Is it possible to downgrade firmware?

Beewacker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Happy Holidays All!

I installed FW 2.02 on my M11 a few weeks past and it has been a disaster for me, so I'd like to go back to FW 2.01, which I didn't have any problems.

When I try to boot up the (old) FW 2.01, I don't get the option to "update" the firmware, it's grayed out in the camera menu.

Does anyone know if it can be downgraded to an older firmware?

Thanks to all!

Ron

Short answer is … NO

Long answer …. However, there could be an undisclosed procedure known only to Leica, but it’s unlikely to be accessible through standard methods. Moreover, Leica might not be willing to assist unless your camera is bricked.

I don't want to say "I told you so", but I just said that. 😁

jokes aside, Stef63 is right, it's NO.

I heard from a friend that someone did it with some cumbersome procedure, and very error prone.

and short answer to your question is: just don't do it. Live with it for now, and hope Leica comes with a new firmware soon.

It is possible to downngrade but only with special software that Leica will not give to us. Perhaps you can send the camera in so that Leica can install a different firmware. But by the time that happens, firmware 2.0.3 will have been released and the bugs from 2.0.1 will have been fixed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Beewacker said:

Happy Holidays All!

I installed FW 2.02 on my M11 a few weeks past and it has been a disaster for me, so I'd like to go back to FW 2.01, which I didn't have any problems.

When I try to boot up the (old) FW 2.01, I don't get the option to "update" the firmware, it's grayed out in the camera menu.

Does anyone know if it can be downgraded to an older firmware?

Thanks to all!

Ron

I feel for you but his is the reason that I never update the firmware on any device or software that works well unless there is a good reason to do so. And this is why companies supply “ new in this version “ notes with each update to let the user decide. 

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

I feel for you but his is the reason that I never update the firmware on any device or software that works well unless there is a good reason to do so. ,...

I take the opposite view.  Leica has a limited number of engineers to address the electronics of their modern Ms, so I expect that they will deploy them only to address support of the most recent release and to work on planned improvements for future products.  Good luck getting any further fixes on 1.6.x!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I take the opposite view.  Leica has a limited number of engineers to address the electronics of their modern Ms, so I expect that they will deploy them only to address support of the most recent release and to work on planned improvements for future products.  Good luck getting any further fixes on 1.6.x!

your logic is completely flawed.

you do understand that people like me with 1.6.1 firmware have the option of updating it to any future version like 2.0.3 or whatever it is, still get the latest greatest features and bug fixes?

On 12/20/2023 at 8:02 PM, Warton said:

your logic is completely flawed.

you do understand that people like me with 1.6.1 firmware have the option of updating it to any future version like 2.0.3 or whatever it is, still get the latest greatest features and bug fixes?

I don't think so.  If you are really happy with 1.6.1 and don't want the new features of 2.0.n, but then discover some problem (like freezes when you do something you weren't doing before) your only option is to upgrade to one of the newer releases, which may include things you were trying to avoid.

• Thanks 1