The Iconic Leica Look

Herman Zhang

PGK that Cooke information was awesome. Thank you for that! 

Might as well do a 2001 intro with, brushes and paint and drawing sticks being smashed and one being thrown into the air and then changing into a modern day camera, because that's how long we've been trying to capture light, color and shadow!

22 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Leica had a Cooke lens rebranded as their own, the Taylor, Taylor & Hobson Summarit 50/1.5 in M39 and M mounts. No sign of either Cooke or Leica look with that lens.

Yes, Al, but to be fair the 50mm f1.5 Summarit was really just a mildly-tweaked Xenon (TTH design from 1930 originally licensed to Zeiss and subsequently licensed to Leitz) and, being a 7 element / 5 group optical design has practically nothing in common with the famous 'Cooke Triplet' apart from TTH having being given the licensing rights to market Cooke's lenses.

It does show the 'Leica Look' off quite well, though......😸......just for a giggle here's the very first pic I took with my own 1953 Summarit (M);

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Herman Zhang said:

It's a shame that m10 and m11 lost the leica look in terms of how the colour is rendered, and that's one of the reasons why I got a m240 over m10.

Your opinion is not shared by M10x* or M11x* user.

* mainly in Monochrom models

** anyway we are here even to read some opinions

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

Say what?

Yeah. I've only just realised who this clown is. It's been a fortnight since I worked out that each thread they've started is intended to wind-us-up-and-set-us-off.

I must remember to put them on my 'Ignore User' list.

P.

• Like 2

vor einer Stunde schrieb pippy:

Yes, Al, but to be fair the 50mm f1.5 Summarit was really just a mildly-tweaked Xenon (TTH design from 1930 originally licensed to Zeiss and subsequently licensed to Leitz) and, being a 7 element / 5 group optical design has practically nothing in common with the famous 'Cooke Triplet' apart from TTH having being given the licensing rights to market Cooke's lenses.

It does show the 'Leica Look' off quite well, though......😸......just for a giggle here's the very first pic I took with my own 1953 Summarit (M);

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

Absolutely great photo!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, pippy said:

Yeah. I've only just realised who this clown is. It's been a fortnight since I worked out that each thread they've started is intended to wind-us-up-and-set-us-off.

I must remember to put them on my 'Ignore User' list.

P.

I mean, there’s hordes of forum individuals here in LUF who start meaningless threads with clickbait titles and completely chewed up content just so they can participate in a debate and feel noticed so I did not realize what you realized here 😄.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

...there’s hordes of forum individuals here in LUF who start meaningless threads with clickbait titles and completely chewed up content...

To be fair there has been quite a bit of fun and info posted here so it's not been all bad by any stretch of the imagination. Sadly - having just checked on an earlier thread started by the same OP - we still don't have an answer to the burning question of the day; i.e. 'Which shampoo was favoured by HCB?'...

😸

Philip.

• Haha 4

On 12/20/2023 at 3:34 PM, pippy said:

To be fair there has been quite a bit of fun and info posted here so it's not been all bad by any stretch of the imagination. Sadly - having just checked on an earlier thread started by the same OP - we still don't have an answer to the burning question of the day; i.e. 'Which shampoo was favoured by HCB?'...

😸

Philip.

Rodinal.

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:34 AM, pippy said:

😸

Philip.

C'mon people.  Seriously?  Rodinal?  HC-110?  I absolutely abhor these silly discussions.  What a waste of time.  EVERYONE knows that the brand of shampoo wasn't important.  What was important was the one minute pre-soak in 72º distilled water with a gentle agitation routine prior to applying whatever developer... errr... I mean... shampoo there was laying around that's important.  Pre-softening the emulsion...err... I mean scalp is what was MOST important. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

C'mon people.  Seriously?  Rodinal?  HC-110?  I absolutely abhor these silly discussions.  What a waste of time.  EVERYONE knows that the brand of shampoo wasn't important.  What was important was the one minute pre-soak in 72º distilled water with a gentle agitation routine prior to applying whatever developer... errr... I mean... shampoo there was laying around that's important.  Pre-softening the emulsion...err... I mean scalp is what was MOST important. 

...not forgetting to use some wetting-agent to act as a 'Conditioner' in the rinse-wash stage to sort-out any tangles...

P.

• Haha 2