Q3 Monochrom ...Yes / NO

The minute it is announced, I will order one.  If the price for the Q2 M drops a huge amount, then I have to debate myself . . . If the past is any indication, I would expect the Q3 M sometime late 2024 (Novemberish) . . .

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 12:16 PM, PaulJohn said:

I would definitely want a Q3m (mostly for the aesthetic) but would not buy one. I would argue that once you add filters the benefits are mostly negated. The orange filter (most common) for example cuts out 2 stops of light which is approx the high ISO benefit you get from the monochrom sensor over the regular sensor. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I had the Q2m and now have the Q3. I've taken similar photos (not at very high ISO) and am very happy that the Q3 holds its own for tonal gradation. Actually I find that high ISO noise is much more pleasing on higher resolution cameras anyway. I've also come to prefer the channel mixing to easily change the tones of grass or sky with exact control and without the need for masks. I have spent quite some time creating LR presets to mimic various filters and found some surprises such as purple filters which I find quite useful.

Have you found that your Q2M still appears to be higher resolution even though it has less Mp than the Q3?  With the absence of the Bayer filter you're theroetically seeing "true" 47MP in your images.  

• Like 1