Dilemma on upgrading 50 M or 35 SL lens

Seba66

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The other side of the coin, that I didn’t mention (so as not to distract), is that ergonomics, controls, handling and usage enjoyment can matter. For me, these factors often outweigh IQ considerations, which for lenses, have been significantly neutralized across brands due to technological and manufacturing advances. Having gone through my own GAS phase in younger years, I now can far more effectively distinguish *why* I might consider any gear change.

In recent years, advancements in processing and printing software, hardware and materials have yielded more valuable improvements in my photography than any camera/lens changes.  Three M Leica lenses, none of which are current iterations, have served me well for many years.  DAG did, however, make the focus action on my 50 Summilux ASPH v.1 far more enjoyable.

Jeff

For the prices of these lenses, I prefer the fact that M lenses are as optically precise as they could be (when they were made), without relying on software corrections.  In saying that, I understand the SL lenses were designed as part of a system, so enhancements could be made in lens design, with the added benefit of corrections in camera.  Conversely, M lenses do not have that benefit (aside from the physical need for microlenses on the sensor for wides - interestingly, not required for film).

Why should this matter?  Well, it means that my 50 Summilux ASPH will keep on working with an M mount camera (or others, with adapters) till it falls apart.  Manufacturers and today’s (younger?) photographers are far more accepting of obsolescence in electronic equipment.  I’m still using a lens made by Leica in 1948.  The 50 Summilux-M ASPH is a classic Leica lens.

As for the haptics of the 50 Summilux, for some people, it’s front heavy, others seem to mind that it is really only particularly sharp in the centre (apparently - hasn’t bothered me) and you will find discussion here, back when the lens was released, that the focusing is stiff, especially when the FLE kicks in.  I have the lovely silver chrome  version, which is even heavier as it is made of brass - I could not bear to part with it.  When it was new, I used to sit in front of the television (in the evening) and work the focus ring in my hands - it is now buttery smooth.

As to rendering (that’s what it’s about, right?), it is very similar to the Noctilux 0.95 (without the additional stop and a bit).  Conversely, the 35 APO Summicron-SL ASPH is one of the best SL lenses (apparently) - I decided to sell out of SL lenses in focal lengths I had in M mount.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

'Nothing special coffee shot' with my newly acquired M 50mm f/2 'safari' on my SL2-S; I also have the SL35mm f/2, but the M is delightful, smaller (obviously) and more involving.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

What do You miss with your lenses?

is it gas to replace the sigma 35 with the apo or do you miss anything?

same for the 50 Nokton.

And which focal length is more important for you?

Neither 35 or 50 will offer you the range of the 24-90

I really like the 35 apo sl , but if you use 75% M, wouldnt it make more sense to buy an M lens?

• Like 1

Boy, you couldn’t have picked two more different lenses to choose between. Not even thinking about the difference between 35 and 50 mm, these lenses just provide a completely different look from each other.

The M Lux wide-open gives a very painterly look, even if you don’t nail focus it can just give a very impressionistic look to a photograph. And it can be a very sharp, of course. I kind of look at it as a poor man’s 0.95 50 Nocti.

The 35 SL APO is just completely different. Just insanely sharp, extremely realistic color. it gives a very modern look to your photographs - the opposite of the M Lux 50.

i’ve owned both of these lenses and used them extensively. Sold the 35 because I just do not care for that focal length. Kept the 50 because I consider it to be a foundational lens for any Leica setup - if you’re looking for a one body, one lens set up, this is a great choice.

The 35 SL Apo is much more technically accomplished, and will have you whistling through your teeth when you see how sharp and vivid it is. So it really boils down to what your use case scenario is and how you want your pictures to look.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, tom0511 said:

What do You miss with your lenses?

is it gas to replace the sigma 35 with the apo or do you miss anything?

same for the 50 Nokton.

I think that when an amateur, like me, talks about upgrading gears there is always a GAS component. Then in my case I try not to make it the main part of my motivations, but I don't necessarily succeed 🤣.

If I’m going to sell the 24-90 I will stay with the 35 and 65 Sigma i, along with M lenses. Weather sealing is what I will miss more as I’m used to carry the SL system when i do travel in hostile environments (and I do), this is why I do consider the 35 SL APO (not interested in the non APO version). Except for this I do not missing anything with the Sigma and I love its metal build and aperture ring.

I like very much also the 50 Nokton, it’s a great all around lens, only concerns are the high vignetting and the focus tab missing (especially this one last for me). But I understand tha fascination that Leica lens has to me play here an important role, so I would like to have at least one Leica lens in the M system, that I use today more then the SL one. I have to admit that it is the main reason behind my thoughts on acquiring the 50 Lux ASPH I in place of the Nokton.

After reading many of the comments that you guys did, most of them, maybe all of them, very informative, I’m thinking to keep my actual configuration. I understand that going from the 24-90 to 35 SL APO doesn’t solve the size and weight issue for traveling in hostile environments with multi-days trekking and without selling the 24-90 I’m less motivated to fund the changing from 50 Nokton to 50 Lux. Maybe I'll wait a while to set aside enough $ to satisfy my GAS and I could do it in a very different way, for example by aiming for a 35mm for the M in all occasions when I want to go around with a single body, single lens kit.

I’m pretty sure I will end up with a Leica lens for the M, it's only a matter of time to accompany the GAS with the right rational motivation 😀