M8 shutter error

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve had a really good working M8 for a few years. But I have also had an M9 since since 2020, so the M8 hasn’t been used so much recently. However the M9 is in Wetzlar being repaired so I went back to the M8 only to find that it has a shutter error which started with a lot of whirring noise and then just stopped working. Given the likely repair cost is it worth pursuing it? I do love my M8 but already paying out ££ on the M9! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
Jacqui

In my experiences with M8/M9 battery, when not in use for a while, the batteries have weird behavior.

Have another known good battery in your M8, then try again, maybe it's old battery "again".

• Like 2

Sometimes the nylon "fingers" which control the shutter get stuck. This is a simple and not-expensive repair, as only the bottom plate needs to be removed. Send it in, you might strike it lucky.

• Like 2

Hi 

Thanks for replying and I appreciate it. However it is not a battery issue, it is  shutter fault. This is how it is described on the viewer screen. Essentially the shutter button doesn’t activate and no picture can be taken. So obviously there is a mechanical problem of some kind but I don’t know how bad it is. I’m guessing it will have to go to Germany for repair but I’m just gauging opinions on whether it’s worth it! 

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@Jacqui

So sending to Wetzlar is the only option.

I fear that if shutter repair possible, the cost will be high and maybe not "economical viable".

You will see after estimation.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

Thanks both - it’s clear that you’re both right; getting the estimate and making the call then is the way forward. Well, as I already have a 1:1 relationship with Mayfair Leica, which is where I have to first send it, hopefully it will be straightforward enough to do. Thanks 🙏🏾 

Posted (edited)

Thinking out loud, but buying an M8 with a good shutter and low shutter count but with other terminal problems (sensr, screen whatever) would give you a shutter unit that a competent repairer might well be able to fit to your camera. Just a thought that might be worth exploring.

FWIW UK dealer prices for working M8s are now ~£1kish.

Edited by pgk

26 minutes ago, Jacqui said:

Hi 

Thanks for replying and I appreciate it. However it is not a battery issue, it is  shutter fault. This is how it is described on the viewer screen. Essentially the shutter button doesn’t activate and no picture can be taken. So obviously there is a mechanical problem of some kind but I don’t know how bad it is. I’m guessing it will have to go to Germany for repair but I’m just gauging opinions on whether it’s worth it! 

This was exactly the behaviour of mine, and it turned out to be a battery issue. The screen read out shutter fault. You can have a look at this thread which talks about it.

vor 20 Stunden schrieb Jacqui:

Hi jaapv - when you say that a replacement is expensive, what do you mean by that? A replacement camera?

The replacement of the shutter will cost around 900 €. This will be the highest price you should expect. However, it looks quite good that it could be a marginal problem (see above).