36 exposure roll of Kodachrome for a family vacation. The emphasis was on family experiences. Often it would be some time later that the roll was used up and processed, so getting out the projector and screen was a treat to all remember the trip. I still tend to be stingy on exposures even with my M10.

• Like 1

I agree the Q2 is the way to go. It is designed exactly for the situation you are describing. One camera, one lens, crop if needed. If you were to going to carry a second camera it would prob be better off with a compact zoom with high end auto-focus. But I think max one camera per person is better - especially if you plan on doing many rides. Too much weight and hassle otherwise.

As an aside, my wife has the Disney Q2 (as a 50th birthday gift). Took it all around Italy and she loves it. She would have never thought of a Leica before - but she has a thing for Mickey Mouse. Will definitely be taking to Disneyland next opportunity, but prob without the kids.

Edited by Budfox

We took the kids to Lego land last year (much smaller I guess). It was a 3 day trip. I am definitely not a fan of the phone camera strategy as well and I fully agree that if anything, a camera makes you more present rather than the opposite.

I took m3, m2, 35mm summilux v2, 50mm rigid. I can't really help with your decision, only thing I can say is that based on what you wrote, I'd go with the magical look of the lux to match the location and mood. This is one of my favourite image from the trip:

Edited by Aryel
m2, 35 summilux pre-asph, delta3200 (dd-x)
  • Like 4